1 MONSTER = 3 ENEMIES

Pages: first 123 next last
is there any way to make one single monster have many different parts on it, like being able to attack the head, arms, and body separately for example?
What maker?

Anywho, in RM2k/3, you have to take the monster sprite and chop it up manually in a paint program and then create 3 separate "monsters" for each body part, and then in the Battle tab, splice the "monsters" back together so that it looks like a single monster.

You will also have to have a battle event that tests to see if the main body dies, and if it does kill off any remaining limbs.
oh sorry. rm2k3 i always forget. ok i thought it was something like that but i wasnt sure. thx
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
You could also do what Deckiller did with his most recent game and make it to where you can attack different parts, and when all parts are dead have the core monster die. Of course you'd have to use invisible monsters and align them on the monster group to correspond with the different parts.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
In case anybody looks this question up and is using VX:

http://wiki.pockethouse.com/index.php?title=Enemy_Linked_Deaths

Yes, I know the OP is using 2k3 but I don't care.
Jimmy cracks corn and NO ONE cares. :'(
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
aw, for a second, i thought this was going to be discussion on how large, tasteless monster groups suck.

i was excited, then sorely disappointed.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Well, since the original question was answered, Tardis, it is now about how sucky monster groups are!
Personally I thought this was about how dumb and lazy monster sprite recolours are...
Dumb and Lazy?

I'm not sure I buy that. It's a quick way of introducing a new monster type without having to add in a new graphic (saving a bit on size), and 're-color' can be used to set up a pattern of such - monsters which are are immune to sort of thing.
Craze
Yes. Recolors can be used to great effect if done well (like anything else).

I'd explain it, but Brickroad does it better.

Brickroad
Consider, for instance, using palette-swapped enemy sprites throughout your game. Yes ripped resources are practically infinite and you can have a brand new enemy sprite for every single monster in every dungeon, but then the player has to go back to square one every time she meets a new foe. However, if you use a goblin sprite in the first dungeon and the player learns goblins are weak to ice magic, you can make a more powerful goblin in a later dungeon and, bing!, the player will assume this new one is weak to ice magic as well. Throwing the player a bone like this is a good idea once in a while.

You can read more about the power of consistency here.
Craze
I just want people to make better games. ;_;
post=202953
is there any way to make one single monster have many different parts on it, like being able to attack the head, arms, and body separately for example?

Chop the enemy sprite. (aka separate the graphics)
Make 3 enemies, Head, Arms, Body and do whatever on the stats
in the Troops Tab thingmajing, add the three enemies and order them to where they are supposed to be.
Test play
Re-colors are often used, just to make a new monster, but not have to design it. Yeah... Dragon Quest is a walking example of that. However, I don't care!

Maybe in the fantasy world of rpgmaker you can have unlimited time & resources to do whatever the fuck you want to do, but in the world of big business, time is short, resources are low, demands are high and costs are phenomenal. Things like recolors and palette swaps save time and money and precious memory.
Rule Number One: Use available resources.
I'll do recolors if the enemy you're fighting is supposed to be the exact same kind of enemy as before, but stronger. It would still be cool to add a little here and there to make them look stronger too. However, for weapon-wielding enemies, they will have different armor and weapons but may not be recolored if they're supposed to be from the same faction.
I find re coloring pretty lazy if you're trying to make a new monster, like in FFXII. I do like how they used it in KH where the different colors where their element, although they did have different names.

Pages: first 123 next last