WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Finally figured out how to make multishots in SaS abs, now I can continue working on the first project I envisioned when I bought VX: The binding of Touhou (name very much subject to change...)

OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=Kyoui
Finally figured out how to make multishots in SaS abs, now I can continue working on the first project I envisioned when I bought VX: The binding of Touhou (name very much subject to change...)

Looks very nice Kyoui! I didn't know you were making another game, it looks very interesting!
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
If touhou looked like that even I would probably get into it. Does it have the original story line?
So I decided. Instead of doing the whole pillar gimmick thing from Tales of Symphonia, I'm going to do something else that many other people will probably love. Have you played Valkyrie Profile? Yes?? Ok, next question. Do you...remember the ARIANROD LABYRINTH? No? Well, short story is it's a math dungeon thing. And a very, very confusing math dungeon thing. I'm thinking of doing this mostly because the mansion WAS in a pocket dimension before, and it IS Mima's place and Mima IS a big troll so she'd probably leave something like this behind.

So yeah, that's what I think I'll do. That also means that I have to figure out how to set up the combinations and whatnot WITHOUT ripping off Valkyrie Profile entirely. If you don't know what I'm talking about with the dungeon, take a look at a video of it on YT. The main goal I think is to get 21?? Or...I don't remember what the main goal is, it's a really complicated set of solutions you have to do to get to the exit. However, since the main goal of Reimaden is to STILL open the first door in the main hallway, that means that the way to OPEN said door will be through this puzzle area.

So yeah! Better idea than the pillar thing? It's more complex than it, that's for sure, but it also allows me to do other things with the dungeon overall (though it'll still probably use a lot of the same tileset and whatnot...). Anyone know what would be the best way of handling said gimmick, if it's used?
author=OzzyTheOne
Looks very nice Kyoui! I didn't know you were making another game, it looks very interesting!

Thanks man, well i'm also working on another more traditional rpg. But both works are pretty early in developement.

author=Frogge
If touhou looked like that even I would probably get into it. Does it have the original story line?

It'll probably have the original storyline but i'm not 100% sure on that yet. I was planning to make a seperate campaign for every game from the original series from 6 to 11.
The idea is to have a campaign consist of 30 randomly generated floor (consisting of 26 rooms) with a boss battle every 5 floors. But i'll have to see if that's actually possible first ^^
Sheesh, Planning out sliding ice puzzles is HARD. 0_o

Moreso, designing a dungeon around them...I think I should just make a dungeon format and then graft the puzzles into that. ...Yeah, that's probably for the best. I don't want the puzzle to get so huge that memorizing where to slide becomes tedious.
What exactly are you trying to do with said ice puzzle? Do you know what you want to do or how to go about doing it?
People hate sliding ice puzzles.

Even more, people hate sliding tile puzzles. Never put a sliding tile puzzle in a game, ever.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
people hate everything. never bother making anything, ever.
author=Xenomic
What exactly are you trying to do with said ice puzzle? Do you know what you want to do or how to go about doing it?

There are just a lot of angles to consider.

What is the intended solution?
Are there multiple solutions?
Is the player able to practically bypass the puzzle if they enter the slidey puzzle from a certain angle?
Can the player get TRAPPED eternally in the puzzle? What's the best way to prevent them from being trapped?

That kind of thing. I'm sure I can make some good ones, it's just a new challenge for me, like how the Mimic-motion puzzles were a curveball for me to design for the previous dungeon.

Essentially, I want the player to have to do a bunch to get to various places in the dungeon to either get to chests, or to find "switches/thingies" to make the boss more doable.

author=SgtMettool
People hate sliding ice puzzles.

Fun fact, I used to LOATHE them as a kid. Got stuck on that Ice Path dungeon in Pokemon Gold as a kid for like 3 weeks.

Now that I'm more spacially aware, I actually don't mind them at all. The Golden Sun games had some pretty clever ones that I thoroughly enjoyed, in fact!

In any case, I won't make them excessively hard. Part of the design of the game is that each floor has a neat gimmick, but you only need a basic knowledge of them to get to the boss. If you're good at the gimmick, then you can get some more good loot and get some kind of advantage against the boss. If you're REALLY really good, you can get all the loot.

The overall gimmick for the 4th dungeon is the ice slide puzzles, and the fact that there are 4 "switches/thingies" you need to find. Each one makes the boss a little bit weaker. THEORETICALLY you can fight the boss right from the word go, although it'll be nearly impossible, and the boss should be very hard, but manageable at 2 switches hit.

So as long as I make two of the switches not too unreasonable to get to, the ice slide puzzles should be no big deal, even if the one to unlock a new "special weapon" is just plain mean. (For example The 3rd dungeon has a single mandatory Mimic puzzle, aside from the one that acts as "training". All the other ones are optional. The boss isn't that bad even if you don't master them and get the advantage)

By the way, what the heck is a Sliding Tile puzzle? Are we talking like Giovanni's base in Celadon City, kind of sliding puzzle?
author=ESBY
people hate everything. never bother making anything, ever.

Yeah, but you know what they hate MORE than everything?

NOTHING. If you give them nothing, they're even more upset.

So you HAVE to make something, or the hate is even worse!

It's a Morton's Fork, my friend. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. XD
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Yeah, what's wrong with ice sliding puzzles? As long as you don't overdo it, I'd say they're fine. Just make sure they don't take forever to complete.
And you can always try to add some kind of twist to make them more interesting. I once created an ice sliding puzzle for Luxaren Allure where you simultaneously control two characters. I thought that turned out pretty well.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I liked them in Sunken spire. It was my favorite part of the game (and the dragon lady). You should base them on memorization rather than punishment (Sated's suggestion), so the player feels clever when s/he figures everything out.
Snippets of story can be a better reward than making the boss weaker. Combining both ought to conclude in perfection.
Since I am currently in the unfortunate position of having a craptastic laptop as my only working device I've limited myself to only drawing character portraits to use in future projects until we've moved and I get a high end PC. Some of my working assets got lost when my old laptop decided to die on me, so I kind of gave up on my old projects for the time being. (Aside from The Haunted World, which I'll re-make completely aside from the art assets, which I still have, anyway.)

These two are for a horror game that I shall be able to start working on properly in the near future. Katsu is obviously still a huge WiP. Both of them still lack their alternate expressions, too. There's also a WiP of one of the CG's featuring Nin.

OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
@Schwer-von-Begriff
I really like that art style, it's very nice! Also, I like your user name, although I hope it's not a description of how you are. >_>
author=OzzyTheOne
@Schwer-von-Begriff
I really like that art style, it's very nice! Also, I like your user name, although I hope it's not a description of how you are. >_>

Thank you very much! Unfortunately, it does describe myself sometimes quite well. I'm always one to make fun of my own shortcomings (my height also being one of them, excuse the horrible joke), so it is a quite fitting name, haha. =D
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=Schwer-von-Begriff
author=OzzyTheOne
@Schwer-von-Begriff
Thank you very much! Unfortunately, it does describe myself sometimes quite well. I'm always one to make fun of my own shortcomings (my height also being one of them, excuse the horrible joke), so it is a quite fitting name, haha. =D

I absolutely don't mind the joke, I like that kind of comedy. Anyways, it's nice to find a german speaking RMN user.

Hab nen schönen Tag!
(Have a nice day!