HELP & REQUESTS RULES AND GUIDELINES

Pages: 1
Help and Request Forum Rules

Before you post a new thread:

1) Read the help file for your associated Maker.
Seriously, you'd be surprised how many people don't do this before coming here. The answer to your question might be in here. Check first.

2) Check out this site's Engine Tutorials to see if your question is addressed there.

3) Search through THIS FORUM and see if someone has asked a similar question to yours and if their answer helps you.

The Google Rule:

Before posting any new topic, or posting a question about something in an existing topic, please read the Help File or consider Googling your question first. Many simple and straightforward questions can be answered by yourself with very little effort.

More...

Google can be found here:
http://www.google.com/

The RM2k Help File can be found here:
http://kentona.rpgmaker.net/resources/RM2K_Helpfile.zip

The RM2k3 Help File can be found here:
http://kentona.rpgmaker.net/resources/rpg2003_helpfile.zip

The Windows Vista fix for reading Help Files on Vista can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6EBCFAD9-D3F5-4365-8070-334CD175D4BB&displaylang=en

In an effort to remove clutter (and mindless, useless posts) topics in violation of this rule may be locked by the moderation team. This rule goes into effect immediately.

General Guidelines::

1) Make the title specific. Include a suitable prefix
Prefix your title with [Request], [Resource], [Music], [Script], or [Plug-in]as appropriate. It helps users identify what they are looking at. Also, titling the thread "Need some help lol" doesn't give anyone any idea what you want or need. Specify an engine (if appropriate)

2) Give as much information as possible about the problem you are having.
Vaguely worded or ambiguous questions just generate confusion. Give specific information about what you are trying to do, and what you have already tried, and what hasn't worked.

When asking for help related to software (RPG Maker, Photoshop or otherwise):

1) Firstly, make sure to GIVE US THE NAME of the software.
'RPG Maker' is not specific enough, as that consists of about a dozen pieces of software. Without knowing this, we cannot help you, so by following this step you'll get help much faster.

2) Give us a description of what you're trying to do, and list the ways you've tried to get it working/fix it.
You'll solve the problem faster. If you haven't tried fixing it on your own, I suggest doing that first so when you post here you don't look like an idiot when the solution is incredibly obvious.

3) Provide source code (when applicable).
In the case of event editing, code, or whatever, providing a screenshot or a copy+paste of that code will be helpful in getting a quicker resolution to your problem.

4) Employ proper spelling and grammar.
This one is important. You don't have to be perfect, but if your posts look like "hey gyz im newcan someone plz hellp me wit thischapset", please clean it up. This is one of the quickest ways for someone to bypass your post. If you can't be bothered to do this, don't be surprised if we can't be bothered to help you.

When requesting for someone's help:

1) Be specific in your request, and give examples where relevant.
If it's a request for a resource, give a brief description of what you're looking for and be patient. Do not rape the topic by bumping it incessantly.

2) If you're hiring for a project, you'll need to be very thorough.
Give examples of your previous work, a link to images/information on the game, and tell us why we should care. Remember, you're trying to sell the project to people - they won't help you if they are uninterested. Also specify incentives/payment for helping with the project, if you are willing to give any. I have noticed a problem with these sorts of topics - IF YOU DO NOT CONFORM TO THESE RULES, YOUR TOPIC WILL BE LOCKED.

When asking for help OR making requests:

1) Be courteous and type so people can understand you.
If you don't do this your topic will likely be locked. This forum is not an online bathroom stall.

2) Be patient.
People will respond on their own time, and making yourself look like an ass by bumping your topic will make people less likely to help out now and in the future.

3) Keep the number of questions/requests per topic reasonable.
Do not post further/unrelated questions/requests deep into a topic. Also, do not turn a help thread into a request thread, or vice-versa. Making a topic confusing when it doesn't need to be is a waste of everyone's time.

4) Thank the person(s) who helped you out, either by posting in the forum, PM/IMing them, or emailing them.
I'm not asking for great netiquette here, but I've noticed a disturbing lack of 'thank yous' in this forum. Do this and people will like you more.

5) Do not ask for OR post any links to ANY kind of illegal software (warez).
This includes RPG Maker 2000 and 2003. More then one offense will equal a ban.

When wanting to post resources::

If it is a general resource (templates, for example), look for it or post it here:
The Resource Museum
We do not have a resource database or any other official support for resources. If you are offering up custom resources or music, make a new post in this forum and prefix the title with [Resource] or [Music].

If you are requesting for someone else to help you make a project:

If you have just joined this site and do not know anyone, chances are that people are not going to respond to requests to make a project with you. Most people here are very busy with their own projects are not going to accommodate a random person they do not know. Your best chance is to network; get to know people, make friends, express interest in other peoples' projects, and provide feedback. Once people know who you are, they are much more likely to respond amiably to your requests, especially if you have done something to help them in the past.

Failure to adhere to the guidelines above will likely result in your topic being locked, and/or ignored. Please be respectful of other peoples' time and effort.

Thanks,
The RMN Staff
Final Note:

If it's obvious you have not read this and repeatedly offend the rules, you will inevitably be banned for being a dingus. And, most likely, no one will miss you.
2) If you're hiring for a project, you'll need to be very thorough.
Give examples of your previous work, a link to images/information on the game, and tell us why we should care. Remember, you're trying to sell the project to people - they won't help you if they are uninterested. Also specify incentives/payment for helping with the project, if you are willing to give any. I have noticed a problem with these sorts of topics - IF YOU DO NOT CONFORM TO THESE RULES, YOUR TOPIC WILL BE LOCKED.

Also specify incentives/payment for helping with the project

I think this needs to be stressed much more. You could actually omit lots of the other stuff listed here and people will still be willing if you, say, have straight-up compensation. You don't have to care too much that they even finish or go anywhere so long as you did the work and got the coin. Too often (on any forum) I see someone try to sell a project really well without actually selling it- money talks bullshit walks.

Likewise if someone said they wanted someone to draw X Y and Z and they'll pay W money first in a really short post, even I'd take possibly such a gig.

Don't forget to also stress that if you're looking for volunteer team members that you make this clear and ask nicely. And try to look fun! I've noticed that "could you please help me?" works much better than "you could get theoretical dollars if I sell this possibly mabey". And don't forget to remind people that Ethos is not ever on their side on the Internet.
This may be the wrong place to ask but I'm having trouble with uploading my files in my locker, everytime I try it keeps saying that there's something wrong with my connection and I have to try again
Site related questions, bugs and problems would go in Site Feedback: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/site/
Glad to see this information was consolidated into one topic. :D
post=kentona
Site related questions, bugs and problems would go in Site Feedback: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/site/

Ah thank you so much!
Ah thank you so much!

help and request topic is helpful
This rule is very helpful to me to understand and be aware! Thanks man!
is there a way to have random weather effects like it could rain one minute the snow later? anybody!!!?

Edit: also where can i find a script to set day and night effects? and a clock to keep the time??? please somebody answer these questions? it would make my games MUCH better!
These are all best asked in your own topic, gamegame. This topic is for Rule and Guideline discussion.
Also, it is preferred that you edit your posts instead of making a double post. I fixed it for you this time, but keep it in mind.
As to your questions, there are some scripts around like that. Have you checked the script section here or on RMW?
that guy needs lots of help...

I never knew this topic existed, and in retrospect I don't recall these rules/guidelines ever really being enforced or referred to when someone breaks them. mainly topics asking for others to join a project and the be patient thing heh it's mostly other users(guilty) coming in to give them shit.

maybe this should be linked more often when people post "bad" topics.
Seems like something that would benefit many games, so I was surprised to have so much difficulty finding them. Please let me know if you know where I can find something that fits the bill.

author=Liberty
These are all best asked in your own topic, gamegame. This topic is for Rule and Guideline discussion.
Also, it is preferred that you edit your posts instead of making a double post. I fixed it for you this time, but keep it in mind.
As to your questions, there are some scripts around like that. Have you checked the script section here or on RMW?

OH, haha this is exactly what that bot copied. http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/15741/?post=556419#post556419
Yeah, I got it. ;p

@fifashop: are you, perchance, gamegame on another account?
So I might sound like a total n00b with Sphere but I kinda need to know how to automap if it's possible :P
If you find the answer, please let me know
Pages: 1