IS IT UNETHICAL/FROWNED UPON...

Pages: first 12 next last
To use resources dug out of other people's project folders for your own game after you've installed their game?

Open question...
If the resources are 100% custom then yes.
Rhyme
Tear Harvester Rhyme
Always ask first though, the creator may give you permission. :D
post=148193
If the resources are 100% custom then yes.

I think it also applies if the resources were heavily edited. But yeah just ask.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Honestly, this shouldn't be acceptable behavior in most cases.
Unless you ask, then no.

Most resources are edited to suit the creator's needs. Besides, it's just proper etiquette. =D
NewBlack what do you want to use exactly?
Ahh I found some chipsets and possibly charasets in a couple games I downloaded that I really wanna use :) I guess I'll just ask the game creators first. I don't think that they're custom content.. I just haven't been able to stumble across them on the internet.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
How is it any different from using resources ripped from big-name games like Final Fantasy?
It isn't, but I don't really care about that. If I can ask first, I will. Whether one actually goes ahead and does it anyway is up to them, but hey, no harm in asking.
post=148210
How is it any different from using resources ripped from big-name games like Final Fantasy?

What do you think their answer would be if you asked?
Happy
Devil's in the details
post=148210

Ever heard about honor among thieves?
I am pretty sure there is a difference between using well recognized graphics from games that came out 14 years ago to using perhaps unknown graphics that one dude edited/created within the last three or four.

The major problem with taking graphics from other RPGMaker games is that people pretty much assume wherever they were seen first has some magical claim to them, so if I take graphics from some obscure game and use them for a more well-known game, those graphics are associated with my game, not the game that they originated from.

Nobody is going to see an FF6 chip and go "this chipset is from an Rm2k3 game" but they might see a custom RM2k3 chip and think "this chipset is from SUCHANDSUCH game" where it really wasn't

I mean, if I used a panorama from The Way people would probably be able to guess, but there are lots of obscure games and custom content and it is a pretty horrible thing to do to use it without permission if its possible to get that permission. Even if you at no point claim to have made it yourself (or even if you say in big letter who the original author was) a lot of people are going to associate that content with your game as the original source, which is bad business all around.
post=148217
I am pretty sure there is a difference between using well recognized graphics from games that came out 14 years ago to using perhaps unknown graphics that one dude edited/created within the last three or four.

The major problem with taking graphics from other RPGMaker games is that people pretty much assume wherever they were seen first has some magical claim to them, so if I take graphics from some obscure game and use them for a more well-known game, those graphics are associated with my game, not the game that they originated from.

Nobody is going to see an FF6 chip and go "this chipset is from an Rm2k3 game" but they might see a custom RM2k3 chip and think "this chipset is from SUCHANDSUCH game" where it really wasn't

I mean, if I used a panorama from The Way people would probably be able to guess, but there are lots of obscure games and custom content and it is a pretty horrible thing to do to use it without permission if its possible to get that permission. Even if you at no point claim to have made it yourself (or even if you say in big letter who the original author was) a lot of people are going to associate that content with your game as the original source, which is bad business all around.

You're right yeah. Thinking about it, considering how long-winded and tiresome it is to just do some heavy edits.. I'd be pretty upset if somebody bigger/better than me were to use my custom content. Some guys on here are more "famous" in the community than others and franky, put out some much more awesome games than I could muster myself right now. I'd be gutted if something I painstakingly pixelled together was used without my permission.

Anyways, I'll be asking the relevant sources, there are a couple.. And I don't think they actually made or even maybe edited the particular resources I used (they tend to tag their custom resources from what I've seen).. However... I'll ask anyway.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I agree with Kaempfer and Ness.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
its very difficult to care about such a trivial thing as someone using your content to make an rpgmaker game for fun. i mean, really, people need to chill. rpgmaker=SRS BSNS!
It is serious business, how did you know?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=148221
post=148217

You're right yeah. Thinking about it, considering how long-winded and tiresome it is to just do some heavy edits.. I'd be pretty upset if somebody bigger/better than me were to use my custom content. Some guys on here are more "famous" in the community than others and franky, put out some much more awesome games than I could muster myself right now. I'd be gutted if something I painstakingly pixelled together was used without my permission.

Anyways, I'll be asking the relevant sources, there are a couple.. And I don't think they actually made or even maybe edited the particular resources I used (they tend to tag their custom resources from what I've seen).. However... I'll ask anyway.

I'm sure far more time, effort, and money went into making tilesets for big-name SNES games than went into a custom tileset for an RM* game. It's awfully hypocritical for someone to flip shit at someone else for taking their original graphics while they themselves use graphics stolen from someone else.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
post=148237
It is serious business, how did you know?

my grampa told me!
Pages: first 12 next last