IS IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE A TURN-BASED BATTLE SYSTEM IN RM2K3?

Pages: 1
I was wondering if it was possible to make a turn-based battle system in RPG Maker 2003? By turn-based, I mean with the default ATB bar system replaced by one in which turns rotate systematically. If so, does anyone have any tips for doing this or a link to a tutorial explaining it?
Definitely possible, and really easy to do, but not by default, you'll have to make a CBS and if you have to ask than you probably don't know how, in which case, it's going to be hard for you. Read tutorials on switches and variables and maybe you can make your own battle system.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Please disregard GameOverGames post, aside from the awful frame rate it is no secret that RMXP is far superior.. Well, unless you like ugly block graphics, an asinine program resolution, and limited graphical options in comparison to its predecessor.

You are not really going to get an easy answer though, in Rm2k3 it is possible but not easy and not nearly as practical as other solutions.
awful frame rate.... WHICH CAN BE FIXED :D
Magi
Resident Terrapin
If that is the case I just hope it is not like other "A-List" fixes such as the 2k3 ATB patch
post=155136
awful frame rate.... WHICH CAN BE FIXED :D
If that is the case I just hope it is not like other "A-List" fixes such as the 2k3 ATB patch

It was literally something like frame_rate = 60; with the default value of the variable at 30. Just check your scripting help file. I would add the line right next to the lines that set the font.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There's basically only one good reason to use RM2K3, and that's if you want to use RM2K3's battle system without having to script it yourself in XP.

If you're not going to use RM2K3's battle system... why are you using RM2K3, exactly? It has no other features.
the ATB system is much better, so i recomend you leave it as it is.
Graphics.frame_rate = 60 will change the frame rate (and help out with the screen tearing). Everything'll run faster, except any audio, since the game timing is based on frames. This will increase the processing power XP needs. It also won't fix the awful renderer XP has which is a half step forward and a step back from 2k.. (the default frame rate is 40)

You can also resize the screen in VX to whatever that wasn't bigger than 640x480. Except everything that determines the placement and size of anything is hard coded as opposed to using the neat Graphics.width/height methods available so you'll have to fix your game for all that.
(or you could resize it via calls to the Windows API.)
post=155161
Why not just use RM2K instead of RM2K3..?

I mean, seriously...

Because RM2K3 has a bit more options than RM2K. I love RM2K's battle system, but there is a few options in RM2K3 that isn't in 2K, such as more in-battle capabilities for events.

post=155231
There's basically only one good reason to use RM2K3, and that's if you want to use RM2K3's battle system without having to script it yourself in XP.

If you're not going to use RM2K3's battle system... why are you using RM2K3, exactly? It has no other features.
Also the other reason for using RM2K3 is because of the vast amount of resources, especially for those who don't have the skills or time to make the high quality chipsets and other graphics that have been happily (lol) provided by other snes-old rpgs. XP and VX have yet to have such an inventory mainly because it's no easy task to create higher resolution graphics like you could back then. As they say: the lower the resolution the less work you have to put into it, and it can still look good. I tried converting lower resolution graphics over to the newer engines, but it's so crappy, I might as well use Game Maker instead. But we're all mostly modders, so I doubt we want to put in the time for rewriting an engine.

The only two reasons I would use XP is for: higher resolution and higher customization. But because higher resolution isn't on the list for a lot of indies, then I'm going to stick to RM2K3. That or Game Maker, depending on if I want to use one for experience in game development or actually work on a more serious project.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=155236
You can also resize the screen in VX to whatever that wasn't bigger than 640x480. Except everything that determines the placement and size of anything is hard coded as opposed to using the neat Graphics.width/height methods available so you'll have to fix your game for all that.
(or you could resize it via calls to the Windows API.)

If you use Yanfly Engine Melody (which overwrites the battle and menu system, or only parts of it if you choose), it uses the Graphics.width/height methods for this purpose.

As for ATB...
http://wiki.pockethouse.com/index.php?title=Active_Turn_Battle_System

It's super-smooth and is roughly 500% better than 2k3.
Yes! There are no less than 5 ways to do it.

One of these is super-simple, just

http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-1900/tbbpatch_demo.rar

Another 2 or 3 involve DynRpg patches (I assume you're talking about the non-steam rpg2003). I think ATB Overhaul, Turn Based & Local Patches, and DynTurnPatch I think it was called.

Lastly, I coded not one but TWO turn based systems. Aside from the very first option, these don't tend to freeze as badly because they are coded by hand, and internal to the way stuff runs. And because they are made using rpgmaker code, if you do have freeze, you can simply make a common event on the same Turn 1x as hero actions, and just skip turns if status effects are active (basically, If Paralyzed, Common Event: YourTurn)

Version 1
You will need:
-On the Behaviors section of Monsters, add to the very top: No Action, Precondition switch ON (I called mine TurnWait). Set Priority to 100 so nothing goes before this.
- Turn 0: Add a common event and a variable. The variable should have the Monster Number (1 to about 8, I think). The common event should have a variable that counts party size.
- Two other common events. One to track your turns, one to track enemy turns. On version one of this, I used a single variable called Turns. I counted up towards the monster number. Then I did a countdown, seeing it as a sort of seesaw effect.
- Turn 1x: EnemyTurn (version 1)
- Turn 1x: If Player uses (whatever command) - YourTurn (Repeat for each event)

This version is crappy, and malfunctions routinely. I could get it to work (and it's on TurnBased Template) but I won't recommend it, or even bother to explain it better.

Version 2
-On the Behaviors section of Monsters, add to the very top: No Action, Precondition switch ON (I called mine TurnWait). Set Priority to 100 so nothing goes before this. As before.
- Turn 0: Add a common event and a variable. The variable should have the Monster Number (1 to about 8, I think).
- The common event as before. However, more specifically, the first screen looks like this.
https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/3388/locker/TurnMain.bmp
-Two other common events. This uses two rather than one variable (CharacterTurns and Enemy turns), and both count up, resetting at the beginning of the turns. To keep this from STAYING at zero, you have to make a switch that if off sets the number to 0, shuts off the other switch then shuts on itself. To clarify this, here's the code I used.
https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/3388/locker/YourTurn.bmp
Variable 006 is Party Size. You make the turn variable greater/equal to the party number in either case, then switch on or off. Also, that Wait condition is not essential, it does however make it so that you aren't attacking during your turn. Make sure there is 1% recovery (otherwise gameover) and that you also shut it off when the enemy turn ends. Pretty much the same process for EnemyTurn only turn TurnWait ON and use the other variable.

- On Monster party add Turn 1x:
<>If TurnWait ON
<> Else
<> CommonEvent: Enemy Turn
<> End Event Processing

- On Monster Party add Turn 1x:
<>If Player uses (whatever command) -
<> Common Event: YourTurn
<> End EventProcessing

<>If Player uses (whatever command) -
<> Common Event: YourTurn
<> End EventProcessing

Repeat for each command. You can also add stuff like a variable to track who attacked, and possibly give them a nasty effect if the boss has them cursed or something.

So basically 3 Monster Pages, about 3 or 4 switches, and 4 or so variables, and you basically can control the battle flow.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Ooooh, cool! It kinda makes me wanna do a Turn-Based system in 2k3.

Though you're kinda 7 years too late...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
holy shit bulmabriefs
Pages: 1