WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Making a Green/Yellow/Red list for Lily this week!
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
I'm working on getting a friend to post his games here!
Oh, and my SMBX game sequel.
Thanks Addit. I tried to make them varied from one another so that they're unique. Sure, it's not super unique like some of the boss ideas that I have in the game and/or me and Locke have come up with, which I feel like sharing because maybe people will like the ideas or have other ideas!

*For Louise, give her the gimmick of phasing in and out of damage (when phasing out of damage, summon 2 spirit flames). Defeating the flames will make Louise targettable again, but Louise can absorb the spirits as well to regain 10% Max HP. After absorbing X spirits, she'll change into her second form, which has a different, more powerful moveset but without summoning the spirit flames. After X turns, reverts back to normal phase.

*For Spirit Magic Stone, have it have a Regen skill that stacks Regen levels, and the higher the Regen level, the more HP it restores. Will need to run a variable each time the skill is used to check the Regen level, and then run a Conditional Branch to give the Stone the proper Regen level. Can be dispelled. Have enemies in the dungeon use a similar gimmick. Fought at Hollowed Caverns - Dimensional Rift.

*For PC-98 Marisa, have PC-98 Marisa be able to steal abilities from Marisa, which will temporarily remove that ability from Marisa until Marisa either steals it back or ends the fight. Marisa's Steal command will temporarily allow Marisa to steal PC-98 Marisa's skills as well for use only in that fight.

*For Mystic Magic Stone, uses powerful Mystic-elemental attacks, but has low MP and has to either recharge its MP or drain MP from the party.

*For Nature Magic Stone, give it Growth which increases all stats by 20 and that is AoE. If it takes any form of damage, all of its allies including itself will regain X% of the damage it takes. Every time the stone uses Growth, the amount of HP regained increases by 5%, starting at 20% of the damage taken, up to a maximum of 80% of the damage taken. Fought at Valley of Corpses - Dimensional Rift.

*For Fire Magic Stone, have it use abilities which sacrifices its own HP to deal fixed damage or % damage to the entire party.

*For Water Magic Stone, give it Vortex. Make it vulnerable to statuses that don't prevent it from acting and Silence.

*For Phantom Mima, cannot be damage, but if all Magic Stones are defeated, is also defeated.

*For Yuugenmagan at Valley of Corpses, make it use lots of status attacks.

*For Kotohime, will have to stop to recharge and summons flower or plant enemies to distract the party while doing so.

So yeah...this is something I've been working on recently aside from mapping: Boss ideas! Note, the Magic Stones you will fight one at a time, though later on you fight all five at once with the Phantom Mima. I will be trying to do a Magus/Hein type boss as well...trying to get the unique ideas flowing for the bosses for beta5 onwards! Not easy though, I tell you. x_x;;
Working my way through the Four Gods dungeon. I redid the game so only the dark floors have darkness battles regardless of tilesets, so now I'm testing through it (and it's harder than I remember). Worked on raising the encounter to something reasonable, and made a high encounter zone.

I also added two new items, Lucky Dice (cures Luckless) and Welcome Home (cures Yomi/isolation). Both of which are really nasty status effects (the first prevents tents and saving, and the second not only silences everyone's attacks, but wipes out 100% of mp every round and does the same for every step on the map).
I've also been working on fixing a few minor glitches, or designs that I simply didn't like. On the glitch end, I found that one of my common events doubled teleport/escape for certain characters. And as for design, I have an item that's basically look but don't touch (it's called the Final Sword, because you get it as an award for beating the last boss in the game, so the description is "Sword that will never, ever, get to use"). I made it so if you try to equip it on the one screen you could use it, it auto-reequips in favor of some other equip.

I also just made a villain gameover.
Currently working very, very hard on my game.

I'm up to the 14th mission right now, and have finished several story portions of towns. I've done MANY script edits and made tons of bug fixes so there should be no significant outlandish experiences.

I'm currently debating whether or not to work on optional missions for this demo; I'd love to just for some more content for the player, but that'd probably bump production up another week. Oh well.
Got some more work done on my sprites, and with these three I'm halfway done with the main cast~

It sure takes awhile to get even one frame of these done, but damn am I pleased with how they're turning out! Aside from spriting though, I'm taking the time to brush up on some tutorials involving variables..since they're my weakest link atm~ :3
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
So, it kinda bugged me that I did battle songs, and then they wouldn't match at all with the other enemies in the area. So, I redid this (I've yet to test it though) so it plays different songs if you're in different terrain.

Cool, it works! Graveyard played graveyard stock music, cutscenes played unique music, and plains played plains music.
Still working on my rogue inspired JRPG

* Its about scripts and not about graphics (I know the map looks awful)
* endless repeating gameplay via endless randomly generated levels
* randomized enemies that come in randomized variants + touch encounters (not shown on screen)
* Mini Map can be toggled on and off
* Amount of floor variation varies depending on dungeon level and type
* The forest overlay can be toggled and varies depending on dungeon
* yes, the game is in fact called "GrindQuest"

(im new to rpgmaker vx ace - keep that in mind before screaming at the screenshot)

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
@Malagar: The trees are missing their corner graphics, and the minimap looks very weird positioned in the center. I'd place it near the upper or lower corners. You honestly don't need to have the title of your game in your HUD at all. People should be well aware of what they are playing from the moment they leave the title screen...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
- those tree trunks should really be two tiles tall
- if you fill in the entire treetop area with those treetop autotiles with the leafy border, it will look correct
- the minimap is right in the middle of the screen where the player definitely needs to be able to see, because that's where the hero is 90% of the time. move it to one of the corners (upper right or upper left corner are the traditional spots)
- please tell me you added the GrindQuest logo to the screenshot after you took it, and that logo doesn't actually appear on the screen during the game at all times?
- either way you don't need the logo
- rather than giving you a bunch of tutorials, I'm going to actually just suggest you browse through our games for a highly rated RPG Maker VX or RPG Maker VX Ace game that looks like it uses the default graphics. They all have screenshots so you should be able to tell which ones have the same graphics you're using. There are a lot of them, and I'm sure you can find one that has a type of gameplay/store you like. If you pay attention while playing it you will learn a lot about what the engine is capable of. You can see how other people put together maps and use the tiles. Legionwood, Wine & Roses, and Garden are some of our featured games that use the same tilesets you're using, any of them would be great examples!
@Ratty @LockeZ Yes, the logo was added afterwards

Regarding the corners, tile placement and the map in general:

this is a roguelike. the map is generated randomly during runtime. I hope that sheds some light on the issues. Whenever you enter a map, the map data is filled with tile information on the fly - generating a random maze consisting of rooms and interconnected passages.

It automatically scales with the size of the map and is able to use any tileset that features auto-tiles. but the algo is fixed to 2-tile walls and has problems placing corner tiles. Im working on it - but its not that easy.

again: there is not a single "mapped" map in this game. its all random - thats why it looks this way.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Har, yeah, I was hoping the logo was added just for the screenshot. You still probably shouldn't add it to a screenshot like that though, it just covers the screenshot up. If anything maybe add some small white text at the top or bottom edge with the name of the game?

Being a roguelike explains why it's sort of boring looking, but doesn't explain any of the problems I actually brought up. I didn't actually care that it was sort of boring looking because I was more interested in the technical problems.

Worry about visual appeal later! Worry about functionality for now. But graphical functionality is part of functionality. Even if they're shitty maps, they should at least be able to use the tiles correctly.

The most important thing, I think, is that if your automapper is incapable of using autotiles correctly, I would recommend having it not use autotiles at all. Find a ceiling tile that looks good when tiled as a single tile, or get the code to correctly use autotiles.
@LockeZ Thanks for your feedback!

Okay, little update before going to work. moved the minimap and switched to a tileset that looks a bit less awkward when placed randomly.

more later!

LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
That looks a great deal better!

There's a block autotile for treetops that wouldn't experience corner issues.
Currently developing a procedurally-generated hexcrawl-type rpg. Finally found the cause of what was hopefully the last bug in my elevation-and-biome code.

Now moving on to river and vegetation placement.
This room was one hell of programming work. Every single corner is full of events with 3+ pages.

Here are 2 Screenshots:
canalization unwatered:

and watered:

Still, there are like 10 more Panoramas for the water animation and the animation when water is flooding / draining. Here is a video where you can see how much work was put into this room:

www.stefanbilly.com/data/kanal_rpg2k3_sb.wmv

BTW - yes, that is right, you see how my hero is using a human corpse as a bridge.
@White_Rabbit: Grossartig! Und noch ein Deutscher auf der Seite, gut zu wissen. Herzliche Gruesse!

(Great work. And another german here on this site, good to see - greetings).

PS: A little update from my side. I will start a game page soon and stop spamming this thread (sorry to anyone who got that impression)

* Hunger/Thirst System added (like in the old old old RPGs!)
* First bunch of trap types implemented (still have to work on the graphic)
* Added a tiny HUD to the screen (top to bottom: HP, MP, hunger, thirst)

Dankeschön! Allerdings bin ich Österreicher :D

So, finally fixed the item menu. That means, 3 more to go.

There is a video of how the interface works, as it's animated a bit too.
Also a video of the hardcore codes.

www.stefanbilly.com/data/hb2itemmenu.wmv
www.stefanbilly.com/data/hb2itemprogram.wmv

Sidenotes:
- Please don't bother with the item names
- I know about the text plugin, but I didn't want to mix 2 text styles (it's too much work to copy the font the way it's compressed ingame)
- The Facesets are portraits of my friends, they're drawn after portraits, but the size of the pictures makes them look like photographs again.
I... reopened RPG Maker VX Ace and decided to get a game done on it, namely Altima Xtreme. I'm using a fixed version of this JSON parser (fixed to allow EOL/whitespace and parsing floating values instead of just integers) to store extra data instead of trying to cram it into noteboxes and writing a regex to match every little bit of extra data I need. So far I put in character base stats and per level growth and class localization data. One of my goals is to avoid hard coded user visible strings and instead pull what string to show based on a language setting from an external file. Using a tool to spell and grammar check my awful writing would be a lot easier this way plus I consider it good practice even when I'm not going to translate it or anything (except maybe with Translation Party Equilibrium for shits and giggles).

I got the JSON parser to work with UTF-8 files too, just open the file stream with UTF-8 encoding enabled ("r:utf-8" iirc in the File.open method) and skip a special character at the start of the file that isn't part of the json. Ruby 1.9 that Ace uses thankfully has much better support for characters and different encoding methods than previous versions seeing strings as arrays of characters instead of strings of bytes that represent characters and thank god for that.