IDEAS FOR BATTLE CARDS

Pages: first 12 next last
i'm making a JRPG that uses a card system. post your card ideas here. make them as wild or crazy as you want.
Are you asking us to brainstorm for you?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Bro, why would I pitch you my card game when I can just build it myself?
to BD- no i am not. i already have over 500 cards. i just want to see what other people think.
tho chaos- 1. that would be copying 2. STOP STALKING ME!!!!!
You just started a topic saying "I want a card system - give me ideas!"
It'd help if you explained how the game worked, and provided some samples of cards you've already created so we were familiar with the layout. Also saying to make them as crazy as we like means your game could become horrible to balance
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I vote for a Jack of Clubs with a nude photo of Alf on it.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
Nate you seem very lost and confused....

Sometimes if you cannot find an idea you must let it come to you. This can take a while for the best ideas to find you, but like all things in life only becomes better with time.... Except for spoiled milk, old age, aids, global warming, sex, final fantasy, fashion trends- Actually you know what forget that last part.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
OK, I'll try to help.

First off, saying "JRPG that uses a card system" is actually vague. It could mean any of these possibilities:
(By the way, someone making their own card system instead is NOT copying from you, since many games already exist that use card systems)

It could be a typical JRPG that uses a card game as a minigame, such as Final Fantasy 8 and 9. So in this way, cards are not integral to the story at all, and pretty much just match the enemies, creatures, and people you meet throughout (Or alternatively it can be based on skills or weapons or things like that). You just have to set some kind of rule system for it. How many cards does a player pick? Do you use them up a turn? Do you bet money? What are the conditions for winning?

There are some that use cards more directly through the game. Maybe the cards are sealed magic and have an actual storyline use (I guess things like Yu-Gi-Oh might be like that, I never saw it other than some abridged ones). So the cards you create must be relevant to the game and the setting of your world itself. Us making a "+3 card of Milkshakes" wouldn't be helpful for you, and even here you would have to set some sort of rules for their use. How do you activate them? Who can use them? How did they come about? Why cards instead of any other magical item?

I think it's best in any case to define the ruleset. Do you use cards in battle? How strong will they be? What effects? Do they replace magic? Are they seperate? All these questions you should have an answer to. I think it's okay to ask for some suggestions, but we'd need a solid base on what to base it on. Right now, I couldn't give any recommendation because I don't know what type of thing you're going for.

(Also 500 cards I think is way more than enough, probably too much even)
Here is a better idea: Start off by making a really simple RPG that doesn't demand too much from the program you are using in order to learn the basics. I know, it sounds crazy. The whole card system thing can be needlessly complex and you are better off making some irl card game out of thick paper cutouts or at least til you have a better understanding of RPG Maker.
BLU EYS WAITE DRGN!

Dont attempt a card system in rm2k/3. It only gives you headaches and stress.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
i'm making a JRPG that uses a card system. post your card ideas here. make them as wild or crazy as you want.

i already have over 500 cards. i just want to see what other people think.

Anybody else see an inconstancy, here? Is it just me?
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Not necessarily, if they're aiming for like 1000 cards or something CrAzY like that.

Couldn't they just play UNO or something instead?
Depends if the card system is an actual battle system or it's something like Skills and Spells are translated through battle cards or.. something.
500 of anything is too many. When is 500 of something not too many in a JRPG, especially when it's created by one person?
post=156608
500 of anything is too many. When is 500 of something not too many in a JRPG

All 649 Pokemon says hi.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Tons of games have 500 abilities, if you include monster abilities. Or 500 pieces of equipment. Or 500 monsters.

If cards are used in lieu of both abilities and equipment, then it's actually a pretty reasonable number. If it takes certain combinations of cards to use an ability or something like that, then it's actually a pretty small number.

Pokemon is a good example of when 500 of something *IS* too many. A better example would be, like, I dunno, Final Fantasy 7. It had well over 1000 (maybe over 2000) abilities, spread across 267 monsters and however-many materia, and then I guess you have to count items as abilities on top of that.

I mean, okay, I know there are a lot of people who like pokemon. But one of the major complaints about it, especially the newer games, is that there are too many pokemon. So it's, at least, definitely up for debate. Whereas I've never heard anyone say that FF7 has too many abilities.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I like how people forget that about half of all Pokemon turn into stronger versions, so a more reasonable number for fully-evolved Pokes approaches something like 200-300. :S
OK so remove the "especially" from my last post. When is 500 of something not too many in a JRPG when it's created by on person?

Also special shout-out to Rowan for quoting that whole post except the one sentence that lends it context.

Do any of the Pokemon games even have the full Pokedex in them?
Pages: first 12 next last