PLAYERS X EXPERTS - OUR ATTITUDE ON PLAYING GAMES

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hmm, something that popped up in the discussions under that article made me think.

Are there a lot of people who don't update or change their game any more after it's "finished"? I "finished" my game almost five years ago but I continue to make changes to it almost every month. Some of these changes are small and others are complete overhauls - two in particular were big enough that the game almost became a new game. I cannot imagine any situation where I would ever become aware of a problem in the game but not update the game to fix it. Even if it were ten years from now, I'm sure I would attempt to fix any problem that was pointed out to me, whether that is a bug or a design issue. This is part of why I want the negative feedback - because it lets me make the game better for future players.

How common is this? Do other people sort of set their games down and say, "This is finished, I'm no longer going to pay attention to the feedback on this game to attempt to improve it," and never update the project again? In a commercial game, that's obviously the norm, since you have to decide it's ready to ship at some point. But even most commercial games these days continue to put out patches and DLC for months or years after their release.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=154483
Hmm, something that popped up in the discussions under that article made me think.

Are there a lot of people who don't update or change their game any more after it's "finished"? I "finished" my game almost five years ago but I continue to make changes to it almost every month. Some of these changes are small and others are complete overhauls - two in particular were big enough that the game almost became a new game. I cannot imagine any situation where I would ever become aware of a problem in the game but not update the game to fix it. Even if it were ten years from now, I'm sure I would attempt to fix any problem that was pointed out to me, whether that is a bug or a design issue. This is part of why I want the negative feedback - because it lets me make the game better for future players.

How common is this? Do other people sort of set their games down and say, "This is finished, I'm no longer going to pay attention to the feedback on this game to attempt to improve it," and never update the project again? In a commercial game, that's obviously the norm, since you have to decide it's ready to ship at some point. But even most commercial games these days continue to put out patches and DLC for months or years after their release.

I'm making my second "update" to Carlsev 1, and I'm pretty sure this will be the last time I touch it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Why? If more problems pop up, wouldn't you want to fix them so the game is better for future players?
I suggest that in the future reviews take the form of elaborate poetic allegory, where potential players would contemplate the lines in question and develop their own interpretation to decide whether the game in question is worth playing. Alternatively the site could implement an automatic random drawing of the I Ching that we may draw upon the ancient and inscrutable wisdom of the cosmos for guidance. I'm not even joking I want to see this happen

EDIT: hell yeaahhh
LockeZ
Like the moon amidst
Daytime, this game's majesty
Is lost in bad maps
post=154483
Are there a lot of people who don't update or change their game any more after it's "finished"?

This would make another topic, but...
I try not to change anything, but bugs. Even bugs, I wait until I have a lot of them, so I change all at once. I don't like making small changes at a finished game periodically. First, because if you do so, it's not a finished game. For example, if I think about playing Carlsev Saga 1, I might wonder "should I wait another month or two for an updated edition? Maybe I shouldn't play it right now". I don't like playing unfinished games. And second, because I could take the effort to work on another project.

post=154485
I'm making my second "update" to Carlsev 1, and I'm pretty sure this will be the last time I touch it.

That's good to know!

post=154489
hell yeaahhh

I'll never need reviews again to know if a game is worth playing. O.o
LockeZ
I posted it in this topic because it's intricately linked to the process by which we view games as we play them and by which we provide feedback or comments for those games. If I know my feedback is likely to actually be taken into account by the developer and possibly result in a future update which addresses it, I will provide lots of feedback with lots of detail. If the game seems to be "abandoned" then I will not bother. I also might not even bother playing it, since as a game designer, I instinctively enjoy trying to make games better - even other people's.
post=154196
Welp...

I disagree with pretty much everything you said.

And I hope your attitude towards people is not anything like that.

Up yours too, good sir.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
hell yeaahhh

I love you forever even more.
This is kinda off topic but I've seen some really suspicious reviews on this site. For example lost legacy recieved two 4.5 reviews from two seperate people with no history of ever posting on this site before and the written content absolutly stinks of advertisement throughout. My point is I think it's wrong for devolpers to recruit friends to give great reviews for their game. The most saddest scenario is going under a alias and then reviewing the damm thing if your that desperate.
I'm proberly wrong about Lost legacy but I can't help but wonder :(
You are not wrong, if you check the lost legacy larp forums (somewhere in MayorAnime's profile/blog) you'll notice the same usernames in it. They probably LARP with him irl... lol. Yeah it stinks but technically they're allowed I guess. It is not too far from an oldschool rpg lunatic to give 5 stars to an average oldschool rpg.
LockeZ
That's worth its own topic. You should start one.
I was considering doing a topic on the problem. But it's not as widespread through this community because everyone comes across as honest on here, plus there wouldnt be anything we could actually do about it expect for accusing people of forging reviews which would be unfair on devolpers who are actually innocent.
But I don't know.. the only consquence would be more downloads from gullible players and the devloper having a false sense of pride.. =/
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
post=155114
This is kinda off topic but I've seen some really suspicious reviews on this site. For example lost legacy recieved two 4.5 reviews from two seperate people with no history of ever posting on this site before and the written content absolutly stinks of advertisement throughout. My point is I think it's wrong for devolpers to recruit friends to give great reviews for their game. The most saddest scenario is going under a alias and then reviewing the damm thing if your that desperate.
I'm proberly wrong about Lost legacy but I can't help but wonder :(

I remember when I accused the people who gave the first Eden Legacy 4-4.5 star ratings of the same thing.
...because everyone comes across as honest on here.

HahahahahaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAA-!!
post=155315
...because everyone comes across as honest on here.
HahahahahaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAA-!!

Yeah I was being a little ironic there ;o
I think apart from some of the good points this topic has brought out. It solely depends on the reviewer and the game being reviewed. I mean if I didn't like RPGs and I reviewed an RPG Maker game it's obvious I would see it in a more negative light than positive.

It would help and spare the developer's feelings if critics could at least keep this fact in mind and try to balance the good and the bad, that way it gives the developer some incentive to keep making games. Reviews are supposed to bring out the good and the bad, while some reviews are harsh they lack one thing, telling the developer what was good about their game and what they actually did right. However a review that just says good things doesn't help either.

Closing point: A review, just like everything else needs to have a balance.