CRAZEWRITING 2

Pages: 1
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
New piece, new topic. I probably won't do this every week, but I feel like this might just be the most adorable thing I've ever written.

I really hate how it ends. Suggestions? I mean, by the time you read this I'll already have turned it in, but still. I'm open to critique.

The assignment was to develop 2-3 characters based on their dialogue and interactions with one another while playing a common non-athletic game.

Hang Me, Please
“B? Yeah, B.”

“You idiot, you're supposed to say 'A'! It's obviously 'Monica'.” Nick, hanging over the edge of his seat, thwacked the guesser on the shoulder. The bus driver looked up and told Nick to sit down, please.

“But there's only 'M' and 'I' filled in. How should I know?”

The reply came from the boy sitting next to the guesser. “Maybe because you've got a crush on her real bad.” He smirked and handed the notebook smothered with letters over to his friend. “How'd you like it if she started talking to you, Erk?”

Erik began furiously drawing a pedestal with two lines underneath it, then glared at Harry.

“Only two letters? The heck? Whatever.” Harry looked at his friend, then again at the paper. “N.” Erik bit his tongue and wrote the letter in the first slot. “O.”

Nick crawled over the edge of his seat again. “Meaning 'yes,' right Erk?”

“It wasn't a yes or no question,” said Harry. “Give me that.” He flipped the notebook over to reveal a page with some random doodles, which he crossed out. After a moment to set up the new game, he asked Erik for his first guess. It got to the point where the hanging man had a thumb on each hand.

“IT'S 'SHE LIKES YOU TOO'!” burst Nick, not able to contain himself any longer. In his excitement, he managed to slide off of his seat before the bus driver could tell him to sit down. The bus driver looked back at the road; all of the children turned to look at seat B7.

Erik grabbed the notebook, his face bright red. He drew a pedestal with a man fully hanged and an arrow pointing to it labeled “Harry Jenkins.” Underneath he scratched six lines and the words “shut up.”

Harry smiled. “I'm not lying. She's besties with my older sister!”

Erik didn't talk to Harry for the next two bus stops. Finally, Harry took the notebook and set up a new game, grinning. Nick had propped his elbows up on the seat's edge again already.

“M.” “Yup.” Harry marked the letter down. Nick asked if it was “Monica,” playfully punching Erik.

“The word doesn't start with an 'M',” sighed Harry. Nick made a weird noise and slid back down into his seat, bored.

Erik bit his tongue again. “N.” “Yup.” By the time the hanging man was wearing a top hat, Erik had managed to guess that “I” was the last letter in an incorrect spelling of “pomegranate.”

“That was dumb,” said Erik. Harry leaned over and whispered into his friend's ear: “that's Monica and my sister's codename for you.” Nick, listening in again, laughed hysterically at Erik's blushing face.

The bus driver was relieved when he finally got to the trio's street.
Yeah the bus driver POV is out of place, since he's really just part of the environment.
I think the driver's POV was fine.

The exchanges between the boys were a little confusing, knowing who was talking to who. I don't have a rulebook, but I think that if one character takes a turn to speak after another, they automatically get a new line.

Aside from that, based on what your description of your assignment was...I see three kids that are no older than 11 years, two of them picking on a third for his embarrassing crush on an older girl, but are still all friends. Nothing out of character for them, they pretty much think like kids the whole time. Works for me!
Pages: 1