GAMEPLAY IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS

Oh! I just remembered a great example of this in the real world. Grandia Xtreme. It was a ton of fun, but the story was a joke. It sent you to the same 5 locations over and over each time with like 20 levels of depth. Now THAT was a combat simulator.

But my real issue with story is not the storyline itself, it's the individual scenes/dialogue/etc. And the pacing.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=151526
Oh! I just remembered a great example of this in the real world. Grandia Xtreme. It was a ton of fun, but the story was a joke. It sent you to the same 5 locations over and over each time with like 20 levels of depth. Now THAT was a combat simulator.

But my real issue with story is not the storyline itself, it's the individual scenes/dialogue/etc. And the pacing.

Pacing is usually a matter of preference. Some people might prefer a story-intensive first half and a gameplay-intensive second half, vice versa, even spacing, or nothing of the sort.

I think we all have one or two strengths when it comes to RPG makering.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Gameplay has to fit the presentation, which has to fit the gameplay. Basically, what Darken said in the OP since that's the only thing I've read besides some asinine and completely useless posts about Chess.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=151537
Gameplay has to fit the presentation, which has to fit the gameplay. Basically, what Darken said in the OP since that's the only thing I've read besides some asinine and completely useless posts about Chess.

And (opening) chests!
I'd be willing to say that if someone around here really enjoys creating and tweaking game mechanics, particularly for RPG's, but don't like bothering with story, characters, dialogue, etc., good help in those areas could be found around here. I think a lot of people have the backward problem, there's a story they want to tell, but don't have the patience or talent to do something unique with RPG Maker, let alone any engine that actually requires scripting knowledge.

Also, welcome back, Craze!
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=151541
I'd be willing to say that if someone around here really enjoys creating and tweaking game mechanics, particularly for RPG's, but don't like bothering with story, characters, dialogue, etc., good help in those areas could be found around here. I think a lot of people have the backward problem, there's a story they want to tell, but don't have the patience or talent to do something unique with RPG Maker, let alone any engine that actually requires scripting knowledge.

Also, welcome back, Craze!

I think a happy medium is nice. There's a lot you can do with the DBS of rm 2000 and 2003 that doesn't require a whole lot of common events and whatnot. Plus, people can always network to find others strong in certain areas of design/creativity.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Why the fuck are you people still talking about 2k3?

I'm going back into the woods for another two months.

Because many many many people still use it, and even more people are open to play games made in it! Also nice to see you Craze.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=151547
Because many many many people still use it, and even more people are open to play games made in it! Also nice to see you Craze.

2000 and 2003 just have that nice mix of usability and presentation. I don't like the graphics in XP and VX at all. Too clean and sterile for 2D RPGs. Too blocky. Maybe I've just yet to play a game where it's used well.
Let us avoid a 2k/3 versus XP/VX debate. There's a ton of dead horses in my closet that were beaten to death over this already.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=151551
Let us avoid a 2k/3 versus XP/VX debate. There's a ton of dead horses in my closet that were beaten to death over this already.

Yeah, I forgot about V and V anyway. There was some nice mapping in that one.
post=151510
No one wants a battle simulator.

Many people like Battle Simulators.
post=151583
post=151510
No one wants a battle simulator.
Many people like Battle Simulators.

Sorry, I meant like an RPG with nothing but battles... not an actual battle simulation program. Imagine a Final Fantasy that was purely dungeons and battling with no storyline. Just like 35 dungeons and the game ended.
It just depends on the style. Diablo II could be argued that it's just a click-fest. Even though there is a story, I can guarantee that the people who have been playing it for years don't read the story anymore. They're just there for the gameplay. (Though the battle.net multiplayer makes it more fun.)

I can still go back and play single-player D2 and have a good time. Usually, good gameplay is what really holds your interest and is what will bring you back to a game.

An example is Xenosaga had a great storyline, but the gameplay wasn't good enough to warrant another playthrough just to 'play.'

So action games, dungeon crawlers, sports games, etc work well as a pure gameplay experience while most RPGs work well as story-driven games (but still do need good gameplay.) I agree overall that good gameplay is important. I love the Paper Mario series even though the stories aren't the most complicated or amazing, but the simple RPG gameplay is just a lot of fun :D
post=151545

Discussion isn't drama... Craze...
post=151641

You forgot to link. link :]

As far as commenting on the discussion that's been happening...maybe later. I haven't been following it close enough to jump in.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=151762
post=151641
post=151545

Perhaps Craze is drama?

Based on the locked thread...
To me gameplay is pretty much the basis of a game(play). I always play a game for an experience, for the story, music, graphics, etc. Everything but the gameplay. But fact is, if the gameplay sucks, no matter what about the rest, I WILL quit the game. I don't want my experience of a game to be tedious because it's unbalanced.

I remember reading about a game ealier this year, people telling the story was great, graphic, characters, etc. When I played the game, controls where horrible, the shortcut could not be changed and were the worst I've ever seen, and the fight were long and boring. First time I saw a NPC, I try to attack him for fun, to test the game, he 2 shot me with a fucking club (you're a guy in armor, shield and sword), and you don't even scratch more than 1/100 of his life. That's a fucking lame game, no matter what the story is.