MOG'S HEALTH & FITNESS CENTER (HEY MOG #3)

Pages: first 12 next last
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
You always wanted to talk about pumping iron on RMN... now's your chance...

I just want to know what kind of exercise and how much of it I need to do to get that slightly athletic 'toned' look. I run like 30-40 minutes every day which keeps me fit or whatever, but nothing impressive... please give me your expert fitness advice. Thanks!!!
I pump a million pounds every day
Remember that earthquake that time? Yeah, one of my weight plates slipped out of the bar.
What is your physique now and how much do you eat daily (approx)?
Hey mog, were you the one who uploaded that 8 minute abs vid to the zoo one time? I don't remember but I think it was you.
Ciel
idk i am slim, but not skinny...just normal i guess. probably a good weight for my height (177cm). every day i eat some toast/cereal, an apple, cheese, rice/potatoes, tuna/salmon, milk, tea... not a lot but probably enough, nothing 'unhealthy'. I don't eat much meat aside from chicken or fish, haven't had red meat in years. i only pretend to smoke to look cool but don't really.
post=205472
Hey mog, were you the one who uploaded that 8 minute abs vid to the zoo one time? I don't remember but I think it was you.

I'm not really sure. 8 minute abs is pretty much bullshit anyway!

post=205501
idk i am slim, but not skinny...just normal i guess. probably a good weight for my height (177cm). every day i eat some toast/cereal, an apple, cheese, rice/potatoes, tuna/salmon, milk, tea... not a lot but probably enough, nothing 'unhealthy'. I don't eat much meat aside from chicken or fish, haven't had red meat in years. i only pretend to smoke to look cool but don't really.

Well I mean I'll break it down to you in simple generalities, it's pretty much like this; if you want to gain muscle, that requires two things basically.

Number one is eating a certain amount of food. I don't know enough about your diet to say 'eat more', but that's usually the case for most people trying to gain any sort of muscularity to their frame. At a glance, I'd say 'eat more' also applies to you as well. A lot of skinny people (and my 'default' natural born frame is skinny as well) eat a LOT less than they think. If you're looking to gain weight, there are a ton of calorie calculators to estimate how many more calories you have to eat to gain poundage. Counting your calories using a site like FitDay is great towards this end.

Also integral to Point Number One is protein. Muscle does not spring out of thin air; muscle synthesis is generated from getting enough protein (and calories, see above). For the purposes of gaining muscle, get at least the amount of grams of protein per pound bodyweight. Best case scenario is like, 1.5 of grams per pound bodyweight, but that's not absolutely necessary. If you don't red meat, that's okay, but make sure to make up for it. Powdered whey is good towards this end; don't worry, literally all it is is protein in powder form.

Point Number Two is what you're actually doing to supplement Point Number One, because doing #1 without doing what I'm about to tell you is just setting yourself up to get fat, or even worse, that 'skinnyfat' look. You have to actually work out. And uh, some people hate to hear this, but you're going to have to lift some weights. Don't get me wrong, cardio and running is absolutely great, and you can look pretty decent doing just that, but like I said, if putting actual, physical muscle on your frame, the hypertrophy gained from lifting iron is the quickest and most assured way of doing it, not to mention the myriad of other health benefits that weight lifting gives you. Lifting greats like Pavel Tsatsouline go so far to state that everyone should lift weights.

A lot of people dislike the notion because they don't want to get TOO big or look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and whatnot, but the best argument against that is simply that in all actuality, it's extremely difficult and time consuming to look like those dudes in bodybuilding magazines and shit. It does NOT happen by accident. Most people who lift weights literally do not have the genetics and the circumstances to look like that if they tried. Ever. I myself have been interested in this whole culture for years now (not bodybuilding, but physical fitness and weight training) and have been lifting since high school, and at 23 years old, I just look like a pretty fit, athletic guy, I suppose. I do not aim to look like a Mr. Olympia nor do I ever want to. So don't worry about that!

You'll have to work hard, but you can build up a foundation, keep going, and once you look like you want to look like (and feel how you want to feel), you just maintain. Going to the gym and lifting weights, or however you wish to keep in shape (I mean this could also apply to any athletic venture to be honest), is pretty awesome and the benefits are myriad and very noticeable to yourself.

Okay so anyway, my personal advice to you is to try out this particular beginner routine called Stronglifts 5x5. Read over that site and tell me what you think. Having to do barbell squats and deadlifts sounds kinda scary, but it's a lot easier than it seems, and it works. I tell you this because it's a HELL of a lot better than making up your own routine, which usually ends in failure because when people do shit like 'chest days' and 'arm days' and '15-20 reps' they're ignoring shit like muscle imbalances and generally they don't know what the hell they're doing. The human body and its response to stimuli, and muscle gain is a lot more complicated than lifting shit over and over again. It's not that simple and you can't just approach it however you want and get results.

I know this post is pretty long but! I have confidence that it's full of helpful advice.
What Mog said.

And if you want to gain weight, stop running.

Also, you have to eat at least 5-6 times/day.
Well, you don't have to STOP RUNNING entirely, but generally yeah, if you want to gain weight, running a lot is the antithesis of that.

And yeah eating more often throughout the day is a staple of gaining muscle.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
ciel needs to walk his hair daily.
Ciel
That is a lot of interesting information! I am surprised to hear about running and lifting, because I just see these track athletes with toned muscles and assumed it was mostly from running. It's weird because human beings are supposed to get exercise from hunting or whatever, like climbing up stuff and swimming and running from tigers and swinging from trees so, since there were no weights a billion years ago I thought you'd be able to get fairly 'toned' just from doing a lot of vigorous exercise. Maybe a lot of that exercise simulates the motion of lifting a dumbell??

Thanks for the tip about 'whey', I was wondering what a good way to get protein would be in the absence of red meat. I eat peanut butter but I was afraid if I ate too much I would get fat...!

post=205650
ciel needs to walk his hair daily.

please, do not let this topic get you out of your biotin swimming pool
Milk is always a winner for protein.

Also when they hunted a billion years ago, they had to carry their food back home!
post=205715
That is a lot of interesting information! I am surprised to hear about running and lifting, because I just see these track athletes with toned muscles and assumed it was mostly from running. It's weird because human beings are supposed to get exercise from hunting or whatever, like climbing up stuff and swimming and running from tigers and swinging from trees so, since there were no weights a billion years ago I thought you'd be able to get fairly 'toned' just from doing a lot of vigorous exercise. Maybe a lot of that exercise simulates the motion of lifting a dumbell??

A few notes (thanks for reading the whole thing; it was a lot more than I intended)

Honestly you are correct. A lifestyle of running from vicious animals, climbing up cliffs, swimming against rapids, and all of that shit will pretty much make you the most toned and athletic man alive. However in our lifestyle of sitting around and shit in offices with central air and all of that shit, those conditions mostly do not exist (unless you have a shitload of money and in that case throw on that safari hat). The easiest way to replicate those conditions are of course to join your local gym.

Supplementing a workout regimen with running and swimming is always a good idea, assuming you allow yourself enough rest for it, but when you really think about it, one of the closest ways you can replicate swinging from vines and climbing up cliffs is with a weightlifting routine (or more specifically in a lot of the above conditions, bodyweight actions such as pullups/pushups/reverse crunches/prone bridges/etc). And yeah, Natook is right; ancient people had to do a LOT of carrying and lifting shit. Think about your life minus cars, public transportation, and wheels in general.

post=205715
Thanks for the tip about 'whey', I was wondering what a good way to get protein would be in the absence of red meat. I eat peanut butter but I was afraid if I ate too much I would get fat...!

Peanut butter is a fine source of protein, but you do have to watch out for it, it's a lot of calories and yeah, eating too much can get you kinda fat if you don't watch out. But remember, gaining fat is wholly dependent on calorie consumption; the actual fat content of food is just contributing to the amount of calories the food contains; which gives the illusion that fat content=fat. It's just that fatty foods by nature has a lot of calories.

The two best sources of protein I'd say; milk and eggs. Milk is also probably the cheapest source of calories you can get; 2300+ cals a gallon.
Also, peanut butter helps increase testosterone.

Squats are amazing and do that as well.

Cardio is probably the most important thing a workout needs.

Best case scenario, do what you do now plus lifting and more milk/peanut butter.
Eating a lot of peanut butter will give you diarrhea though (first hand experience ._.) so watch out for that.
post=205734
Cardio is probably the most important thing a workout needs.

False.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
Really? What's a simple way to lose weight besides the usual constrain eating, cardio, etc. I'm born with a pretty large frame (especially for an Asian female) so I am fairly tall (compared to my ethnicity) and I have really broad shoulders. I think I hold my weight well as a result, but I'd like to get less chubs.
post=205810
Really? What's a simple way to lose weight besides the usual constrain eating, cardio, etc. I'm born with a pretty large frame (especially for an Asian female) so I am fairly tall (compared to my ethnicity) and I have really broad shoulders. I think I hold my weight well as a result, but I'd like to get less chubs.

Actually, let me expand on my above statement, I apologize. Cardio is NOT the most important thing a workout needs if you're lifting weights; they are pretty much exactly the antithesis of each other, and doing both at the same time requires an extremely careful balance. You can do both of them, and best case scenario one should actually be well rounded, but you're going to have to have a focus on one or the other generally.

In your case, YDS, if you're trying to LOSE weight, cardio and running is the way to go as far as your goal is concerned. Constrain your eating and run a lot, and you'll do a fine job of maintaining. If you REALLY want to push it to the limit, try HIIT. Light weightlifting is also an option if you wish; it won't hurt (and yes, lifting weights is an excellent fat burner if that's the route you want to go).
Mog how come you know all of that stuff?
Pages: first 12 next last