THE DUMBEST IDEA YOU EVER TRIED TO MAKE

post=202818
post=202335
post=202334
Making an ambitious product when you're a one man army.
That's not a dumb idea. One person could probably accomplish a lot.
It says "ambitious" project. Not "look at my big open spaces and 5 minute plot" project. One person can make an ambitious project but it'll take 4 years longer than a team of people.

Pfftt... it only took me 3 years.
It also took you a Hellion and a Generica!
the shopkeeper for an item shop was a pedo-clown. And I was going to plan on making him a hidden boss, too.
an entire game based on the Gummi Ship system from Kingdom Hearts
Power rangers game. ;D
These are amazing. If ambitious one-man projects are considered bad, then you three guys need to get together as a team and combine these three ideas into one game.

The Mighty Morphine Power Pedo Clown Rangers!

post=202427
... and the funny thing is, when I haven't even finished making the first game, I decided to jump and make the SEQUEL... That had to be the dumbest.

I know exactly how my best game will end, and the music for the credits. Now I just have to start making the 4 episodes before I can see it!

My only fully completed game is a remake of Smurf Rescue for the Colecovision, done in Rm2k. It features Gordon Freeman traveling across 4 areas of scripted jumps with fast-paced "Rise of the Triad" music, and a final 'battle' with a giant retarded rat to the sound of the Bionic Man sound effect. Secrets included: Gordon is reading the Myst Reader (3 novels from the D'ni universe in 1 book), I play the character "The Fool" and there is a surprise ending with a dark nemesis!

- Mike
my dumbest, or at least among them, would probably be the time I made some special way of updating different properties of weapons in rm2k3, which basically meant a lot of variable operations. It ended up with about 8500 variable operations on a single event page and it took about 2 min just to open the event afterwards.
A bit later I found out that "call event" would made things a lot easier
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Man, I've done stuff like that. Except it was in battle events in RM2K3, so it couldn't have been turned into a common event, because RM2K3 sucks. I had coded an Omnislash ability, which is complex enough on its own, but in my case it was even worse because I made sure it always did the full number of hits and didn't kill the last enemy until the final hit, and if the final hit killed an enemy it replaced the final damage number with the text YOU GOT SERVED

From then on my database took an extra 7 minutes to open each time. Woo.
post=203722
a remake of Smurf Rescue for the Colecovision

HOLY SHIT
post=202818
post=202335
post=202334
Making an ambitious product when you're a one man army.
That's not a dumb idea. One person could probably accomplish a lot.
It says "ambitious" project. Not "look at my big open spaces and 5 minute plot" project. One person can make an ambitious project but it'll take 4 years longer than a team of people.

If I actually wanted to smash deadlines and go as fast as insanely possible, I could have been halfway done with WeaponBirth in the summer or even more. But I want to relax and take it smooth and easy so I'm going much slower. But then-

Team Fortress 2 was a game where they already had lots of stuff all lined up to go, but they spend a very long development time to get all the gameplay and models down just right (just fire the game up and listen to the commentary bubbles). Just because you have a year and a half worth's of work under your feet in the form of some RPG making toolkit, you might also want to just take much longer to make your game to get the gameplay just right.

In any case, time is only an issue if you're a commercial developer and you're running out of it. Your deadline is coming and you're really wanting to hit the market at the right time as calculated from before. You will lose quite a bit of money if you stall for a while. For a hobby project, there is only feasible and not feasible.

ZUN makes all his personal stuff in much less than 4 years too, you know. That's the thing I'm also getting at, have you seen the games? Just because something is ambitious doesn't mean it's going to be an epic 45 hour long 2-CD game on the GameCube.
A pen&paper RPG based on this vid:

It was called Shovel. It was quite complex. In a retarded sort of way.
My newest game, Ellipsus! Actually the idea's pretty good but the execution is weak. Or so I say.
Awkward first attempts aside, I've never really put a lot of effort into anything overly dumb.

Then again, I hardly every get to the step of starting a project, so...
An rpg based around necromancy that involved...
-the main character's main drive being to revive his dead mentor.
-the resurrection of an evil grim reaper thing.
-a worldwide plague.
-the world geographically changing in the course of three hours.
-vampires.
-ninja women who trained with snowmen.
-a guard who would kill you instantly, no matter what level you were.
-a cat that would kill you instantly, no matter what level you were.

And I actually thought that this was awesome at the time -__-
How dare you make cats ohko's! But other than that, the ideas are kind of cool, though you'd really have a ball trying to explain to us why ninja women trained with snowmen.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
post=204319
ninja women who trained with snowmen

That is awesome
post=204339
It's all about the execution, mah boi.
post=204319
An rpg based around necromancy that involved...
-the main character's main drive being to revive his dead mentor.
-the resurrection of an evil grim reaper thing.
-a worldwide plague.
-the world geographically changing in the course of three hours.
-vampires.
-ninja women who trained with snowmen.
-a guard who would kill you instantly, no matter what level you were.
-a cat that would kill you instantly, no matter what level you were.

And I actually thought that this was awesome at the time -__-

Some things just shouldn't be coupled -__-
A game called Glowstick Raver's Night Out. A stupid story of club kids, Lee Hotti and friends, purple drank, and duckface.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
One game I didn't try to make, but actually finished (to my ultimate shame) was a game about Toad BOSS the pedophile.

A game me and my bro tried to make was HardLife, a game about drugs and prostitution.Not really a bad idea... Just outta our league at the timee.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
Making an account on RRR, does this count as a dumb idea?