OBLIGATORY SELF-BASED CHARACTERS

Pages: first 12 next last
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
We all (generally) have at least one, or a couple that start out self-based but evolve through the storyline or some such. Some of us even go as far as naming these characters after ourselves- though on the internet it can sometimes be hard to tell whether or not someone's doing this.

In my personal opinion, they're great especially for beginner writers and developers and even for advanced ones. Who better do you know than yourself, after all? Rather than having to ask 'what would this character say/do in this situation, you can easily ask 'what would I do?'

The aim of this topic: discuss self-based characters of your own, their roles in games, and your opinion on them overall.

I do have one myself that remains mostly self-based. Her name is Kaira -something- and she's generally a bit more confident and less cowardly version of myself. I don't use her often in games but if asked for a character or some such for a cameo I generally give out her picture :)
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Guilty! The main hero in Pokémon Hunter is named after myself and shares most of my views on stuff. I didn't make him exactly the same as me, but it's not too far of a shot. We're as similar as a fantasy swordsman and a computer nerd can be, I guess.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
The last time that I did this was back in 2003 with "Mystic Quest". Though, one thing I can't stand are people that name characters after themselves, and then give those characters the power of God and a tendency to be popular with every single woman they come across (read: sleeping with). Do you really have to prove your inadequacies by turning yourself into an invincible, all-powerful Mary Sue?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Felix in Demon Tower/Diablocide is pretty much me, and Darren is my ideal man. In the most recent version that nobody saw, Titania underwent some changes and is based on a good friend of mine.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I don't use any self-based characters. I do reuse names from old chatroom sims and stuff, like Deckiller, Youngwood, etc. Nothing to do with myself, though. You'd have to be mentally ill rational to think that a character named "Deckiller" reflects the real life of a person named Tyler. Because then I'd be in prison!

Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
post=205118
The last time that I did this was back in 2003 with "Mystic Quest". Though, one thing I can't stand are people that name characters after themselves, and then give those characters the power of God and a tendency to be popular with every single woman they come across (read: sleeping with). Do you really have to prove your inadequacies by turning yourself into an invincible, all-powerful Mary Sue?

Yes, this definitely annoys me. I use self-based characters because of the example I provided- it's easier to assess character situation than it is with characters you've developed yourself. Just because a character is self-based does not make them god of their world, which you as the creator pretty much are. They should be totally limited to everything all your other characters are.
Although, I am curious as to this self-based character that's extremely popular with the ladies.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I don't have any self-based characters (I personally don't find myself interesting enough to be in an adventure story). Ironically enough, the opposite is kind of true. I came up with the name Sailerius for a character to be in a game who didn't end up making the cut. I thought it sounded cool and so I used it as my forum alias so that it wouldn't go to waste.
In terms of naming, it is always easy to just name characters of people you already know. It is a pain to come up with cool sounding/relevant names for your game characters. Most of the time, you just end up making them sound dumb, or dumb relatively to each other. "Gandolf and Bob's Grand Adventure"
I base all my characters on myself. In my very first game I even named three or four characters after myself too. Nowadays the carbon copy of myself is usually found in a cameo just for fun. But every single character has some aspect of me in it. As does whole games of mine. It might not be obvious that a game is made by me but it's pretty obvious really.

Because it's all me.

Mememememememe.

Me.

I never actually understood what was so bad about Mary Sues either. They are pretty much what roleplaying games are all about :D
Sailerius
did someone say angels
post=205161
I never actually understood what was so bad about Mary Sues either. They are pretty much what roleplaying games are all about :D

You're RPGing wrong.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I've got a cameo in every game I've made. Usually as Michael or Dudesoft. I'm just too egotistical not to.
Sometimes I don't name them as me at all, and just write them as me. Megaman.EXE in the Take Down series is wrote in my perspective as a person stuck in a world filled with dumb RPG dialogue.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My old shitty RPG Maker 95 game was full of this garbage. It was pretty unbearable. Some of the characters were more like their real-life counterparts than others. I gave one of them a love story with a demon, and I don't think he appreciated it. Another one I killed off in a plot twist after we stopped being friends in real life.

Vindication has a couple minor cameos of people I used to know, but none of the playable characters are based on real people, and the cameos are subtle enough that players will mostly just think I'm bad at naming minor characters. Some of the main characters are loosely based on the RPG Maker 95 characters that were based on real people, but they have nothing in common with the real people - they only share the character traits that the RM95 characters developed that the real people don't have. I'm not sure that sentence makes sense.

Though I didn't base any of the characters in Vindication off of myself or anyone else, I do actually sometimes use one of their names as a name for my characters in video games that don't have default hero names. And in situations online where I need a fantasy style name instead of FF3LockeZ.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I just find it hilarious when people use their username as the characters name. If it's a joke game, whatever, but in a serious game, it really kills it when you have a character called "XxOmega_TeraxX" as the main character.

But as for my games, I nearly always base characters off of people I know. Largely co-workers and friends. The Island Sky characters (Of course not the villains), part of the Paradise Blue characters, and most of the Azulea characters are this way. In earlier unreleased projects (I don't have them anymore), I would try to make myself the main character. Different name, looks, but the same personality. Didn't work, I thought the character ended up boring (Though I myself am pretty boring, so that's a pretty accurate characterization I guess!). I try to avoid using myself as a character now, except in the case of Island Sky/Azuleas Sabrina. I had to add a bit of someone elses personality into the mix too but I think she's at least the more interesting attempt to add myself into a game.
I go out of my way to make sure every character I put any real focus on has at least one major flaw.

Take the four main characters I had planned for Caldesian Dreams.

Kataline: Completely ignores other peoples feelings.
Zunni: (see Avatar) Naive ditz who tends to space out a lot and miss completely obvious things like dangerous monsters trying to eat her.
Kell: So obsessed with finding treasure and proving himself to the others that he's a completely reckless abrasive jerk.
Rheen: Has no confidence and is so wrapped up in his own problems and misery that it never occurs to him to help others with their problems.

All lovable characters in their own way but none of them is anywhere close to a Mary-Sue.
I don't think people would want a character like me: a shut-in who is socially inept, and whenever he does speak, he either is ignored or looked at funny at best, or hated at worst.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Actually, MKID232, That sounds like a great comedic main cast character persona.
post=205176
Actually, MKID232, That sounds like a great comedic main cast character persona.
Really? That's a bit surprising. Writing him and making him come to life would be a bitch, though, even if he is based on me.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
Erm. I don't know. I guess I massively turned off when the name of the main character is the same as the developer. That's just a personal thing. I guess somewhere deep down inside I feel people do that to beat off to their ~ anime fantasy ~, but I know that is not always the case.
I haven't based a character completely off of myself, but I do put elements of my personality into each of the characters that I write, both the good and bad traits.
Pages: first 12 next last