HOW TO SET UP A MOVIE FOR RPG MAKER 2003

Pages: 1
I'm trying to create a cool RPG, but I want to put a movie at the beginning of the game, so that it runs once. How do I do that, and what files do I use?
Do you mean before the title screen, or when you hit new game?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
If you need to ask such questions, you have no business dealing with videos of any kind. Don't bother and stick to map-based cutscenes.
post=208115
If you need to ask such questions, you have no business dealing with videos of any kind. Don't bother and stick to map-based cutscenes.
I agree. i think map-based cutscenes are a good place to start until you get more familiar with the maker. but if it is supposed to be an important part of the game, i guess you could try for the movies (i think theyre supposed to be in AVI format right?)
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
EDIT: I did have it wrong. I mistook the question for something else. I apologize.
post=208115

Someone could easily know how to make movies, yet know little about programming.
KingArthur
We already know the OP does not know a thing about creating video files from his question of "what files do I use?"*, thus my statement applies. Now, whether he knows how to make map-based cutscenes or not is reserved for another topic, but I assumed he does.

*"Files" can range in anything from the actual video file to the files used in the process of creating the video file.

EDIT: Incidentally, there is nothing worse than a badly created video file. Seriously. Waste of disk space and eye + ear cancer all in one package.
Instead of being rude you should either post helpful information or nothing at all. It's not up to you to decide if someone should learn something new :/ Gotta start somewhere, and asking for help is that first step.

As far as making it play at the start of your game and only once:
Start the game with your hero invisible(or covered by a tile that is above hero) and a map with nothing on it, probably just a black background.
Put an autostart event on that map with the play move command inside it.
After that command put a teleport event to the next map and make the hero visable. Then just never teleport to that first map again.

Movies can only be 320x240 as you can see in the play movie command. You might think that's small but when you play a RM2k3 game fullscreen the resolution is like, what? 640x480? so it ends up being pretty large and zoomed in.

It's up to you to actually make the movie file. That's where you need some practice to create something decent. Or you could just take some other movie file and just practice using the command with a movie that is already created. I would suggest doing this first to see how the game handles the movie file, that way you get an idea if its something you want to continue pursuing. I have no idea if there are other restrictions like size/length, but just start with a short movie.

It might not look good but if you really want to try, don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Worse thing that could happen is that you learn something about movie making.

If we never tried anything that we don't already know about how would we ever grow as a programmer? geez
KingArthur
post=208882
Instead of being rude you should either post helpful information or nothing at all.

I've seen more than enough cases of videos that were encoded in such a way they exerted one or more of the following problems:

A. Needlessly big file size.
B. Video and/or audio that were compressed too much and was of unenjoyable quality.
C. De-synchronized video and audio.
D. Use of less than an ideal choice of codecs and/or container format for the job.
E. Incorrect usage of filters.
F. Incorrect aspect ratio.
G. Incorrect configuration of codecs and/or encoders for the job.

I admit I'm rude, but I've come to realize that the creation of videos which are to be released to the public must never be done by a run-of-the-mill average computer user.

Yes, all those videos featured in commercial games are awesome. Yes, that sequence in that anime/movie/etc. was beyond words. Yes, you would like to partake some of that same awesome. However, creating a good video file requires at least a basic understanding of software and hardware knowledge far beyond the fundamentals asked by the OP. This is the one thing that the average user should never be spoonfed whatever the consequences.
I agree with Arthur. Sure, having videos in your game is nice, but nobody likes videos that were just thrown together in Windows Movie Maker.
If you wanna have videos in your game, you gotta know what you're doing and have good technology to do it.
That seems tough...Ok.
Now, if I want to make a map-based video...I should start with a transparent sprite, right?

Well, I kinda want my movie to be like this:

Hero exits a building in the port.
Then hero watches an ominous figure leave...

That would mean that I have to create some switches...right?
I admit I'm rude, but I've come to realize that the creation of videos which are to be released to the public must never be done by a run-of-the-mill average computer user.

No, I think games would be more awesome with a cut up sequence of Hellsing with some annoying emo metal played over it add at the start.
KingArthur
That seems tough...Ok.
Now, if I want to make a map-based video...I should start with a transparent sprite, right?
It depends on whether you want the system backend to handle the hero in the cutscene as an event portraying the hero or the hero itself. Either would work in this case.

Well, I kinda want my movie to be like this:
Hero exits a building in the port.
Then hero watches an ominous figure leave...
That's fairly easy to do with a minimal amount of switches depending on how complex you want the cutscene to be. I would suggest looking at how other cutscenes from various RM games are setup and go from there.
Pages: 1