WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

;_; I got a brilliant idea recently. So I'm now typing up ideas for a short survival-combat RPG where you pick your party members in a quest to slay a dragon, dealing with limited resources and possibly randomized bosses and enemies for variety.

I don't have time or energy for this, and yet here I am making yet another .txt GDD for a game I'll likely never make. XD

(PS: Send halp hot chocolate LOTS of hot chocolate Just plain more time in my day ;_;)
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Well, I just read up a little on medieval castle design for my Halloween game, and I'm genuinely surprised. A lot of the design choices I took are similar to real life castle design. Which is good I think, it will help the more castle savvy players to immerse themselves more, I guess.

Currently making sure all doors and entrances work accordingly. Building the door access in such a way that the player has a general sense of direction of where to go is something I do for the first time really. I now appreciate this aspect of old school survival horror games more.
author=SgtMettool
Try using the default battle system first and see if that works for what you need.

I can't use the default even if I wanted too. I have a Custom Menu System which can't really coexist with the DBS. If I ditch CMS then I might as well start over from scratch.
Debating on what to do with these bosses. On one hand, I have the final boss of this dungeon's skillset set up. I just haven't implemented it. On the other hand, I have another boss, first fought solo with a specific character and then later with a forced party, that has nothing yet.

Well, let's start with the boss that's already got stuff set up:

Shinki:

Void Slice: Inflicts non-elemental physical damage to one party member that inflicts Disable.
Fortuna: For the next 50 turns, there is a 50% chance of Shinki restoring 50% of the damage she takes.
Ether Blaze: Reduces the party's MP to 0 and inflicts damage to the party's HP equal to the amount of MP lost.
Fatal Illusion: Summons 7 invisible enemies and Shinki becomes invulnerable. If the wrong invisible enemy is hit, the party will take 500 damage. Hitting the right one will dispel the effect of this ability. If 3 wrong ones are hit, it will randomize which one is the correct one.
"Missing Sanctuary": Grants NulPhysical/NulMagic: 20 turns, Omni Resist Up: 20 turns, and restores 5000 HP. Requires 1 Bomb Charge to use.
"Last Crisis": Sets the party's HP to 1 and MP to 0. Requires 2 Bomb Charges to use.
"Armageddon Memory": Inflicts 5000 Mystic-elemental damage to the party. 80% accuracy. Requires 3 Bomb Charges to use.

This is with a forced party (all final fights in this dungeon are with specific parties. The game even warns the player before entering the boss area to equip everyone and make sure they're up to snuff), so making sure that it's balanced is the hard part. "Armageddon Memory" is basically the instant kill move and is meant to be used if the fight drags on TOO long. "Last Crisis" I feel isn't THAT scary, nothing a Potion Berry or two (1000 HP recovery to the party) can't fix, as well as a couple Oni Wine (100 MP recovery to the party). I'm wondering if "Missing Sanctuary" might be too much though as a level 1 Limit Break?

The ones that I'm wondering is too much though is Ether Blaze and Fatal Illusion. The thing that people have asked me about Fatal Illusion is what happens if the player uses an AoE to hit everything? The plan is that the wrong choices would happen first BEFORE the right one (so that means all the 500 damage first, then the correct one), meaning...3000 damage to the party before the right one is found, meaning the party is probably dead. However, I'm not sure on how I would code such a thing yet, or if it's doable in 2k3. Ether Blaze I'm only worried about due to how powerful it is. Or is the entire skillset too much? It feels very final boss-esque even though this isn't the final boss (she's supposed to be REALLY powerful though so...).

With that out of the way, Yumeko is the one that I'm struggling with. She's known for...throwing lots and lots of swords and teleporting around in the canon games. Not much else on her abilities, so I'm kinda left with that. I'm thinking of having her just throwing various specific weapons from the FF series or something, with an ability that lets her avoid all damage for X turns thrown in somewhere. She is vulnerable to Paralysis, Stop, and Slow, all of which the solo character (Sakuya) can use, and Sakuya's also included in the 2nd fight with her (alongside Remilia who doesn't have any status attacks IIRC, and Momiji, who can also inflict Paralysis with Cross Slash). Thinking of beefing her up potentially for that fight due to there being 3 characters instead of 1. Not sure yet. Any ideas??
i tried to make some kind of particle-overlay which can be used on every map without to much trouble. came up with something where only one event per map needs to be copied without further changes. and it looks kinda nice i think :)

Oh my, that IS pretty nice! : o
ESBY
extreme disappointment
yeah, that's really cool. would you mind explaining how it's done?

i'm working on trying to get the layout finished and trying to work out the right level of detail for the first explorable area of my game, a ruined settlement at the foot of a glen leading up into the mountains

nothing too complicated. a bunch of pictures with random positions set relatively to an event in the the upper left corner so they can move along with the map. triggered randomly through common events. three different poctures with different particle sizes, also triggered randomly.
author=marian
i tried to make some kind of particle-overlay which can be used on every map without to much trouble. came up with something where only one event per map needs to be copied without further changes. and it looks kinda nice i think :)

Does the performance hold up alright?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Trying to redo the introductory tutorial segment of my twenty year old Squaresoft MUD. It's been redone five or six times in the past but it's still boring as hell. I think I'm going to have Cecil bust in about 25% of the way through, decide that you've learned enough, and draft you into an invasion of Mysidia.
author=marian

Wow. Pretty sparkles. That looks really really nice!

-

Midterm rush is over for now, making a few tweaks to an already completed game (Heresies of Discord) so the translator guy (turns out he's a student who wants to translate it for a school project) can get to work on it.

On that note, I think I'm going to update all of my games to make Sprint a toggle. Once you start using that, it's hard to go back. :P
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, other than Wild ARMs where there are a handful of puzzles where you need to walk, I can't think of any game where moving slower has been useful. And I've never seen an RPG Maker game with that level of puzzles. The only time walking is interesting in a puzzle is when there's a bunch of other platforming and timing stuff to deal with at the same time, and nobody wants to do that in RPG Maker because it's not designed for 3D maps.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
in Visions & Voices the touch encounters could "see" you an extra tile away if you were running :<

...in my other games i just up the default though yeah
no perfomance issues since this are just four parallel processes :)
Well, managed to get all of the eventing done for Yumeko and Shinki. All that remains is to figure out how to handle the "Son of Suns" roulette gimmick. Is there a nice way of determining which enemy will be the randomized enemy to be hit that'll dispel the effect, since if the wrong one is hit 3 times, it'll randomize which one is the new right one? Is there a nice way to determine, if the player foolishly uses an AoE, how to do the 500 damage for each wrong one and then the dispel effect (if they somehow manage to live through the 2500 damage)?
author=Sated
^ unless there is a reason not to sprint in your game, there shouldn't need to be a toggle.

Eh, I occasionally find it helpful to walk.

But not so much that it should be the default. Hence making it a toggle instead of a stupid "hold shift to run" thing. That way the player only has to click it once to sprint forever (unless they decide they need to walk for something)
<3 Chilly-Pheese-Steak's work.

I am adding new monster into my project every week, if I will keep this pace there will be a bunch of new enemies at the end of the year.

AceOfAces
Engineering to infinity!
UI tweaking.