RPGS THROUGH THE GENERATIONS

Pages: first prev 12 last
I can't believe nobody mentioned NES: Pool of Radiance
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
NES:

The Legend of Zelda, Legacy of the Wizard? Hah, I didn't really play RPGs during this era.

Sega Master System:

See above.

Sega Game Gear:

See above.

Sega Genesis:

Beyond Oasis, Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun, Landstalker, Light Crusader, Phantasy Star III, Phantasy Star IV, Rings of Power, Shadowrun, Shining Force, Shining Force II.

I got exposed to a lot of RPG(esque) games thanks to the now defunct SEGA channel, which was awesome and way ahead of its time. I can remember missing some school to play Shining Force!

Super Nintendo:

Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Lufia, Shadowrun. This expands a lot more if action games with RPG elements are included.

Sony PlayStation:

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy Tactics, Grandia, Legend of Mana, Kartia, Suikoden, Suikoden II, Vagrant Story, remakes of older Final Fantasy games.

By this time I was pretty much a Squaresoft fanboy and had also developed a strong preference for strategy RPGs â€" FFT and Kartia were two of my favorites.

Nintendo 64:

I never owned a N64, but my brother did. I played a Quest 64 and liked it. Deal with it.

Microsoft Xbox:

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Fable, Jade Empire, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, X-Men Legends.

I decided to go with the Xbox instead of the PS2. I got exposed to a lot more wRPG style games, including those by BioWare. I would eventually get a PS2… but never looked a jRPG the same way.

Nintendo Game Boy Advance:

All of the RPGs I played were either remakes of SNES/Genesis games… or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, which was boring. I still played the heck out of them though.

Nintendo GameCube:

LOL.

Sony PlayStation 2:

Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Romance of the Three Kingdoms X, Suikoden III, Suikoden IV, Suikoden V.

For the record I bought a PS2 well after it had been released and got most of these titles out of nostalgia for my PSone days and never played them. Final Fantasy XII was pretty neat but couldn't hold my interest through the end.

Microsoft Xbox 360:

Blue Dragon, Dragon Age: Origins, the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Enchanted Arms, Final Fantasy XI, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2.

A nice mix of jRPG/wRPG games which was surprising after the last Xbox. However, Dragon Age and Mass Effect get played a lot… the others not so much. I actually played Dragon Age: Origins for the PC but am too lazy to make yet another list.

Sony PlayStation Portable:

Essentially all remakes and/or releases of older Sony PSone games.

tl;dr:

I have gone from a Squaresoft jRPG fanboy to a BioWare wRPG fanboy. <3 Morrigan.
Havent been around much ( alive ) so I cant say I really lived in the NES era.

Gameboy:
Some awsome rpgs on the gameboy series ( Color, Advanced and SP ). My favourites being Golden Sun, Harvest Moon and of course Pokemon.

SNES Emulation:
Was still a toddler when this was released e.t.c but I play alot of SNES games on P.C and PSP. My favorites being Chrono's Trigger and Earthbound as well as many others. Never really finished Final Fantasy I found it kind of corny but I'm certain the SNES and Game-boy era had some classics for sure.

PS2: I really wanted to get some rpg's for ps2 but un-fortunetly only got free roamers like G.T.A.

Xbox 360, PS3 and New school Nintendo ( DS and Wii ): This has to be the most interesting and at the same time disapointing year for rpg's with games as incredible as Mass Effect and Final Fantasy which seemed ( in other peoples opinions ) a let down for the series. Either-way games are more and more inovative but alas I cant afford the hype so I'm stuck with my ps2 and psp/pc emulations

My list through the generations:

SNES: Chrono's Trigger, Earthbound, Illusions of Gaia, Final Fantasy VII, Star Ocean, The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past, Mother 3.

GameBoy: Fire Emblem, Lufia, Golden Sun, Harvest Moon, Pokemon.

PSP: Star Ocean: Second Evolution, Monster Hunter ( Freedom 2, 2G, Unite ), Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker has some rpg elements

The rest I wont call real role playing games. I know I'm a total newbie and still have a ton of rpg games to play but each is usually so imersive... I actually really got into rpg games when I got rpg maker 2003 back in 2005 since.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
post=213049
NES: Dragon Warrior II
SNES: 7th Saga, Final Fantasy III
PSX: Wild ARMS, Lunar
PS2: Final Fantasy XII
DS: Dragon Quest IX
PSP: a shitload of remakes and ports

any console not mentioned I found not worth mentioning
post=213049
NES: Dragon Warrior II
SNES: 7th Saga, Final Fantasy III
PSX: Wild ARMS, Lunar
PS2: Final Fantasy XII
DS: Dragon Quest IX
PSP: a shitload of remakes and ports

any console not mentioned I found not worth mentioning

Thanks for not mentioning Xbox, Cause that is the WORST CONSOLE EVER. Cept for halo.
SNES
Toss up between -
FF2/4 & Earthbound
Can't decide. I still own both and them play(ed) them about a hundred times.

PS1
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
So unique. Never played anything like it before or since. I don't think I will.

PS2
Digital Devil Saga 2
The closest a game has ever gotten to playing with my emotions. That ending was perfect.
Pages: first prev 12 last