WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
How big are those robots in pixels, Sana? I'm working on a game right now and debating between pixels and a hand-drawn style... I'd like to put it on phones at some point, so my resolution might be limited to pixel stuff, but my spriting ability is really really bad.

Also I ended up implementing a Dodge buff (avoid next attack completely) as well as Evolving abilities (changes to a new ability on use, for ability cycles) and Multi-hit attacks (where each attack can crit if you got fast fingers).

EDIT: Just realized that attacks should be able to multihit, evolve, and recoil all at once - duh!

EDIT EDIT: Woo, that didn't take too long!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Skill cooldowns measured in hours.

It makes sense in context.
author=slashphoenix
How big are those robots in pixels, Sana? I'm working on a game right now and debating between pixels and a hand-drawn style... I'd like to put it on phones at some point, so my resolution might be limited to pixel stuff, but my spriting ability is really really bad.
The robots alone are 19x21/22 pixels(the size varies because of the back flame), and when coupled with the shadow it's 19x40. :)
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Nice :) Have any resources or tutorials you could recommend? I've mostly been taking aimless stabs at pixel art for game jams.
finally have a name for my game! woo!
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Today I will be experimenting with weapon balance because it's hecka broken atm

author=LouisCyphre

Oooo... real-time hours? Or does your game have a ticking clock?
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
I've been outlining my game's storyline to try to get by this writer's block and to find a way to connect the future important story events together, and then removing details because the outline keeps going way too long. aaaahhhh
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Finishing up the Ouya port of The Vestibule. Most of the features are in place, just want to do a bit of polish before the consoles ship. The last major thing we need to test is controller support, since the game was designed for mouse/touch and it's awkward trying to use the Ouya's touchpad for games that were designed for point and click.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Just a treat I might add for this upcoming April Fools. :)
His overworld sprite still has clothes. It should match. I am disappoint.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
slashphoenix
Today I will be experimenting with weapon balance because it's hecka broken atm

LouisCyphre

Oooo... real-time hours? Or does your game have a ticking clock?

Each "encounter" is an hour long -- so a battle, or finding a chest, etc. It's a text adventure game.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Uploaded both Intros for Desperation Of A New Intro as Prologues. Then the main game will be playable. I already nearly finished the part 1 of the main game. Though, it's quite short. Seeing as most of the others will be parts. There are battles, bosses, etc. But they might be hard for you. You might want to level up(which just on the main map after you leave the city( before you go fight the bosses. There are two bosses, one mid, and the other main. No connection. :p You might want to stay around for the time being, by leveling up, I get my ass kicked by that boss, not the other one, it's properly hard too.
After fixing up a crapton of bugs due to having to release a patch for a game-halting bug I was unaware of because of my tileset not set properly, and then having to fix bug after bug because new updated maps weren't 100% tested yet (yes, all of those new maps I showed and whatnot had issues that I had to fix, including the very first one that got me started on the mapping revamp), I finally got my remaining Bless system stuff done (that took a week...wow). Brainstorming with myself on what to do next...it's more database stuff, that's for sure, but WHAT exactly? It'll either be adding more character battle passives and patching up what I haven't patched up yet, or adding abilities attached to specific weapons/armors, or mapping...

What do you guys honestly think I should do first? There's an awful lot to do yet before I even proceed with the story for my game, even though that hasn't progressed in the past 2 years now almost because of constantly adding new stuff in and updating and whatnot. @_@;;
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Craze
Each "encounter" is an hour long -- so a battle, or finding a chest, etc. It's a text adventure game.

awesome, also that game sounds stressful as hell

author=Xenomic
What do you guys honestly think I should do first?
I would recommend that if you've done something difficult last week, reward yourself with something fun to do (for me it was always making abilities and balancing numbers) and if you just did something fun, ride that high into making something hard.

To be completely honest though, if my game hadn't seen progress in two years I'd either scrap it or make a small mini-game just for a mental break and a change of pace.

I totally coded Consumable Items in like 2 hours today! It was a lot easier than I thought it'd be. I could re-do my Weapons code the same way but fuck that gosh darn it, I'm going to make new things. Next will be to make a few more placeholder items for kicks and maybe some new enemies and a boss?

I also have to decide if conditions (Poisons, Attack Up, etc.) should scale with your stats, if they should scale as time passes within the game, or not scale at all. Or I could make them percentage based...
Oh, it's seen plenty of progress. Not with the story or whatnot, mostly because I've been updating everything else so that I don't have to worry about it later on. I WAS working on the story a bit before Locke and Trujin and them got me remapping maps, and well...yeah. That happened! ^^;

Ain't scrapping this thing for nothing! Gonna see it through all the way, one way or another! >_<
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Part 1 of Desperation Of A New Era, in it's last phase. One more character story to do, before it ends for the next part.
So I have an attack that could deal over 1800 damage, and the first boss has 8000 HP. The attack requires 2 cooldowns, and only damage one enemy. Would this be too easy for the players to take down the boss ? :D
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Just trying to get though my game partially, to beat two bosses in a forest you go to after leaving Kand. Difficult. I'm sure that would be right thing to do.

I hate the damn BGS bug.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=Mr_Detective
So I have an attack that could deal over 1800 damage, and the first boss has 8000 HP. The attack requires 2 cooldowns, and only damage one enemy. Would this be too easy for the players to take down the boss ? :D

There's a lot of other factors involved in that, but still - you'd have to hit the boss 4 times and change to make it kill the boss which will take 8 turns at least. Is that relatively easy to do? Can you ignore the boss's abilities for that long without having to focus on defense or healing?

I wouldn't say it's overpowered right off the bat, but if it's extremely obvious that the 1800 damage attack is the best solution, it probably needs some adjustment.

EDIT: Oh, it's the first boss too. I agree with LockeZ, you can be lenient with strategy as long as it's still a fun fight.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If the game's first boss can be taken down without bothering to heal, buff, debuff, use ailments, or bother with any other tactics besides just going balls-to-the-wall with offense, I don't really think it's a problem. It's just the first boss.

It depends how often you have bosses, though. I'm assuming this is very close to the beginning of the game, and the next boss will appear pretty soon after it and will be more complex. If you only have one boss every four hours, they probably need to require most of your available tactics to take down.

If offense is interesting enough and defensive/healing skills mostly don't exist, it might still be enough anyway.