PEOPLE WANT WHAT THEY CAN'T HAVE.

Pages: first 12345 next last
So some friends and I were at a roundtable talkin' about how pimpin' ain't easy and how bitches ain't shit (actually we were just shooting the breeze and talking about women and stuff in the most respectful way possible, I ain't even gonna lie), and one of my friends brought up a very interesting, and a very rock solid and time tested facet of attraction; the Law of Scarcity; basically, people want what they cannot (or feel they cannot) have.

Of course it doesn't just apply to attraction and people, it really applies to...just about anything, and pretty much everyone, in some degree or another. It's one of those reasons why people hoard Elixirs, take on convoluted sidequests, and why people always come back for more no matter how many times they get their ass kicked by an optional boss. A lot of this ties into the thrill of the challenge, yes, but that's intertwined with what I'm saying. People say they're not going to do this type of stuff, but they do.

Anyway, I'm not trying to make any particular point (yet). I want to throw this concept into the ether (you guys) and tell me what you come up with, or what's the first thing you think of when you envision this concept, and if its something you see as an attractive idea, how to skillfully craft that into game design.
Edit by Karsu: Stop being an obnoxious pissant.
I've always liked the idea of putting treasure chests in places that are impossible to reach (unless you cheat, of course). Even more, I like the idea of putting a one-of-a-kind--though ultimately useless--item in that chest that you'd never even know about otherwise. Kind of like how there's so much crap in The Way that you'd never know about unless you dick around in the editor, except in this case you see it right there and just can't get it.

On the other hand, that would drive completionists (me lol) up the wall so it's probably not that great of a thing to actually include.

Also: an optional boss that is literally unbeatable unless you cheat. If you do cheat to win, you get another unique, completely useless item. Oh and nothing in the game would so much as acknowledge the existence of the boss.

I think I just find these ideas enticing because I'm a sucker for the whole "thwart the player for behaving like expected/like a gamer" gimmick, and just the concept of screwing with the player's head in general.

I don't think I'm going anywhere with this, but maybe someone else finds this brand of "fuck you" as interesting as I do.
post=203121
I've always liked the idea of putting treasure chests in places that are impossible to reach (unless you cheat, of course). Even more, I like the idea of putting a one-of-a-kind--though ultimately useless--item in that chest that you'd never even know about otherwise. Kind of like how there's so much crap in The Way that you'd never know about unless you dick around in the editor, except in this case you see it right there and just can't get it.

On the other hand, that would drive completionists (me lol) up the wall so it's probably not that great of a thing to actually include.

Also: an optional boss that is literally unbeatable unless you cheat. If you do cheat to win, you get another unique, completely useless item. Oh and nothing in the game would so much as acknowledge the existence of the boss.

I think I just find these ideas enticing because I'm a sucker for the whole "thwart the player for behaving like expected/like a gamer" gimmick, and just the concept of screwing with the player's head in general.

I don't think I'm going anywhere with this, but maybe someone else finds this brand of "fuck you" as interesting as I do.

See, the problem with this is that it's tricking the player and that's generally a bad idea. Psyching players out and keeping them on their toes is one thing, but outright tricking them is another. It's like courting a girl for a month, and when you get the chance to finally go all the way, you find out she's a man. Who wins in that situation? Nobody.
post=203116
Edit by Karsu: Stop being an obnoxious pissant.
Roger!

But I still understanding the feeling of wanting what I can't have. I think it applies more easily to a young child than it does to a full-grown adult, since there is a lot more a child can't (or shouldn't) have.
I think it applies more easily to a young child than it does to a full-grown adult, since there is a lot more a child can't (or shouldn't) have.

Oh it definitely applies to adults. Like you said, it's just more easily applied to kids. Like I said, it not only applies to what they can't have (promotion at a job/relationships/money/friends/whatever), but what they think they can't have, or at least can obtain easily.

Now, apply this to game design.
Well, there is one part I don't quite understand. One of your examples was

It's one of those reasons why people hoard elixirs
Now, what's confusing me is what does that have to do with people wanting what they can't have? Clearly, the person hoarding it has it.
post=203121

I was toying around with this today, actually. I thought of including some random secret boss that was "pseudo-impossible", like, there would be one and ONLY one strategy to defeat it, and it would have to work perfectly. You wouldn't get anything good from it of course, cause why would you need it?

Thats one thing that I personally want but can't have: useful treasures from higher-tier optional bosses. I know theres like no point in having them cause you've beaten the hardest stuff in the game, but it would be nice. It's better than getting a "Medallion" or something like that that just says "Congratulations, you have too much spare time!" on it.

Now, what's confusing me is what does that have to do with people wanting what they can't have? Clearly, the person hoarding it has it.

Not if he uses them.
post=203130
Not if he uses them.
Oh now I get it. Yeah, I'm the same way with magic replenishing items. Even if I can buy them en masse, I hardly ever use them.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
post=203129
I was toying around with this today, actually. I thought of including some random secret boss that was "pseudo-impossible", like, there would be one and ONLY one strategy to defeat it, and it would have to work perfectly. You wouldn't get anything good from it of course, cause why would you need it?

I don't know about you guys but this sounds like a major turn off to me.
post=203137
post=203129
I don't know about you guys but this sounds like a major turn off to me.
That's a turn off for everybody. Unless it's a puzzle, in which case it only turns off some people.
You know what I want? More modern/ futuristic rpg's, side scrollers, etc. NOT FPS's, NOT FANTASY. Actually, even just modern/ futuristic rpg's, side scrollers, etc. in general. Why can't I have this? :'(
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
post=203140
You know what I want? More modern/ futuristic rpg's, side scrollers, etc. NOT FPS's, NOT FANTASY. Actually, even just modern/ futuristic rpg's, side scrollers, etc. in general. Why can't I have this? :'(

Why would anyone want to make games of what we're already experiencing or will shortly when games can be made in an attempt to experience what was lost to the pages of history, the sands of time, hundreds of years ago?
post=203140
This, sorta. I still enjoy Fantasy, but FPS's are too frequent. We need less of them.
STAY ON TOPIC GUYS

Seriously this isn't the 'what I want out of life' topic. Stick to game design!
Here is your one time use Glass Sword and Brick. You will only get one of each. If you can find them they are your get out of jail free cards

if you suck
post=203124
See, the problem with this is that it's tricking the player and that's generally a bad idea. Psyching players out and keeping them on their toes is one thing, but outright tricking them is another. It's like courting a girl for a month, and when you get the chance to finally go all the way, you find out she's a man. Who wins in that situation? Nobody.
w-what if you're bisexual/pansexual/somethingelsesexual?

I see what you mean, but I guess to me it feels more like just playing on that desire to want things you can't have than outright trickery. In fact, you could even inform the player that it's absolutely impossible. I'm not saying necessarily that I encourage putting this into a game, but I wouldn't oppose it if it was either. I just think it'd interesting to see and hear the reactions to something like that; you don't expect anything unwinnable in a game, after all. (Excluding story-related boss battles against dark knights or demigods, obviously.)

Re: items, I basically never use them except in the final battles if I can help it. Unless the game has limited inventory space and an abundance of items, in which case I use them wherever possible.

Re: bosses that require one specific strategy, the ultimate bosses in both Digital Devil Saga games were sort of like this in that you pretty much had to keep count of their turns to have any chance. Also the one in the first game kills your party instantly if you so much as enter battle with immunity to an element.

Re: glass sword, oh my god Riviera flashbacks aaaaa
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
What I would enjoy is putting in a chest that's completely unreachable (as stated before), a chest that gives the player some sort of awesome equipment/reward, but attempting to leave the area after the impossible chest is opened results in a game over. Sort of like an anti-hacking measure, but more annoying in that if you save after cheating, you have to start all over again, or at least from your secondary file.
Pages: first 12345 next last