WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

I edited chipset to make an outer ancient palace complex, whole vid is a single chipset

Oh mans! Now at 74 animations to go! Wooooo!!! Reusing animations does help a lot, and dummying out some does too! After I'm done with these I'll...probably take a break. No seriously, this is taking a lot longer than I thought, and this is just to make the game look prettier for the most part (not including some animations that may or may not need them. I may need people to point them out whenever I redo the Exhibition videos later or whatever).

To-Do still!

*4 more dungeons for beta5 (one dungeon still needs the switch puzzle done as well)! Or somewhere around there
*Eventing for all of the beta5 dungeons
*Monsters for said dungeons
*Testing for said dungeons

And then I'm hoooome freeeeee! Well, from beta5 anyways, still got beta6, 7, and 8 to deal with (though 8 is just sidequest stuff soooo yeah! Less important than the main game stuff!). I may need to retweak bosses though, and I'd like to get some help from people with brainstorming that bit. A lot of them (some enemies included) are really really bland and straightforward, and I'd like the game to be a lot more about paying attention to what is going on and whatnot (it's supposed to be a challenging game after all, but not super ultra difficult like say...Defiant of Shrine Maiden. Maybe around Genius of Sappheiros/Devil of Decline difficulty, but still not as brutal as them). @_@;
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Xenomic
A lot of them (some enemies included) are really really bland and straightforward, and I'd like the game to be a lot more about paying attention to what is going on and whatnot (it's supposed to be a challenging game after all, but not super ultra difficult like say...Defiant of Shrine Maiden. Maybe around Genius of Sappheiros/Devil of Decline difficulty, but still not as brutal as them). @_@;
I've been doing a lot of boss work these past days, so i can give you some ideas. Stacking buffs is one, or, the same state that grants say +100% to it's damage stat per turn, making them a boss you have to burst down.

Then, a group boss, which is like, 3 or 4 mobs in a troop, and you have to kill them all in the same turn or they respawn with half health.

I am assuming for all intents and purposes you're using VX Ace and a turn based battle system of some sort.

As for me, I've done a LOT in the last two days. Reflex and Chance (agi and lul) have been made the primary stat for Sylph and Paladin respectively, and all of their attacks are now based off of it.

Regular attacks (Skill ID 1) now is weaker, but incorporates all four stats, (atk, mat, agi, luk) as *1 (25% worth) against def and mdf *2 (50% Worth), this is incredibly balanced, and makes using skills even more attractive.

All Sylph and Paladin skills were retuned to use their appropriate stat group as a modifier.

Any enemies who used said abilities were given a monster only version which was dependant on either atk or mat.

Each class now gets 5 of their preferred stat per level up, all of them still are even because now Sylph has no interest mat and paladin has no interest in atk, so it's been change from 5 of that per level to 1, the rest was unchanged.

Been testing, and higher end enemies have all received health and damage upgrades.

What I'm doing currently is making maps that were needlessly big smaller and more cozy, I'll have screenshots of this up later in the other thread.
I am actually using 2k3 actually. Didn't really like all the programming stuff back when VX came out (or on XP), so I stuck with 2k3 (and ain't gonna change programs when I'm this far into the game). And there's a looooooooot of bosses in this game. There's just a lot that happens overall in such a short amount of time really. @_@;

That sounds like a crapton of stuff you've been working on though. Holy crap, makes what I've been doing seem like nothing (even though it's still a lot on my end too) o_O;
So, I decided to just dummy out a good 25 abilities (leaving me with like 49 some abilities left to do animations for, but I'll probably do animations for the other 25 if I can), but still may just dummy out a lot of abilities regardless. For now, I'm taking a break from my game. I'm deciding if I should start working on eventing next (which is going to be a looooooot of eventing...oh dear lord is there going to be a lot) or if I should finish up the last 4 maps. What do you guys think would be the better one to work on? @_@;
I've been working on trees. Fully replaced one variety with the Seiken Densetsu 3 default tree, edited two others into the SD3 style. I'm not done tweaking, but I think they look mostly okay.

OLD TREES

NEW TREES

I'M TOO HYPE ON THIS FOR MY OWN GOOD so here let me throw the sprites i'm working on at you folks

i don't have enough graphical evidence of progress to re-open any game pages, but HEY LOOK AT THIS my projects aren't dead and these are the WIP sprites to prove it.

EDIT: SHE BOUNCES
Haha, awesome stuff emmy. XD Glad to see your projects are still kicking.

A WIP for the MOG graphics event.

They're kicking AND screaming, even. OTL
I've been doing so much behind the scenes work and I'm getting all hyped up to share it BUT... THERE'S REALLY NOTHING TOOOOOO SHARE AS IS... most of it is writing and databasing, and that's not exactly exciting to look at. ALAS... perhaps in another 10 years. (Hopefully in the next few months actually but who knows it could literally be 10 years IDK)

And oooh, I guess you have free time now that Enelysion's all wrapped up, eh? Lookin' good! nwn
BizarreMonkey
Man, perfect time for you fellas to start showing your progress on pixel art, I myself recently did some!

I was inspired only a little (I swear!) by Oddworld when I did this. I also did some doors since the ones i had were too short for them Galaxion fellas.

Also Yuna, I love those clouds, the style reminds me of Xargon, which is a fond childhood memory.

@emmych: I can't wait until i get that good at animating pixel art! I can do it, but it is forced to look like shit. :3

Other than that, I've been updating Galaxia and opening it up as a world more. The Galaxion Passenger Convoy above will serve as a means of getting from one city to another in good time.

I also updated the appears of goos from flat-looking circles to cel-shaded characters.
What they used to look like:

What they now look like:

@BM: HA HA with a little practice you, too, can learn the art of sliding pixels around, because that is lit all I did. It's a four frame animation, and most of the movement is shifting things by single pixels. >w>

Here, I finished three more sprites and gave a little tlc to the others.

EDIT: THIS IS IT FOR TONIGHT PHEW

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Reviving one of my old abandoned games, Flower Bubble Game!!!, for the Halloween contest.

Step one is to finish redoing the main map, a process that I quit halfway through last time I tried to revive this game (which was probably almost two years ago). Some areas are looking good!

Some areas... still need work.

The unpleasant side-effects of changing the tileset of a 300x260 map. Sigh.
author=emmych
EDIT: SHE BOUNCES

Looks like she's calling somebody a wanker! (Nice work!)
author=nurvuss
Looks like she's calling somebody a wanker! (Nice work!)
I'M LAUGHIN' BECAUSE THAT IS BASICALLY HER CHARACTER IN A NUTSHELL.
...I have a lot of feelings about her but I won't leak them all over here. I-I GUESS more reason to actually get the game page back up so I can... ramble... about shitty villain characters......... OTL

But anyway. HEEHEE thanks~ >w>
BizarreMonkey
@LockeZ: Sorry for ignoring you, my heads all over the place!

That game looks ugh... bright! I mean, even for a guy like me that's luminescent! Also, I will now look into this halloween contest. I would like to win some contests, or laugh at myself when i fail trying!

I love contests!

Ahahaha, thanks Emmych, also I agree with Nurvuss, I can just see her handing out sass to people like all they've known for yours is bitter sass famine.

My composer has been going nuts with the soundtrack, 5 of the 8 sync tracks are now done. As for me? Well I've been reogranizing the troops and enemies in the database, making way for optional bosses, and duplicating blu prints, then renaming them simply so I know 'okay this optional boss is called such', Sorting everything into tiers has been a thoroughly fun... if laborious exercise. I've also begun on two different arcs for entering optional content.

Just to show you an unfinished glimpse...

Everything 61 upwards is going to be filled out. I have multiple new enemies types I'm also working on, some of which the art is done for...

In spoipers tho because words. :o

Abominations:

Upon death, most mortals will lose flesh once they enter the Necropolis, and become the Skeleto, or Skeletopians... as their body withers and dies, their organic matter is collected by Necromancers, and from ones unwanted trash comes a new even more unwanted treasure, Abominations, clumsy, dim-witted albeit burly fellows, who are at the frontline of the necropolis defense. They are easily manipulated, and act as more of a drone rather than their own being.

Praisers:

Typically minions conjured from Glass, some receive too much of their suns power, becoming either incredibly destructive or incredibly attached to their sun. The two known variants are a pink sun variety, which just love praising the sun. Then Heldath has a much more destructive variant, who want to have the suns attention to themselves.

Arcane Crucifix:

Themed after their respective afterlives, they are typically assigned as personal assistants for the higher ups, such as Esperia, Naxon, Esophagor, Malphael, Benediction et cetera.

Apparitions:

Mysterious spectres, possibly of a Gaseon origin... who speak no words and seem only to serve the purpose of automaton destruction.
COMBAT BALANCING.

This is a nightmare. In my game, I noticed that magic is about 1,000x better in almost every instance than manually attacking. I didn't want magic to be that much more powerful than manually attacking (especially for my battle mage-type characters), so I made the weapons add more attack points.

Now the battles are too easy, so I have to make every enemy more powerful. The stats on enemies are getting ridiculously high. For example, one mid-game boss has an intelligence stat of 999, the highest possible in rm2k3. I don't like this.

I'm seriously considering rebalancing every character just to make the numbers more manageable, and make the battles easier to balance overall. I might make the main characters start with stats as low as 10, the way games such as Earthbound do (and like most rpg maker 2000 games tend to do).

I'm basically just ranting, but I seriously hate balancing battles. I'd pay someone to do it if I could.

Another thing is the EXP points. I find it so hard to select a good number of EXP points for enemies to give out. I feel that I either make the number too high and my characters level too fast, or it's too low.

Any tips with balancing battles? Should I just completely restart?
I like to do the "what level should people be by the time they hit X boss" and go from there! Balance according to the ideal level, but make sure the boss is still beatable if you're 2-3 levels under that. Then, for encounters, make sure they dish out enough EXP for you to hit that ideal level by the time you make it to the boss (if the player fights every encounter), and if you wanted to get higher, you'd HAVE to grind.

Whether the ideal level is "this is hard" or "oh man this is super easy" is up to the dev! Depends on if you're making a game that likes you or one that hates every fibre of the player's being.

This will DEFINITELY require a lot of runs of a dungeon, which can get SUPER tedious, and is definitely easier if you have external feedback... especially from rpg newbs. Find as many playtesters that are clueless and don't know how rpgs work as you can, since they will provide the best feedback. Seriously. IB

Basically it's "futz until you get it" which is... hhnnngghghhh but really that is the only way. OTL
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
author=emmych
This will DEFINITELY require a lot of runs of a dungeon, which can get SUPER tedious, and is definitely easier if you have external feedback... especially from rpg newbs. Find as many playtesters that are clueless and don't know how rpgs work as you can, since they will provide the best feedback. Seriously. IB

Basically it's "futz until you get it" which is... hhnnngghghhh but really that is the only way. OTL

This! Seconded!! Feedback from others is really important for balance stuff! For a while I made my levels just hard enough so that I could only just beat them, but I forgot that that meant it would be super hard for everyone else who hadn't been playtesting the game every day... and then they all said it was really really hard ;__;
Sooooo I logged onto my computer and had a really shocking realization that part of me really didn't think would happen;

I haven't touched Ace in ages. Holy crap.

I last left off working on a plot outline for Treasality and eventing the first major area, and it's just... weird that I didn't get nearly as much done as I thought I did months ago. Thankfully I managed to remember where I left off after some deep thinking, but I was really worried that I'd jump in and accidentally do work without keeping the context of the previous scenes I did in mind. Since the game is fairly strongly plot-driven, I want to make sure it's as coherent as possible.

This is becoming painful. >< My right arm is seizing up already.