WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Working with lighting effects and battles.
Really sorry about the absolute shit quality and in-game lag.
My turd of a processor doesn't seem to mesh well with the game while the screen's being recorded.
Snazzy-lookin battle system. The quality doesn't look too bad to me, though. :o
Still having problems coming up with puzzles. And quickly losing motivation to work on the game. Again....ugh. Does anyone else here ever have problems with coming up with good puzzle ideas? I can't be the only one on this site that has that issue...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Usually I only decide make a puzzle dungeon in the first place because I have a good puzzle idea I want to use. If you don't, then maybe just don't make a puzzle dungeon. Problem solved?

If you think that makes the dungeon too boring and samey, then add some more unique battles to it instead. Add some kind of gimmick to almost all the battles in there. Come up with a combat mechanic you'd normally reserve for a boss, something that significantly changes how the player plays like regenerating enemies or interruptable countdown attacks or temporary invincibility, and then give it to several of the normal enemies.
Hm...not sure on what gimmicks per say for battles, as there aren't any random encounters and are all field encounters (and really, that's in one room total since first half is meant to be devoid of any encounters outside of set points). Big reason because the dungeon was meant to be puzzle based entirely. I might go with moving floor tiles or something for another puzzle, but that still leaves the last puzzle to deal with if I do that...>_<
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Uh, I said "normal enemies," not "random enemies"

Not that whether the enemies are encountered randomly or not has any effect whatsoever on my suggestion...
author=LockeZ
If you think that makes the dungeon too boring and samey, then add some more unique battles to it instead. Add some kind of gimmick to almost all the battles in there. Come up with a combat mechanic you'd normally reserve for a boss, something that significantly changes how the player plays like regenerating enemies or interruptable countdown attacks or temporary invincibility, and then give it to several of the normal enemies.

Now why didn't I think of that?

That kind of thing fits REALLY well, with the style of game I'm making, and I already had one or two floors/dungeons that had stuff like that.

I could expand on that and it would make things a lot more interesting. Plus, it'd give you time to prepare for the boss who would use that mechanic + others. XD
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
That is indeed an interesting way to think about it. I have recently found that if you don't have inspiration regarding a level, it probably won't turn out fantastic. Which you want it to turn out fantastic, because that's how magic is born, and if magic can't be born, developers aren't wizards. Maybe discarding all the average, and only keeping all the fantastic, will lead to a greater sum of the good, and a lesser sum of all the negative? That's a good idea by you.
Hmmm...I think I may have hit an idea for the puzzles! So, I might take what's already in Eientei and move them elsewhere, but hear me out!

So, there's 5 rooms in total, yes? Each for one of the Japanese Cardinals (Byakko, Suzaku, Seiryu, Kouryu, and Genbu). In order to progress in the dungeon, you must get all 5 keys. However, right now it's a battle room, hidden passageway room, follow the route room, etc.. My new idea is you do stuff in one room, which would then enable you to do stuff in another room, and so on and so forth until you get all 5 keys. The problem is...I haven't really thought any further than that. It seems like it's going to be really elaborate though, and I MAY need help on constructing it or getting a good starting point. But I think it's more thematical? ^^;;

EDIT - As for the enemy suggestions, that's something that I'll have to keep in mind for later. I'd love to do something like that, though I haven't really hit any good points in the game for that to apply really well. Hmm...
Working on a food buff system, here is what I am thinking of doing right now:

- Eating grants you points, you can get up to 7 points for each stat.
- Food can only be consumed outside of battles, there is a special menu showing current points.
- The first 5 points grant a 10% stat increase per point (10% for 1, 50% for 5), the last 2 points are just a buffer.
- After every battle, you loose 1 point in each stat.
- Each character has a different taste, normal food grants 3 points, food they dislike 1, food they like 5 points, food they love 7 points.

The whole system is meant as a possible easymode for normal battles and will be semi required for some optional bonus areas. (I don't have a traditional level system, so there is no way to grind for levels. There are also no random battles and fewer, harder normal battles, when compared to classical RPGs)

Any thoughts, questions, objections, or suggestions?
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
So I let the player put in a custom name..

Found out just now (months later) that I wrote a bunch of dialogue and didn't to shit with the custom name stuff.. Upside to that is that I just had to delete 1 line of an event at the very beginning :D

At any rate, I'm running back through all the other maps to see what I left myself with and then make some changes/go from there
Well, I'm more or less done mapping my village. There'll likely still be some adjustments made, but the layouts shouldn't change all that much. I'm going to start mapping the first dungeon soon. I'm thinking about something simple like having to push a rock in order to climb up on ledges, like when you have to push the lavos spawn shell in order to reach a "ladder" and scale a cliff in Chrono Trigger.
CashmereCat
author=Lihinel
- Eating grants you points, you can get up to 7 points for each stat.
- Food can only be consumed outside of battles, there is a special menu showing current points.
- The first 5 points grant a 10% stat increase per point (10% for 1, 50% for 5), the last 2 points are just a buffer.
- After every battle, you lose 1 point in each stat.
- Each character has a different taste, normal food grants 3 points, food they dislike 1, food they like 5 points, food they love 7 points.

OK cool. That sounds good. But do different foods grant different stat upgrades, or do they upgrade all stats at once? I like that after every battle you lose 1 point in every stat, it makes eating food a good strategy. However, you're probably gonna have to make it clear that eating food is a good strategy, which means that it should boost your attack power by a significant deal. If you can make it so that the player even relies on food in order to deal significant damage to defeat the enemy, that might make for interesting battle system. But if it's just something that's tacked on and is relatively meaningless in the balance of combat, it won't be that useful.
Different foods grant different stat upgrades, as a rule of thumb, the more ingredients it takes to make the food, the more stats it boosts.
The % aren't final yet, I am fully prepared to adjust the numbers based on player feedback if it should turn out that the system seems useless or overpowered.
I am planing on balancing normal enemies for a party with little to no food buffs and optional enemies for a fully buffed party.
I am going to make the ultimate RPG Maker 2003 to VX ace macro! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! My plans to destroy VX ace graphics will be disgustingly successful!

It's pretty simple, all I have to do is use a macro recorder to record me converting the graphics and then replay it!

If anyone knows a program that just converts it for you let me know. I would rather not watch the computer act like me over and over(Even though I could speed it up). I would rather have a program that is made for it.:P Or if you just know a place with a ton of converted graphics.

Edit: Also if you know a good ratio to resize it too, 2x looks kind too big.

I like the oldschool graphics.

CashmereCat
I'm making an old-school avoid game with basic graphics. It's kind of like VVVVVV or Super Meat Boy.
author=CashmereCat
I'm making an old-school avoid game with basic graphics. It's kind of like VVVVVV or Super Meat Boy.

Nice. So every map is a hand made map? What do you use to draw it with? (A mouse, I use a mouse.)

I wanted to be super original, but I always found it too time consuming and keeps me away from making the game that was on my mind.

I might do this one day. When the story is complete.
CashmereCat
author=trentinxd
author=CashmereCat
Nice. So every map is a hand made map? What do you use to draw it with? (A mouse, I use a mouse.)

I wanted to be super original, but I always found it too time consuming and keeps me away from making the game that was on my mind.

I might do this one day. When the story is complete.

The tileset is handmade, but I re-use tiles a lot. I use 8-bit style because it's easier to make tiles that look passable.
http://rpgmaker.net/games/5796/
Just finished up my first demo.
Captain Smith. Custom sprites. I've decided to make my own character set. :P This is what I put on top the template.