LOZ RPG

Pages: first 1234 next last
Story:After TP Link decided to explore new lands. After a month at sea, he arrives at the kingdom of Norrea. After going inside the castle and talking with the king, Link learns that the kings daughter was kidnapped and Borzi, the the knight captain joins you and thats all i got.
good?
So.. Does it have to be a LoZ game or can you just replace Link with someone you made yourself?
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Well, I guess it depends on what kind of story you want to tell. Do you want to be true to the Zelda franchise and follow a formula like they do, or try something different and unique?

It'd be much easier (and probably make more sense to players) if you do just mimic the games and their usual story progression. Introduce the Big Bad and find the 8 Special Widgets to defeat them.

And that's about as much advice as I can give you. You should really be more specific in what sort of help you need; story is a very big subject! And if you can't even lay out a basic structure for one, then you may not be ready to make one.
meh i was thinking that Link could find a crystal or something. also made up to the first boss. who should the main bad guy be? on a side note, first game!
on a side note, first game!

I noticed.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
post=150021
So.. Does it have to be a LoZ game or can you just replace Link with someone you made yourself?

Thats always a good question to ask. if you aren't going to make a game exactly like the franchise it might make your game more awesome if you just make something of a parody. I'm actually making a zelda game but I will probably use my own characters and call it something else.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Especially if you are planning using a turn-based RPG battle system, you should really consider making the game original instead of a LoZ fangame because the action battle system was at the heart of it and tied closely with the puzzle elements.
Okay then. You guys get to make the custom Character. keeping the demo though.
post=150019
Story:After TP Link decided to explore new lands. After a month at sea, he arrives at the kingdom of Norrea. After going inside the castle and talking with the king, Link learns that the kings daughter was kidnapped and Borzi, the the knight captain joins you and thats all i got.
good?

This is not much of a story.
Story:The president has been kidnapped by ninjas, are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Why do all the Links decide to travel and explore new lands after they finish their quests? I mean, aside from it being narratively convenient. I understand that part of the reason. But it's been done to death.

If you really want to make it a Zelda game, it should have Zelda in it. Maybe have Link arrive on the island chasing Zelda after she was kidnapped. Then do the other stuff you were going to do.

Basically if you want to make a Zelda fangame, you need to have a very strong justification for why you're calling it a Zelda fangame. The gameplay alone isn't enough, especially if you're making it an RPG instead of following the original style of gameplay. It needs to actually be a Zelda game, in pretty much every possible way.

Don't start telling me that Link's Awakening didn't have Zelda in it. The difference is, that wasn't a fan game. That was a real game. The series's real creators can do whatever they want to the series. But a fan work needs to stay true to its source. The fact that you're already significantly changing the gameplay is going to severely limit the amount of originality you can justify including in the story.

At this point, I'd say your game makes a better Lufia or Wild ARMs game than a Zelda game, since Lufia and Wild ARMs had the same style of Zeldaish puzzles, but were RPGs.
Hm. This game doesn't sound like much of a Zelda type game, just from the storyline.

ALMOST sounds like a final fantasy (9 in particular, cept garnet they find out is with you).

I'm not sure what to say, besides make your custom character more or less a guy out for vengeance against something. It usually works.
post=150045
Especially if you are planning using a turn-based RPG battle system, you should really consider making the game original instead of a LoZ fangame because the action battle system was at the heart of it and tied closely with the puzzle elements.

The same could be said for Mario and platforming, and yet, Super Mario RPG, the Mario and Luigi games, and the Paper Mario games are some of the finest Mario games around, despite being RPGs and turn-based. If a Zelda RPG fangame were game, I'd like for it to stray from the norm and go the Super Mario RPG route - introduce actual RPG mechanics and an RPG battle system to boot. Of course, the aforementioned games did have platforming elements, so the puzzle elements in Zelda games should stay, for obvious reasons.

Of course, judging from reading this, I'm not sure this developer is ready for a Zelda fangame. There's not much substance here, unfortunately.

Pages: first 1234 next last