WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Given that school is kicking my ass (game design course that requires a lot of time and effort to re-learn and delve into Unity's code syntax, AND a difficult math course that needs way too much practice)...

All I've really been doing is making vague skeletons of maps for my stealth RPG, and writing snippets of dialogue when I get a nifty idea. :s
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D

Today I decided to learn animations. These are two different ideas for a slash effect for a basic attack. I like the quickness and simplicity of the first one, but I want to try and make a stronger feeling of impact with a brief windup and a single frame strike like what you see in the second one.

I've never done this before, so any feedback would be appreciated.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
That looks pretty great, Red! It's obviously still in a development phase, but the one issue I can see is that after the moment of the impact, both animations seems to linger on the screen for just a bit too long. The second animation also feels a bit jumpy when it changes the graphics from the small to the larger slashing image, at least compared to the slim and smoother images the first animation uses.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Thanks NS! These new animations are certainly longer than the RTP ones I've been using (RTP anims were about 5 frames and these are 20), so I'll see how a shorter version looks. I still like the idea of a lingering image rather than a fluid animation, so it probably won't have the same feel like the RTP (which is the intent. Otherwise I'd stick with RTP, haha!)
I wanted to make this a separate post but this site still thinks I'm a robot.

I'm getting closer to finishing the next Demo of Nsala Sunset.
I wanted to see if anyone wants to playtest it.
I currently have one play tester, Unity. And she is a great gamer, play tester, and friend.
I'm asking if anyone else wants to be a play tester simply because I figure if I have more testers the game may be better.
Anyway you can respond here or send me a private message either way is fine.
Probably easier to send me a private message.

On a casual play the new demo took me about 2 hours. On a speed run it took 15 minutes. That's largely because most of the game is side quests.
The new demo will also be much easier than the one that is currently available right now.

Alrighty, have a good day everybody.
I am working on many things, but I think I enjoy this part the most. Every new monster to bestiary makes world bigger.
I am workin on a very secret project, that I will not tell you about, but what i will tell you is, there maybe romance :P and u can keep track of yer friendship with your companions via a evented screen I am working on (cos the scripts i tried to use, were too complicated for my small brain to comprehend, or conflicted with scripts i used) :P here is a screenie of what I done so far :

I will change the graphics, they are just there to bug test :P
Still procrastinating, but at the same time, thinking still on how to handle a "Wall Master that can chase you throughout the entire dungeon" gimmick. I think I mentioned this before, but the idea of next dungeon is you have to find keys to unlock areas to get more keys to get through the rest of the dungeon (this is already set up I believe). Meanwhile, you have someone/something that chases you and if it catches you, boots you out of the dungeon and takes away all the keys (they go back to their original spots). The question is how to set it up so the thing can chase throughout the entire dungeon, including into little rooms, and what would be a proper way of handling said event? It's kinda Ao Oni-ish now that I think about it, but I don't know what else to do with the dungeon. There's not a single enemy or boss in it (probably the only dungeon in the entire game like that), so that's out of the question, and I don't WANT to have enemies or bosses here. And I'm not sure what else could work here...>_<
Semi-working on Mayhem Maiden again. I'm thoroughly perplexed about what kinds of enemies work best for an Ice-based floor, and what kind of combat they should offer.

I've tentatively got an Ice Viking, and I'm working on a dividing slime...I'm trying to come up with 2 more. I have sprites that might fit, but not a combat idea.

The rest of the dungeons I have a good theme for and they shouldn't be too big a deal to make enemies/bosses for (Or I have ideas already in mind)

So until I get more ideas, I'm just fixing old bugs (Shara now loses one hate stack per turn while KO'd instead of losing all of them) and tweaking some more new mods/equipment and the abilities that are helpful but not actually broken.

(Pacifist staff is now out the window for instance, it really does go against the entire theme of the character it's meant for)

author=Xenomic
It's kinda Ao Oni-ish now that I think about it, but I don't know what else to do with the dungeon. There's not a single enemy or boss in it (probably the only dungeon in the entire game like that), so that's out of the question, and I don't WANT to have enemies or bosses here. And I'm not sure what else could work here...>_<

Puzzles that involve a lot of spending time in a room, perhaps?

Like a move-the-cube puzzle, or having to put together a solution from several items in the room, as you run around evading the wallmaster?
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=Aegix_Drakan
Semi-working on Mayhem Maiden again.

Hooray! Hurry up and finish it, so I can nominate it for this year's Misaos!
(Just kidding, don't actually hurry. Work at your own pace, of course.)

Regarding enemies for an ice dungeon... Hm, I just got an idea based an a boss from Zelda: A Link to the Past. How about a monster that can encase itself and/or other enemies in a shell of ice, thereby giving them resistance against most types of damage, but the effect ends (or its duration is reduced)when they get hit by a fire-elemental attack? Or something similar to that.

You could also consider creating an enemy made out of ice, that melts into a weaker water version of itself upon death, and will reform back into the ice version if it isn't defeated quickly enough. Or instead have an enemy with an ice shield that absorbs a certain amount of damage before actual HP are lost, and that shield is regenerated every turn. Either way, the point would be that the player would have to deal a lot of concentrated damage to this enemy within a short amount of time in order to be able to hurt or defeat it.

Perhaps it's possible to incorporate the theme of sliding on ice into the combat as well somehow, but I can't come up with a good way to achieve that off the top of my head.

These are all just suggestions, of course, and I'm not even sure if any of them would make for fun or engaging gameplay, but I thought I might as well list them anyway.
That wouldn't be a bad idea, except here's the problem:

These are almost all the rooms in the area, and I'd rather not make them any bigger than they are (I mean, it's a pretty decently sized airship and whatnot, but the rooms aren't meant to be super big and all that). So because of that, I can't really add anything that makes you have to use up time inside these rooms to have Unzan show up to chase the player. @_@;
author=Xenomic
That wouldn't be a bad idea, except here's the problem:

Ouch.

Yeah...I don't know what you can do there. :s Sorry.

author=NeverSilent
(Just kidding, don't actually hurry. Work at your own pace, of course.)

;_; I wish I had more time for it. This math class gobbles up all my time, and the Game design class is also pretty demanding.

How about a monster that can encase itself and/or other enemies in a shell of ice, thereby giving them resistance against most types of damage, but the effect ends (or its duration is reduced)when they get hit by a fire-elemental attack? Or something similar to that.

Good ideas. I have something similar (although kinda opposite in theme) in mind for either the boss or miniboss. They're still in flux, but their strategies will involve some form of trying to open them up for more damage to kill them ASAP while they try to mitigate incoming damage.

Funny point: You'll be able to fight the 4th boss the moment you get into the dungeon. But trying to beat it without hitting at least 2/4 of the "switches" in the dungeon will be rediculous.

:P I really enjoy trying to come up with fun ways that participating in the dungeon's gimmick gives you an advantage in the boss fight. I think you'll really get a kick out of the next one I have planned. It's pretty creative.

You could also consider creating an enemy made out of ice, that melts into a weaker water version of itself upon death, and will reform back into the ice version if it isn't defeated quickly enough.

...Huh. This is a solid idea! I'll see if I can make that kind of idea happen for the Ice-wisp enemy I was considering! Either that or the miniboss. Thanks a bunch.
I'm adding a bit more variation to later scenes in Soma Spirits Rebalance. Some minor scenes lategame didn't account for story decisions at all, and by the time you get to the game's second half it's a bit jarring if you're on certain paths yet the characters' personalities jump back and forth for no reason.

NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I mean, who likes ghosts anyway, right? They just don't know when to quit.
Seriously though, I'm glad to see you're making so much progress with the writing.

By the way, is it just my imagination or have you changed the font for the game?
I'm just throwing ideas around right now. I'd say a pre-treatment stage; prototyping characters and the world, as well as attribute management. I don't have a pre-defined development process, I just kinda throw ideas down and try and cut them into fitting pieces :P
author=NeverSilent
By the way, is it just my imagination or have you changed the font for the game?

Yep! I found a different font that gives almost double the space and doesn't alias like a receipt that went through the wash. It's a lot cleaner.
Welp! Decided to buckle down and work on the database itself on monsters and...I think I made the right choice. Got Hokkai's enemies/bosses done bar 2 (one is a cutscene battle, which is going to be tricky to set up because I want it done in such a specific way. It's reminiscent of the Exdeath vs Galuf fight is why. I want it to be dramatic and whatnot, but not too long since there's an ACTUAL boss with a forced party afterwards) and another boss whom I forgot was even here to begin with, and need to set up a skillset for her (reusing some things, but not everything from past boss fight, and don't know if I'll use some things from next boss fight with her or not).

Managed to fully get End of Gensokyo's enemies/bosses set up (first dungeon of beta6, final beta for main story). Also got almost all of the enemies done for The Void (2nd to last dungeon of the game), bar the final floor enemies, and most of the bosses since I've yet to decide how I want to handle them. After The Void is done, that leaves Heart of Pandora and that's it for the main story enemies/bosses! Major shout outs to LockeZ for his massive help! ^^

Once I get enemies/bosses done, I'm debating on what to do next. Maybe set up the database with new equipment, maybe do mapping, maybe try to update characters...who knows! But getting sooooo close to being done. Want to be done before end of the year! But...then I have sidequests I want to implement and...it makes me cry. I -COULD- cut them all out but...then there'd feel like something's missing and whatnot. >_<
AceOfAces
Engineering to infinity!
Made new clothes for one of the main characters.
I am changing old codes from 2015, today I overhauled my birdie fellow.