WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE IN FINAL FANTASY XV?

11 and 14 were PC...

...and ps2 and xbox360...
They were also the only online ones, so of course they were PC. He means one of the "real" games, if you wanna say that.
7 was pc...if I'm remembering correctly.
post=155783
7 was pc...if I'm remembering correctly.

7 and 8 were ported to pc too, yeah.
post=155709
Yet another potentially optimistic topic turned into a "let's bitch about what we hate" thread.

I've seen you bitch about non-optimism more than I can count.
post=155752
They were also the only online ones, so of course they were PC. He means one of the "real" games, if you wanna say that.

oh. i 4got ff7 and 8 were pc :P
post=155787
post=155709
Yet another potentially optimistic topic turned into a "let's bitch about what we hate" thread.

HOW DARE YOU NOT BE HAPPY

YOU SON OF A BITCH
post=155709

The last few Final Fantasy games really sucked, so don't be surprised if people bitch.
As long as it isn't an mmo it will be a massive step up. they could even take out the save system and every time you go to a different screen the controls could be randomized (never shown up is down, circle now x,etc..) I would STILL like it better.

Stupid mmo's draining from an already drained genre.
post=155802
every time you go to a different screen the controls could be randomized (never shown up is down, circle now x,etc..) e.

I personally have been waiting for a game like this for a very long time!
post=155787
post=155709

Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
'sorry we had to cut out towns npcs shops and everything else you'd expect from an rpg in order to have the maximum graphics technology possible'

- square enix president yoichi wada

"...we did treat each and every Final Fantasy as a birth of something, as a great product that we believed in. All we really wanted to do was to be able to express a very simple belief of friendship or family love or just love in general and if that becomes something that is going to be bought by money and can easily be a base for making a successful business, I just want that to be sold in that manner. Like, this was going to be a boxed package that was going to make money. That's not -- as one of the creators of the games that we worked on -- that wasn't necessarily our purpose. So that's the line that we always have between the business side and the creative side of the business. But all I hope for is that with the people who are still at SquareEnix, I hope that they still have that belief in them, and I wish that they would continue to execute their jobs and projects in the way that we were able to do back then. The work is priceless. And I hope that everyone continues to hold that belief."

- Nobuo Uematsu
you know what made the original FF's fun?
being able to travel between towns, using airships willingly, riding a chocobo to wherever you wanted, not limited space.

they need to ditch the futuristic era and head back into the era of FF2-6, where everything wasnt as high tech or advanced as 13, where they had kingdoms, and small villages with some villain using some forbidden means to do something like destroy the world.

FF13 took that out and made it a direct game, with no sidequests until the game was almost over, and a god-like diety controlling everything (and really, it wasnt even that bad. making a few people do a small task in exchange for eternal life? how bad is that really?)

FF15 needs to take a step back to the past, not a step further into the future.
Yes, my sentiments exactly. Theres no point in even saying it's an RPG when you take out everything that makes an RPG what it is. It's just sad, like, I don't want to be pulled along by the game, I want to, I don't know, PLAY IT?

That "malicious god" thing needs to be cut too, because it's bullcrap. It lets the story as stupidly pretentious as it wants to be, and the villians can be untouchable and powerful just because they're gods. Why can't the villains be people like you?

Oh wait, then they can't have any extreme crying and emo angst, wrist cutting protagonists that have a bad "Fate" to deal with, rather than an actual situational conflict.
post=156611
That "malicious god" thing needs to be cut too, because it's bullcrap. It lets the story as stupidly pretentious as it wants to be, and the villians can be untouchable and powerful just because they're gods. Why can't the villains be people like you?

Oh wait, then they can't have any extreme crying and emo angst, wrist cutting protagonists that have a bad "Fate" to deal with, rather than an actual situational conflict.

Very interesting point (and a nod to those who brought it up originally).

Nowadays, the evil god mechanic IS overused to add artificial "depth" and psychology to games. It can't be just straight evil, it has to make everyone question everything from themselves to all of existence, and they twist it up with so many layers and build entire stories around it. Ok I'm talking about FFXIII here, there were obvious creative conflicts in FFXII so that's all over the place, I don't even know if XI has a story, and X is pretty much the story framework from which FFXIII was copied and modified.

Back in the day, the big bad evil gods were just that; big bad evil gods. You don't necessarily know they exist until some big bad dude you fight cries, "Master, I failed youuuu~!" They're still powerful; they made your enemies super-powerful, a lot of which were regular people or creatures that were corrupted, etc. But they weren't the same as they are today. What's the difference?

My guess; back in the day, these evil gods were put in the game to add scale to the adventure. They could start you off as a nobody that can get by pounding a few slimes, and by the end of the game you were ready to topple gods. And it worked. It didn't need to be an incredibly central part of the story; you knew they were there, or were going after some agent of theirs if you didn't, and the story was a real adventure. Because there is less story emphasis on the evil baddies, the story is less "point A to point B." A lot more attention could be put towards developing the characters (REALLY developing the characters, not just finding out more about them). For example, in FFIV, the story really kicks off when Cecil can no longer contain his guilt to the point of blindly following orders, and half the game drives his adventure before even pursuing this evil.

In recent games, they start with the main source of the conflict, the evil gods, and expand on it to the point that it encompasses the entire plot in some form or another. How FFXIII is so long, is beyond my comprehension, because the entire plot can be summarized in two sentences, three max. Either way, even the development of the characters is based around the evil gods since, in their malice, they conveniently twist perceptions of reality and morality. So, the game is a big knot which is merely meant to be unraveled with a kink every now and again.

tl;dr - In the early days, the big bad gods added scale to a great story of characters, serving the purpose of the player by trumping up their accomplishments. In recent days, the big bad gods serve as the basis of game's plot, conflict and progression, stealing that away from the game's own characters whose development is now shoehorned within those boundaries.

I dunno. Thoughts?

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Making a few people do a small task in exchange for eternal life?

The game says that the being encased in crystal is a form of eternal life, but I don't totally buy that. I was under the impression that those crystals could be cracked with a mighty blow. I don't really have much evidence to back up my idea outside of that one scene where Snowe was trying to free Sarah's crystal from... whatever it was lodged into. He was being pretty careful not to touch Sarah during that scene, don't you think?

What I never got about FF13 is that the characters decide to go against Fate by essentially following what was deemed to be their Fate. What the huh? Error of type: insufficient consistency. Abort? Retry? Fail!
What I never got about FF13 is that the characters decide to go against Fate by essentially following what was deemed to be their Fate. What the huh? Error of type: insufficient consistency. Abort? Retry? Fail!

To be fair they were fucked either way.
So, from the sounds of it, SE is going about making their games backasswards, by conceiving some epic plot and then squeezing a game into it, rather than making a game and then building a story around it.

Is that right?