CRAZEWRITING

Pages: first 12 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Sometimes I write. Sometimes I write for class. I'm an Elementary Education major, but I'm concentrating in Language Arts, so I'm taking a lot of writing classes.

This is a piece where I had to write it in both first- and third-person perspective. I feel like they're way too interdependent, but whatever, I'm mostly just posting this to try to entertain you. I'm open to criticism.

Jason's So Pleasant
Jason this, Jason that. Everything's about Jason. Jason's so handsome, Jason's so pleasant, Jason's colors are so coordinated, Jason knows how to buy groceries so well. I mean, sure, I'm happy for my sister, but why wasn't anybody talking about her? Krissy's perfectly lovely.

“You're awfully deep in thought for a party-goer. What's eating you?”

“Jason,” I replied, snapping out of a dazed trance. I hadn't realized I was thinking so intently about this. “N â€" Not anything bad or -”

“I understand, don't worry. Everybody's talking about Jason. Look, there's mom chatting him up right now. You'd think she was trying to get his number.”

What a gross analogy. “You seem fine with that, Krissy.”

“Yeah, well, any man with balls enough to date our mother is a keeper.”

After few seconds of standing awkwardly, I moved away to talk to one of Jason's cousins or uncles or whoever, bringing up how my sister looked stunning in that emerald-color dress.

“Yes indeed, but Jason's snappy -”

Annoyed, I stopped really paying attention, nodding occasionally. Unfortunately, I stopped paying attention to more than just Cousin Somebody and knocked the punch all over Krissy. This proved to be a terrific mistake.

“The Hell's going on here?” bellowed a rosy-cheeked Jason from a couple yards away, snapping at my admittedly klutzy move. “You think it's funny to ruin my fiancé's dress? I spent over two hundred dollars on that!” He began to stride toward me with those legs that shopped so well.

“Jason, dear, it's not a big deal. I can change.” My sister was trying to smooth over the situation, knowing that it was purely accidental, but Jason would have none of it. The decidedly intoxicated man yelled at the two of us about money and idiocy while both families looked on in astonishment. Handsome, pleasant Jason was rolling up his well-coordinated sleeves, making me gulp.

Jason took another step toward me, screaming “I'm gonna teach you to mess with Kristina, you stupid brat!” My sister tried to stop him, but soon I landed in a puddle of sticky, red punch. Winded from the freight train of a man, I began to quicken my breath to match my racing heartbeat. Uncles and fathers and Aunt Marie were starting to run up and try to pull Jason away. I looked up at the fierce man's face, noticing how he was starting to turn from red to a shade of the angriest purple I've ever been forced to witness... but then a second fist came at my me, and -

Jason was the center of everybody's conversation. The son of a weathy violinist and painter, he was both sophisticated and well-educated. His fiancé, Kristina, was not an uninteresting or unintelligent girl, but had not been in a photo shoot on the top of the Eiffel Tower or spent a semester studying in South Africa. Kristina's family was clamoring to ask Jason about his stories, while Jason's family was more than willing to indulge anybody in Jason's history. Jason himself was spending time with his fiancé's mother, finding her enthusiasm greatly amusing... but maybe that was just his fourth glass of wine getting to him.

Kristina's younger brother was deep in thought when she started chatting with him. Her “what's eating you?” was promptly responded to with “Jason,” after Daniel had snapped out of a dazed state. He was not as enthralled with Jason as the rest of his family, and Kristina didn't really mind. She loved Jason, but she was a little sick of it as well.

“Look, there's mom chatting him up right now,” Kristina said of her betrothed. “You'd think she was trying to get his number.” A look of disgust appeared on Daniel's face, causing Kristina to laugh.

Daniel walked up to Jason's uncle and tried to start a conversation about Kristina. He found little success at subverting the overwhelming subject of Jason, being replied with a comment on Jason's outfit. It was a good-looking outfit, tailored to fit his broad shoulders specifically, but ultimately not of interest to Daniel. The conversation dulled his senses enough to cause Daniel to knock over the giant punch bowl. Red drink splashed all over Kristina and her new dress, staining it a rather disgusting color. Jason turned and saw Daniel apologizing.

“The Hell's going on here?” demanded the rosy-cheeked man, making Daniel act incredibly flustered. “You think it's funny to ruin my fiancé's dress? I spent over two hundred dollars on that!” Jason walked up to Daniel and Kristina while yelling about how her brother was a complete idiot and a disgrace to her family name. Kristina tried to calm Jason down, but he wouldn't have any of it.

Jason rolled up his sleeves, then let loose a punch so hard it knocked Daniel straight to the ground. His drunken bellowing filled the room and his face turned purple from anger. He punched Daniel again, knocking the young man unconscious. Various onlookers dashed forward, trying to pull back Jason, finally succeeding to do so after the second blow.

Everybody was still talking about Jason, but it was about how he was no longer engaged.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
Jason is pretty much a dick!
where the hell did that come from jason

i mean judging from the way people talk about jason he is a pretty great guy so why is he suddenly such an unreasonable prick? is the whole point that he is duplicitous? if so, daniel doesnt seem to know that

also the repeat with different perspective thing is a little meh because nothing particularly interesting is revealed through it other than at the end dun dun dun she dumped his ass

or are they supposed to be two separate pieces
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
post=201271
also the repeat with different perspective thing is a little meh

Did you miss the part where he had to write the same story in two perspectives for a writing class
marimo
Nessiah's Seme-kun
Hmm I like that the frustration and irritation from Daniel was well delivered. Even I was sick of Jason for awhile! And Yeah, I agree that sudden transition from Great Jason to Punching a guy for an Accident Jason, was a bit abrupt and sudden but I suppose everyone gets a little too touchy about very expensive dresses.

Loved the ending though! A very nice wrap. :)
I thought the sudden transition of Jason suddenly to a jerk weird at first then I remembered that he's already getting drunk with that wine while talking to his Fiancee's mother in the second perspective. So maybe that's the reason?
An interesting exercise, and one pulled off well. In third person, you know more of what's happening, but you only get the emotional response in first person. It would be interesting to see the other characters' points of view, especially Jason's!
Craze
Yeah, I agree the transition of Jason being a drunken jerk suddenly was awkward, too, but hopefully the professor thinks that "lulz alcohol" is a solid enough justification.

A first-person view of Jason would be very difficult for me since I've never been drunk, and have now idea how to emulate a drunk guy's thoughts.

Thanks for the comments, everybody. =D
post=201327
post=201271
also the repeat with different perspective thing is a little meh
Did you miss the part where he had to write the same story in two perspectives for a writing class

i was just suggesting that it could have been done differently not that it shouldnt have been done at all

nigga plz
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Pretty great! Liked the shift. It doesn't really need to bee justified. Not everyone is as pretty as they seem, and yeah a little alcohol can bring out their inner self, for sure.
post=201617
I've never been drunk, and have now idea how to emulate a drunk guy's thoughts.

Time for research!
If Jason was an army guy, it would make perfect sense, because then you portray his psyche as one of those upstanding men who aims to be a good soldier but that would coincide with his nature as an irrational and violent man at his core. Family pride and vindictive short fuse unite.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Soldiers are irrational and violent?
This one could be, is all I'm saying. You need a plot device that a) explains why his family atolls him such a high level of virtue and b) provides a basis for introspection whereby we can say that he COULD be irrational and violent at the heart of his psyche, and it shows himself when he forgets his social rules: when he's outside of his typical structure that holds him in line, drunk and so not in complete control of his responses, and opportunely pissed off.

His environment could explain why he resolves to a display of power and control as one of violent force.
Craze
I refuse to partake in any zomgsubstance that isn't caffeine (in coffee form; I don't drink soda). I don't smoke, drink alcohol, do drugs or even take common stuff like Ibuprofen or cold medicine. My dad has to force me to take multivitamins when I'm home on breaks (I usually hide them).

Well, okay, I sometimes take additional fiber (no, my bowels are nowhere near as bad as my nose) but I try to just eat lots of fruit instead.
That's kinda funny, considering how screwed up caffeine is.
Craze
I don't drink coffee at school, though, which is where I spend most of my year, so... yeah.
I don't think they are interdependent at all. After reading the first perspective, the second perspective doesn't provide me with much more information, just a sentence that describes what Krissy feels about the attention her fiancé gets.

The last line in the second perspective is also not provided in the first, but it was heavily implied (Daniel in first person indicated he knew the ramifications of what was about to transpire). So no, the second perspective didn't provide any additional insight. It's written from an omniscient point of view, but also narrated as though someone else at the party was recalling the events. It's a bit awkward, I can't put my finger on it.

The second perspective also truncates dialogue in lieu of summarizations, which I think has stronger consequences in terms of watering down the conflict. It seemed natural in first person, as Daniel was clearly recalling events. From a global narration, however, it seems more prudent to provide all the spoken dialogue and let the reader summarize themselves (for example, saying "yelling about how her brother was a complete idiot" is a way of putting into one's own words, which kinda suggests a partiality that a third person narrator shouldn't have. Same thing occurs earlier with "...but maybe that was just his fourth glass of wine getting to him").

The first perspective is quite a bit more entertaining, and I don't really have any qualms with it. You took care to exchange heavily-biased observations made by Daniel and turn them into impartial ones (aside from the minor ones I mentioned above). Also, I'd note that this story is hard to tell from an impartial perspective...because the core of the story is ABOUT an opinion: what people think about Jason.

Look forward to seeing more, and I'm also interested to hear what your teacher said if anything. Post other assignments too!
Pages: first 12 next last