JRPG OR 3D RPG?

Pages: first 12 next last
if you had to pick, would you pick classic 2D top-veiw JRPG's like the early FINAL FANTASY series and CHRONO TRIGGER, or the new-fangled 3D RPG's like THE LEGEND OF ZELDA and THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION?
dibate!
I don't have a real preference, but I do prefer crappy 2D over crappy 3D.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
As far as I know, there are such things as 3D jRPGs to name a few.
Doesn't make no sense and Zelda games are not RPGs.
post=155317

Neither are Final Fantasy.

I guess all games are 3d nowadays and though I was a sceptic back when 3d was pure shit. (Playstation 1 era) 3d is just so gorgeous these days with free-roaming cameras and insane close up details and stuff that there's really no going back.

That's not to say I say no to the old classic 2d with more text for description since there's something to be said about abstraction. But for looking at. It's awesome expensive 3d every day of the week.
post=155400
post=155317

what.
post=155402
post=155400
post=155317
what.

Yeah I should probably have written "neither are the Final Fantasies" as it stands now there's an "are" and it's singular, but I'm from Finland so my bad English can be excused! (right?)
If Final Fantasies are not rpg's what are they? Pray tell.
Since this is a bad topic anyway I guess I can do a short version of this opinion of mine (it is an opinion). The Final Fantasies are adventure games. Completely linear story games with the occasional gameplay thrown in. There's no RP in Final Fantasy.

Now this is my opinion as an RPG purist. Most games that are called RPGs don't fall under what I'd call an RPG and I'm mostly quiet about it except in topics that are specifically about it or bad topics like this as joke. (Basically Zelda is as much RPG as Final Fantasy, so if some jRPG purist says dumb stuff like Zelda's not an RPG but my beloved Final Fantasy is I can always swoop in on my high horse and say "no you're dumb, neither is an rpg")
post=155213
I don't have a real preference, but I do prefer crappy 2D over crappy 3D.

Also, now that Shinan said neither are RPGs, I'm really confused as to what IS an RPG. I'm starting to doubt that the games made here are RPGs and that RPG Maker is actually Adventure Game Maker.
I define RPG like most people do: a game with a leveling up system. But this is a flawed look at it. Example: Scott Pilgrim has a leveling system where at each new level you get a new fighting move. Does that make it an RPG? NO! The gameplay makes it a beat-em-up.
Another example is Dead Rising. Get enough PP points and you get a new move or increased health/inventory slot. Not an RPG at all. It's a horror action adventure (though the horror is a bit limited.)

Role-Playing Game seems to be the most confused term in the gaming industry.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Any game where you play the role of one or more characters within a story is an RPG. To what degree you "play the role" is irrelevant.

"Playing the role" includes and is not limited to: Direct actions like where to move and/or how to fight enemies, choosing dialogue, choosing branching story paths, interacting with NPCs, etc. in any combination.

From the broad term of "RPG", the game can be further narrowed down by the gameplay: Traditional RPGs (DnD?), jRPGs (Final Fantasy, most RM* games), Western RPGs (Morrowind, GTA, Hitman), Tactical RPGs (Fire Emblem, Super Robot Wars), Strategy RPGs, Visual Novels (Fate/Stay Night, Tears to Tiara, 11eyes), etc.

Give me examples for strategy RPGs. ;_;
post=155462

Valkyrie Profile 2? Grandia 1, 2, 3? Maybe Legend of Legaia too?
post=155464
post=155462
Valkyrie Profile 2? Grandia 1, 2, 3? Maybe Legend of Legaia too?

Wait, what? No.

Strategy RPG, as far as the nomenclature is concerned, is usually referenced interchangeably with tactics RPG, even though the differences between a strategy game and a tactics RPG are great. A 'strategy RPG' would be things like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Heroes of Might and Magic, wherein you play the role of a hero in a strategy game, but by the same token games like Command & Conquer and Starcraft also make sense within that definition, if only because their is a protagonist you take the role of - even if you do not ever see that protagonist.

Frankly, RPG-like elements are so common in strategy games that it is usually not referenced as a strategy RPG, just simply 'strategy'. It's really just a semantics argument by that point.
There are no game genres these days. And if you really want to cling to the fact that they still exist, it's getting much harder to define them. The latest Metroid, and I guess Mass Effect 2, are good examples of this. I think the settings and artistic style of a game are at the forefront of categorizing a game rather than how it plays.

*slaps dialogue tree and branching endings onto game*
Look, it's an rpg.
Battle system defines an rpg. It also defines the 'type' of rpg (action rpg, classic jrpg). This is the reason I actually considered FF12 an mmorpg, even though it lacked the massively multiplayer component that makes the name valid.
post=155470
There are no game genres these days.

This.

It's not just games becoming more ambiguous but people that want variety and the result is genre hybrids. With each gaming generation it gets more convoluted. Super Mario Bros. was simply a platformer. Final Fantasy was defined as an RPG. But you can't stick to genres forever; it starts to repeat itself because you can only make so many platformers before every other platformer feels like a clone. Same rule for any genre. The result? Developers desperately pursuing alternatives and start introducing hybrids, and a popular example is Kingdom Hearts with its Action RPG type gameplay.

Also any video game in existence can be classified as an RPG, considering the abbreviation translates to "Role-Playing Game" in which one assumes a role of a preset character in a virtual universe. We like to cling to genres for the sake of simplicity when there are so many video games released now. If you like platformers, you can search for other games classified as platformers to have a similar experience instead of hunting down random titles with your fingers crossed and relying on hearsay, hoping to find another platformer.

To answer the OP, the question "JRPG or 3D RPG?" makes absolutely no sense. But choosing between 2D and 3D graphics, I'm neutral about it. I've seen great things happen with each and there's lots to complain about as well. The type of graphic medium the game is presented in doesn't matter. The quality of it matters in attracting an audience but isn't the deciding factor whether a game is good or not. It's all in the execution, a well-told story with a strong hook, and/or addicting gameplay.
I ONLY PLAY SPORTS GAMES TO AVOID NOMENCLATURE ISSUES
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
new-fangled

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA

what
Pages: first 12 next last