RM2K3 - ACCESS VIOLATION ERROR WITH REFLECT STATUS CONDITION?

Pages: 1
Hey everyone. I came across this error last night when I was trying to add a "Reflect" condition (toggled on/off via a checkbox in the conditions screen). I got to the point where an enemy could cast a reflect spell on another enemy (or itself) enabling the condition.

When a hero in the first four slots of the Hero tab within the database casts a spell on the enemy with the reflect condition, it reflects back to a hero fine. However, when characters in slots 5+ of the Hero tab try to cast magic on said enemy, the battle animation plays once on the enemy, and right before it reflects back to the hero, it crashes out with the following error:

"Access violation in module RPG_RT.exe in with address ######## and offset 00000080 of type Write occurred"

I'm not at home right now, so I'm not sure what the hex address is, but has anyone run into this issue before? I've tried multiple patched exes (standard rm2k3, latest power mode exe with patched symbols, unpatched power mode exe ) and the same error occurs.

This has me annoyed and bummed out! I wants me some reflectin' spells!
I've seen that error a bunch of times, but usually it meant I did something wrong while screwing around with DestinyPatch or PicPointer. However, if that's not what you're using, it would be helpful to see the "code" for the reflect spell. Also, some useful debugging you can do yourself would be to try reordering the heros. For instance, if hero with database position 3 is actually in party slot 2 and uses a spell on a reflecting enemy, what happens? Does the hero in the 3rd slot get hit or does the right hero get hit? If it's the former, (which I'd say there's a 70% chance) then somewhere you or RM is using database number instead of party position. Otherwise I can't think of why that would happen only for heros with higher database values.
In general, though, giving enemies a Reflect condition is bad in RM2k3. Unlike in FFVI where a reflected spell always hits, in RM2k3 if an enemy is reflected and the hero is reflected, you can end up in an infinite loop as the spell bounces back and forth, crashing the game.

As for this specific error, I have no ideas.
I'm not sure about this since I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I think what you describe here doesn't happen in version 1.09a, try to look for it… the downside of things is that if you like patches you won't be able to use almost any of them on it.
Oh, whoops, ignore my stuff. I thought you were putting in some sort of reflect skill using battle events. I'm too used to RM2K where there is no reflect thing in the conditions menu. In that case I don't have enough 2k3 knowledge to really help...
post=211652
In general, though, giving enemies a Reflect condition is bad in RM2k3. Unlike in FFVI where a reflected spell always hits, in RM2k3 if an enemy is reflected and the hero is reflected, you can end up in an infinite loop as the spell bounces back and forth, crashing the game.

As for this specific error, I have no ideas.

Yeah it definitely seemed the issue was with the reflect flag in the conditions screen. If it's out of my control, then I'll just scrap the idea. Has anyone tried writing one with battle events?

post=211656
I'm not sure about this since I haven't tested it thoroughly, but I think what you describe here doesn't happen in version 1.09a, try to look for it… the downside of things is that if you like patchs you won't be able to use almost any of them on it.

I'll look around for it later today when I get home and see if it works. I might try some of the Cherry patches.
post=211669
Oh, whoops, ignore my stuff. I thought you were putting in some sort of reflect skill using battle events. I'm too used to RM2K where there is no reflect thing in the conditions menu. In that case I don't have enough 2k3 knowledge to really help...

Haha, nope. Reflect is a checkbox in the "Conditions" tab. It's built into 2k3.
Yeah it definitely seemed the issue was with the reflect flag in the conditions screen. If it's out of my control, then I'll just scrap the idea. Has anyone tried writing one with battle events?

Oh, now that I can help with. Don't do it. As you're trying to intercept skills before they hit, you'd be in for a rough ride, probably the best solution being to turn all skills into switch skills and then manually doing the damage stuff and ugh don't do that.
I just made a bugfix for it.

http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-1890/reflectfix.rar

Use Hyper Patcher 2 to apply it. (for RM2k3 v1.09a, you can also use the IPS file)
Lol seriously? Emptybrain never played Final Fantasy or at least realized the reflection tennis problem? I can see how little oversights can be found in most software but this is getting ridiculous.
Pages: 1