PLAYERS X EXPERTS - OUR ATTITUDE ON PLAYING GAMES

Pages: first prev 123456 last
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
post=155452
I think apart from some of the good points this topic has brought out. It solely depends on the reviewer and the game being reviewed. I mean if I didn't like RPGs and I reviewed an RPG Maker game it's obvious I would see it in a more negative light than positive.

It would help and spare the developer's feelings if critics could at least keep this fact in mind and try to balance the good and the bad, that way it gives the developer some incentive to keep making games. Reviews are supposed to bring out the good and the bad, while some reviews are harsh they lack one thing, telling the developer what was good about their game and what they actually did right. However a review that just says good things doesn't help either.

Closing point: A review, just like everything else needs to have a balance.

What if there is absolutely nothing good about a certain game?
post=155455

Then you shouldn't have played it in the first place.

Seriously, it's not that hard to predict when you're not gonna like a game (by description, screenshots, etc.), is it?

People say I tend to be overly nice with my reviews, but that's because I only play games I expect to like.
That's a very good point and I'm on the same boat. Granted, disappointments happen, but for most the part, I am very good at choosing games that I know I'm going to enjoy.

I also don't judge games by comparing them to others, but rather how well they executed what they intended to do.
Yeah, I mean some games that developers make are "aimed" at specific people, you probably wouldn't like them because they weren't aimed for your interests. Best example I can think of from the top of my head is Mister Big T's games that all mostly contain blood, naked anime girls and other really funky stuff you wouldn't find in your usual RPG Maker game.

There likely will be SOMEONE in the world who will think his games are cool because they are just weird themselves but for the most part, people usually don't like them.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
post=155467
post=155455
Then you shouldn't have played it in the first place.

Seriously, it's not that hard to predict when you're not gonna like a game (by description, screenshots, etc.), is it?

People say I tend to be overly nice with my reviews, but that's because I only play games I expect to like.

The sad thing is that there are those in our world that still try their damnedest not to "judge a book by its cover", and that give new things a shot, though this sets them up for disappointment in most cases. Sure, I wouldn't buy a commercial game if it didn't tickle me, but free amateur games are in a completely different category.
There likely will be SOMEONE in the world who will think his games are cool because they are just weird themselves but for the most part, people usually don't like them.

Dooms 3, I thought, was genuinely good. It told a creepy story and kept me interested. Dooms 4 could've been sooooooooooo much better, but somewhere along the line he dropped the ball (and it was too short). I played Dooms 2 and it was just 'okay' to me.

Then again, maybe I'm fucked in the head. lol I haven't played his other stuff, though.

Well I also tried his games but I didn't particularly like them, they just aren't for me.
post=155114
This is kinda off topic but I've seen some really suspicious reviews on this site. For example lost legacy recieved two 4.5 reviews from two seperate people with no history of ever posting on this site before and the written content absolutly stinks of advertisement throughout. My point is I think it's wrong for devolpers to recruit friends to give great reviews for their game. The most saddest scenario is going under a alias and then reviewing the damm thing if your that desperate.
I'm proberly wrong about Lost legacy but I can't help but wonder :(

@starskipping
Allow me to satisfy your curiosity. I never knew the creator of the game prior to playing and finishing it. I
was just someone who really enjoyed Lost Legacy, and wanted to share my opinion of it when it was posted here. Why does it "stink of advertisement"? because that's how I wrote it. That was my opinion of a game I enjoyed playing that I thought other like minded players would as well. Everyone has the right to their opinions whether agreed with or not. Why is that so difficult to comprehend for any game really? That other people might like a game that the vocal minority here consider a pile of crap or vise versa? And why would it be assumed that any review of a game be from a creator alias or his friends because it goes against the normal opinion here? Simply because you disagree?

I do see now that apparently the focus of a review here is more to give the developer feedback on what you like and what you did not like more then telling a player if it's worth their time. Perhaps I will edit my review based on those parameters in the future (but my score will probably not change so cringe all you like). The reason of no review history from me here is because I really haven't liked anything completed here enough to give a good review. I wouldn't write a review on a game that I thought I would like only to find is not my cup of tea. That may now change but I still won't be venomous about what I don't like .

post=155116
You are not wrong, if you check the lost legacy larp forums (somewhere in MayorAnime's profile/blog) you'll notice the same usernames in it. They probably LARP with him irl... lol. Yeah it stinks but technically they're allowed I guess. It is not too far from an oldschool rpg lunatic to give 5 stars to an average oldschool rpg.

@Darken
Yes, I am the same person on those other forums. Sorry you feel that shouldn't to entitle me to a write a review. No I am not a member of his LARP. (I didn't even know what that was prior to asking him what Animania was) but it seems interesting. "oldschool rpg lunatic"? I disagree, but I honestly don't find that insulting :P
??? Thanks for misreading almost the entire post.
@Xchain thats fair enough :)
It wasn't a case of standards and opinions. I was simply stating the fact it just looked biased for it recieving high praise from two reveiwers, who only joined rmn for that pacticular game from a fourm thats dedicated soley for Lost legacy. And the reviews came across as misleading, simply because they didnt contain a single ounce of constructive criticism for improvement (too much wow this game is the best thing ever!) which raised a few eyebrows. Because of that I used Lost legacy as a (suggestive) example of a much bigger problem that happens from time to time and was not a accusation towards your best friend :P
Yeah you really can't blame us for being suspicious. Honestly I don't really care if people liked this anime trash of a game. But if there was proof of very one sided bias (Like say, the members of the forum bit and the fact that this game is based on some role playing group) then ok, I'm probably going to jump to conclusions.

edit:

The sad thing is that there are those in our world that still try their damnedest not to "judge a book by its cover", and that give new things a shot, though this sets them up for disappointment in most cases. Sure, I wouldn't buy a commercial game if it didn't tickle me, but free amateur games are in a completely different category.

There is also: "well i dont like the look of the game's presentation, but this guy gave a 5 star review, better check it out. Oh, I played and didn't like the game. I don't like the idea of this game having a good avg score, maybe my opinion should be contributed." Some people don't like this logic, but that is sometimes the case with me.
@Darken

I don't believe I misread anything other than perhaps your last statement there. Was probably more a general statement than directed toward anyone :P

@Starskipping

Very well :)

I was coming to this site anonymously for games long before I joined that forum, but that's a minor detail. The example you used included my review and I don't like being accused of writing something misleading because I must have been "asked" too. Again I wrote my review more geared toward it being worth a player with similar interest's time rather than developer feedback. While I don't agree that just because a review doesn't contain any negative, it must be misleading, I agree that a better review should contain both. And I honestly hope you meant that last part of your last sentence as a general statement :P

Regardless, back to being on topic here.

Edit:
There is also: "well i dont like the look of the game's presentation, but this guy gave a 5 star review, better check it out. Oh, I played and didn't like the game. I don't like the idea of this game having a good avg score, maybe my opinion should be contributed." Some people don't like this logic, but that is sometimes the case with me.

@Darken
I don't know, to me if I don't like a games presentation or it doesn't look interesting, no amount of 5 star reviews are going to change my opinion and make me want to play. To me, reviews help only if I'm already interested.
Yeah i was being cheeky at that last part. I apolgise if it seemed that I was undermining you, but you have to understand that it could look different to other people without any of this knowledge. As a player I do hope you find other games that you like on rmn and hopfully see some more reviews or if not then maybe a few comments about things you enjoy. It's all good either way xD
Pages: first prev 123456 last