RELATIONSHIP SYSTEM AND COMBO ATTACKS

Pages: 1
In the current game im working on, i have been thinking to include a relationship system (I:E various girl the main charecter can fall for and in turn ,changing the story) And was wondering ,should it also effect battle? And if so ,how? I have also been thinking of including a combo attack system (I:E two charecters atacking at once for unleash a evestating attack) but, i woulnd have a clue how to do that. Plz comment your thoughts and ideas on both of these ideas. Any help or input would be much appreciated.
Maybe a higher relationship level applies slight stat buffs when two characters are fighting together.
Or maybe the higher the relationship level, the better chance to get a two (or more) people attack, somewhat like Disgaea, maybe.
Maybe if you have a good relationship, you can use specific support skills for to buff your the other person.
My own preference for this would be support skills - add (or remove) special skills that take advantage of each other's abilities based on the relationship stat.
higher chance of stabbing the other in the back

status/element buffs
combo skills
gifts for the girls could go towards better rewards
Aww ,yeah ,kinda what i was thinking. I honestly, love in RPG's when there is a relationship system. IMO, it allows the player to get more emotionally involved and more entertained.
I definitely prefer active abilities rather than passive, so I don't like the notion of your relationship affecting the chance for combo abilities to activate. Having a better relationship unlock new combo abilities is more interesting, and is also easier to balance fights around.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Fair warning, if you make your relationship system affect battle then the player will basically have no choice but to pick the character he uses most in battle as his love interest. If you don't like limiting the player's story options based on their gameplay choices (or vice-versa, depending on whether the player thinks story or gameplay is more important), you might not want to go this route.

Also, if you have some characters who are forcibly present on the team a lot more often than others, it could get in the way of letting the player freely choose. The character who's on the team the most will be the "default" love interest, due to the fact that the player will most often need that character to be stronger.

Not to say it's a bad idea, these are just some things to think about when designing how it works.
I figured a relationship system would affect every character, whether they were the love interest or not. Though, a high relationship score would be necessary to pursue a romantic path with that character.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Normally in most games you can only get one character as your romantic interest at a time. And I was assuming that the character who is your romantic interest is the only one with whom you can do your ULTIMATE C-C-C-COMBO.

If you can get to full power with everyone, then that would certainly solve the problem I mentioned above. It might also cheapen the feeling of importance of getting your relationship to the final level, though. Everything is always a trade-off.
lol. If im not mistakin ,the star ocean games had a relationship system.
The way I handle my relationship system is for the player to accumulate "happiness" points for each of the candidates. Once you reach a certain threshold for one character, you can view a scene in which heightens their relationship and also post their stats. Different characters boosts different stats, i.e. one girl will boost both character's defense, another will boosts both attack rate, etc. Every scene the relationship grows more and more and the characters become more and more powerful. Once you reach the third scene for one girl, no other girls can go beyond the second scene as a way of not making it turn into a harem.
Pages: 1