WELL-DEFINED DBS OR PRIMITIVE CBS?

Pages: first 123 next last
What is the community's attitude towards 2k3 DBS games? Do you cringe going into that familiar battle system?

If you had to choose between a very well-defined DBS, with balanced items/monsters/everything, or a fairly primitive CBS that just barely gets the job done and lacks a lot of depth, which would you choose? The DBS would offer more longevity and reliability while a shoddy CBS could be imbalanced and technically lacking.
I say that if you can live within its framework, go with the DBS. Even the simplest CBS takes a lot of time to complete, and that its into time you could be spending crafting interesting battles (as you have alluded to).

I have no problem playing games with the RM2k3 DBS, on a fundamental level.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Well-defined DBS, hands down. Primitive CBSes make for great minigames and whatnot, though.
Primitive is not the same as unbalanced. You can make a primitive simplified CBS that is balanced and fun enough. I'd go with that.
Well defined DBS by far.
post=151790
What is the community's attitude towards 2k3 DBS games? Do you cringe going into that familiar battle system?

If you had to choose between a very well-defined DBS, with balanced items/monsters/everything, or a fairly primitive CBS that just barely gets the job done and lacks a lot of depth, which would you choose? The DBS would offer more longevity and reliability while a shoddy CBS could be imbalanced and technically lacking.

What, you're taking to the N#1 fan of M.A.G.E., here. That's the most primitive (but bloody interesting) CBS i've seen, in ALL RPG MAKER EXITSTANCE!!!! MUAHAHA Seriously. I think Primitive CBSes are much nicer, even because the DBS is flawed. BUT there are exceptions. I absolutely HATE sll DBSs except for RMXP's. Anyways, exceptions: Paradise Blue had a GREAT usage of the DBS. Um... That's the only good dbs game I can remember right now, except for the other old school ones, such as Hero's Realm, right now. Overall, I'm a real fan of simple, primitive CBSes. But it's because simplicity is my motto, anyways.
Could someone explain CBS and DBS to me? I understand the BS part (Battle System), but the C and D are confusing me.
Custom battle system stands for the battle systems that were made out of the Deafult battle system. XD So, that's what those stand for.
DO NOT make a CBS that does the same things the DBS does. That is incredibly stupid and a waste of time. Only make a CBS if you are trying to break the rules of the DBS.
Sorry, my stupid language problems caught me saying stupid things again. By out of, I didn't mean based off, I meant actually just.... 'not being the deafult', or something like that. Oh my, I look at myself and It's like I came out of the Flintstones series. >.<'

*editted.*
post=151825
Soyyu, my stupid language problems caught me saying stupid things again. By out of, I didn't mean based off, I meant actually just.... 'not being the deafult', or something like that. Oh my, I look at myself and It's like I came out of the Flintstones series. >.<'

My post wasn't in response to yours, but yeah, you were wrong.
CBS = custom battle system
DBS = default battle system.

A DBS is the built in battle system. A CBS is creating your own out of events.
If someone makes a primitive (bad) CBS, they don't have the ability to make a well defined (good) DBS.
post=151871
If someone makes a primitive (bad) CBS, they don't have the ability to make a well defined (good) DBS.

I wouldn't say that... You could potentially be a very good programmer but a shoddy game designer. With RM, it's more technical prowess than creativity required to make a CBS.

As for the original question, I'd take the CBS. I'm not a fan of the RM2K3/XP DBS, and I've played enough of the RM2K-style of things where it just ceases to be interesting.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
rpgmaker battles are filler. it doesn't even matter.

post=151823
DO NOT make a CBS that does the same things the DBS does. That is incredibly stupid and a waste of time. Only make a CBS if you are trying to break the rules of the DBS.

i remember, lotps and it was just, a buggy rpgmaker side view battle system but people loved it because it was custom. lol.
post=151823

I completely agree here. Though I must say, I prefer a CBS. I pretty much despise the DBS. I'll deal with it if a game is worthwhile, but literally every moment of battling is boring. Tweaks and changes can make the experience less boring, but it's still boring.

This isn't always true, but I just feel like breaking free of the standard system is a fun feeling. Also, like mentioned above, M.A.G.E. is super awesome :3 Oh, and I absolutely loved the Frozen World's battle system.

The other end of the spectrum is the bad CBS's. I've turned off more than one game the moment I got into a battle and realized how awful it was or that it was a sluggish version of the regular battle system.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Use the default battle system unless you are supremely confident that you know what you are doing.
post=151893
Use the default battle system unless you are supremely confident that you know what you are doing.

But what would YOU prefer if you had the choice?

Edit: Something I wanted to mention: The biggest reason I prefer a custom battle system is that I, personally, use RPG maker as a tool to build my own game--I don't use it to make an RPG maker game. (I know, I should just learn C++ or something... but anyway) My biggest excitement in making a game is designing the gameplay. If I use the DBS, there are tons of limits imposed by it. Yeah you can tweak it quite a bit, but you can't fundamentally change the mechanics.
Personal preference?

Default system tweaked out until it's halfway to 'custom' anyway. Takes the best of both worlds that way. And someday, I shall arrive there myself.
Pages: first 123 next last