GENERAL QUESTION ON "SKILLS"

Pages: 1
Okay, this one is really bugging me.

I've got a lot of magic spells in my game: Fire, Ice, Aero, Quake, Water, Bolt, Bio, etc. And I've been trying and trying to test and see how to change the damage effect of each spell as my characters level up, but nothing seems satisfying.

For example, my main character learns the fire spell eventually.

Fire has an effect rating of 185, attack influence of 0, int. influence of 4, and a variance of 2.

so, I tested the battle and he got 100 damage on an enemy with 5 intelligence and 5 defense. Seemed fair enough.

But then I raised Vincent's test level to 99, which made his intelligence skyrocket. But when I cast fire, it was 109! How can I make it so that intelligence influences how much each spell gets, how well the monster defends against magic in general, and how do I make each spell's effect increase slightly on every level up?

Yes, this was a long one, but I think this can help newbies like me in the long run.
http://whoopanetwork.com/musings/magicnumbers.php

This is a pretty good site with an explanation of RM2k/3 battle algorithms.

Here are the main algs:

Chance to Hit
If attacker is unequipped:
(Chance to hit) = 90 + ((Attacker's agility) / (Defender's agility) / 2)

If attacker has a weapon:
(Chance to hit) = (Attacker's weapon hit%) + ((Attacker's agility) / (Defender's agility) / 2) 

Physical Attack Damage
(Damage) = ((Attacker's offense) / 2) - ((Defender's defense) / 4)

Skill Damage
If ignoring defender's defense:
(Base damage) = ((Attacker's strength) x (Hit Inf) / 20) + ((Attacker's mental) x (Mind Inf) / 40) + (Base effect)

If not...:
(Adjusted damage) = (Base damage) - (((Defender's defense) x (Hit Inf) / 40) + ((Defender's mental) x (Mind Inf) / 80))

Plug these into an excel spreadsheet and play around with some numbers.

Also, read this excellent article by Brickroad: Skill set theory http://rpgmaker.net/articles/4/
Yeah, you need to set "influence" much higher.
The way rm2k3 handles the intelligence stat is retarded normally.

Best solution: do not rely on effect rating, set the influence to 10, and set the base element effectiveness to 200% (or more) instead of being at 100%. This will make the int stat much more valuable because it's effectiveness is doubled.

I can get more detailed if you need a better explanation.
I would like one, actually, Karsuman!
yes, that is what he means. I'd like to learn more about why this increases the INT's effectiveness, though.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
author=Karsuman link=topic=673.msg8898#msg8898 date=1202779265
The way rm2k3 handles the intelligence stat is retarded normally.

Best solution: do not rely on effect rating, set the influence to 10, and set the base element effectiveness to 200% (or more) instead of being at 100%. This will make the int stat much more valuable because it's effectiveness is doubled.

I can get more detailed if you need a better explanation.
Ah, thanks, I've got to do that for mine. Because right now you can get the Focus skills and stuff to double your mind in battle... yeah, useless. I knew about this, but I always keep forgetting, so I'll go around fixing it when I go home.
I've found something!

Alright, I was experimenting with my spells, with the intelligence influence, and the attributes and such...

Okay, I set the "Fire" attribute to
A: 600%
B: 300%
C: 150%
D: 0%
E: -285%

I then went to my skill menu and created three spells:

Fire

Int. Influence: 10
Base effect: 50
Variance: 2

Fire 2/Fira

Base effect: 325
Variance: 3

Fire 3/Firaga

Base effect: 1020
Variance: 4

I then tested my hero at level 30 with all three spells.
Fire got 0 on a monster with 999 intelligence and 10 defense.
Fire got 127 on a monster with 10 intelligence and 999 defense.
Fire 2 got 318 on the 999 int. monster and 400 some on the 10 int. monster.
I'll skip the Fire 3 part for the fact that this reply is too long already.

I then raised Vincent's level to 99, making his int. skyrocket.
Fire got 93 on the 999 int. monster and 257 on the monster with 10 int.

Yes, I will probably modify the Fire 2 & 3 base effect to make their differences greater, but I think my problem is solved now...

But if any of you find something odd with my testing/method, tell me so that I don't screw up and disappoint myself.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Yeah, Karsuman taught me this as well. I guess LoD used it or something.

It's pretty cool, but I prefer scripting myself.
Basically, it multiplies the effectiveness of the INT stat because the INT stat is intrinsically linked to the elemental modifier. 150% damage, as in the example mantlecore shows above, will do more damage regardless of the base effect because it is still enhancing the INT stat to 150% effectiveness.

I don't like using base effect and often base skills on basic stat effectiveness, so this was really useful for me. Base effect typically makes things kinda static.

Having said all that, RMVX solves all these problems so it's not really relevant to me anymore.

And yes, LoD is the only game I know of that did this. It's simply a better way of handling it.
Pages: 1