WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

I'm working on some code to display speech in Wizard apprentice Lya. Here is what I made so far: display speech and/or thought, left or right of Lya. Balloon size fits the text input.

Feel free to comment.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I am changing assets from XML to JSON, so I don't have to support more than one format.
Rebezion: that looks greaaaat ! I like the way you display the dmg :p

Irog: nice system, though the bubbles seem a bit simple. I think the thoughts would look better if their box were slightly transparent.
That moment when you finish prototyping the first monster encounter for your dungeon...And realize that it would probably be more fun as a boss fight. XD

I'd actually used this particular gimmick in my first attempt at making a sequel to Illusions of Loyalty, and it worked well as a basic encounter. But since Mayhem Maiden has a LOT more multi-hit and multi-target and automatic stuff happening all at once...It starts feeling completely zany.

Probably going to make this the boss encounter for the dungeon, with some further adaptation to make it actually boss worthy. :P
I tested out my 48x48 tiles, since I kinda got a considerable amount of them done already. And as well as to see if my original VXAce sprites will still work out somehow or do I have to completely make a new sprite style...again...

For nature tiles, they seem to be! But if I put them on interior maps, that's where it all goes downhill hahaaa... But it's nice to know I can make dungeons later with smaller sprites and still work out somehow.

However, there's still a lot of work that needs to be done. I learned that I was a moron and I could've done my game resources a lot more efficiently. I could've just made all my tiles smaller than the sprites. For example, 32x32 tiles, with a cabinet for example taking up 6 tiles, walls for 3 and 48x80 sprites or something. That would've saved me a ton of time than making everything 48x48 and then worry about 1:1 scale.

Or I could've made 32x32 tiles and then just scale them up later since I'm not using the default map editor. I like how 48x48 fills space but there could've been so many ways for me to have done this. But I'm so neck deep that I have to commit to this mistake now. The regret overflows ahaha...

(I can't believe that I haven't talked or shown anything about this game in over a year now. Well, it's time to change that!)

So I’m currently in the process of replacing the Jukebox procedure option that used to be included in the previous ring menu build and changing it to replace it with a lovely Bank Loan option instead. I was considering leaving it out completely before and making it more of a feature for a possible sequel along with other content and other ideas that I had in mind, but I thought it wouldn't hurt that much to add this option in, considering that I never really use the Jukebox option that much in-game anyway, and you can still toggle whatever music selections you want directly in the Main Menu now – so out you go; I’m kicking you to the curb now! Get out of my picture folder, you colorful ba*tard!

Basically the idea is to have to player be able to take out up to an $1000 cash loan that he or she has to pay back to the bank over time by passing or landing on GO. Every time that they do, that player won’t receive as much cash back until the debt has been completely paid off. Direct rent payments that a player earns, alongside with other bonuses, such as landing on the Jackpot / Free Parking space is still initially kept by the player and he or she can still have the option to either give some of that money back to bank at any time during the course of their turn or just keep it for other purposes. Besides paying off the initial loan, if the player decides to set the initial Interest Rates rule to an even higher amount than the default 10% placed at the start of the game - then that player will have to pay the interest portion off as well as the original loan itself. So if the Interest Rates are set to 50% and the loan is $1000, then that player will have to pay off not just the $1000 back but also $500 as well in Interest Fees, making getting loans from the bank a bit of a risk if that player’s in a real pinch. And if a player still has to pay a bit of the loan off towards the end of the game when everything is tallied up and they think that they’re safe from doing so now, or if they decide to take out a quick loan just before the game ends so they think that they might have the upper hand on everyone then – hahaha, think again! That loan and interest is still tacked on towards their overall totals at the end of the game, so they have to pay it regardless of what happens. Of course, players can’t take out a second loan without paying off the first one first, and if a player is knocked out by another player and has to give his or her properties or money away to that particular player now, than that original loan is then wiped away clean from the new owner (although this could possibly change). Either way, I thought it was a nice thing to add-in now. I guess the only reason that I didn’t add it this in before was that I was afraid that players would earn way too much money and would have all this unnecessary cash flow around and wouldn’t have that much to do with it afterwards – but whatevers.

Other than that, I’m also toggling and tweaking some additional rule changes, such as having the option to sell properties back to the bank when you try to mortgage them, forcing them to go back on sale again to repurchase again, and having a sort of prison discharge rule where if a third person happens to go to jail then the first person that originally came in would get out scott free on a technicality.

I can’t add every single house rule in this game – but I’ll sure as well damn try!
I'm making a game that takes inspiration from Soul Calibur IV's Arcade Mode and battle system. Basically there is a med-large selection of characters that each have their own story told through 1v1 fights with other characters. I really like this idea of story mode, haven't seen it much in other games.

For the battle system I changed the elements to "quick", "balanced", and "heavy" attacks, where, say, the opponent uses a "heavy" sweep and through a common event is then open to a "quick" stab on the following turn. I'm also going to add in things like duck, dodge, jump, block, throws, character-specific attacks, and "ultimate" attacks using a TP gauge.
revamping some zones, Little test play of latest wip, I sitll need to fix some little things there. Music is provisional.

Although the game is still under heavy development, a new demo was released to show what I have been up to. Experience a complete design overhaul from a full party system, equipment, a skill grid, and a variety of customization options.

Due to a complete lack of a demo in 2016, I thought I'd share a conceptual demo based on what has been going on behind the scenes. Cheers!

Monster World Legends 2017 Conceptual Demo
author=NanakyTim
Irog: nice system, though the bubbles seem a bit simple. I think the thoughts would look better if their box were slightly transparent.

Thanks for your feedback. Transparency is a good idea.
AceOfAces
Engineering to infinity!
Worked on a new lighting and shadow system.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Brushing up on my anatomy by modeling a bust for practice. I did not realize how terrible my anatomy was until I started on this.

Progress from the last three days:

Ace: Those lights are quite unrealistic. The halo should be much bigger and degressive. I really like the atmosphere though, and the mapping is good. Nice work !

I've been working on a new zone for a while. There's one static monster, the Whomping Willow, that can take you by surprise. You need to press the A button 10 times to break free.
@NanakyTim That tree looks like a trap. How the player will know he cant interact with the tree before it grabs him ?
10 hours and 14 minutes today was spent working on battle events for monsters/bosses. I am still not done with them. Let that sink into your heads for a minute. What remains? 21 bosses that need everything done for them (skillsets, battle events, etc.), 14 bosses that need their Steal data done, 7 monsters that need their Steal data done, and all of these guys need their Status Resists done, including the other enemies/bosses I worked on today! Wheeeee!!! T-T

Best part is, once I'm done with enemies/bosses, I still have mapping to do for the 4-5 dungeons remaining in the game. Then I have the story/eventing to do. Then I have updating to do. Then I have sidequests to do. I want to be done before the end of this year, but at this rate...

Makes me wonder if I should even try to make another game after this one. I was thinking of doing a "game", which is more of a game that shows how to do coding in 2k3 and whatnot, but would like to do the original game for Hope and co. too...
author=Rebezion
@NanakyTim That tree looks like a trap. How the player will know he cant interact with the tree before it grabs him ?
I haven't done the animation yet, but the tree should be moving his branch gently every now and then so the player can tell the difference from the other trees.

Edit:

Now the tree moves bashfully every 60-100 frames, and bends over the hero on Easy mode.

New monsters
(don't mind the mapping errors, this map is just for testing monsters, it's not in the game)
author=Xenomic
10 hours and 14 minutes today was spent working on battle events for monsters/bosses. I am still not done with them. Let that sink into your heads for a minute. What remains? 21 bosses that need everything done for them (skillsets, battle events, etc.), 14 bosses that need their Steal data done, 7 monsters that need their Steal data done, and all of these guys need their Status Resists done, including the other enemies/bosses I worked on today! Wheeeee!!! T-T

Best part is, once I'm done with enemies/bosses, I still have mapping to do for the 4-5 dungeons remaining in the game. Then I have the story/eventing to do. Then I have updating to do. Then I have sidequests to do. I want to be done before the end of this year, but at this rate...

I understand your feel 100%, Xenomic.

:s Because my dungeons are all built around a central puzzle/gimmick and all my battles need to take into account the player's ridiculous amount of options, designing any battle (especially bosses) takes a huge amount of time. ;_;

There's a reason (outside of too much schoolwork) that Mayhem Maiden is like 3 years in development and not even half done.

I wish you luck on your end.
Most of my enemies/bosses tend to not take the characters the player can bring to the dungeon into consideration, mostly due to how many there are (at the end of the game, you have access to 20 playable characters and 8 optional characters, so accounting for all of that throughout the entire game is...cumbersome). I mean, I TRY at some parts, but sometimes it's harder than it seems. ^^;;

Not even half done? Oh lordy, hopefully you don't turn into another me, working on the game for 8 years. ^^;;
author=Xenomic
Not even half done? Oh lordy, hopefully you don't turn into another me, working on the game for 8 years. ^^;;

Oh me too. ;_; I thought I was biting off as much as I could chew with my game, but it turns out that just cutting out the world map and "main towns" and focusing purely on dungeons (and integrated towns in some dungeons) is still a ton of effort. In fact, the only reason I'm almost half done is because I went from 10 planned dungeons to 8. ("The Magic-Library" dungeon and the "Fly around in an airship to rescue/assist groups of people to get advantage versus boss" dungeons were scrapped. The former was merged with another dungeon's gimmick, and the latter was cut because I already have a similar gimmick planned out already and that one sounds much more fun)

Fortunately, I have great ideas for dungeon and enemy design for the next 4 dungeons, so less time will be spent just going "uhhh...Wat am I gonna do for enemies and how does I make ice slidey puzzles?".

author=Xenomic
accounting for all of that throughout the entire game is...cumbersome). I mean, I TRY at some parts, but sometimes it's harder than it seems. ^^;;

Oh yeah, it is harder than it seems. Trying to make all skills useful is never easy, especially with as many characters as you have planned. It's one reason I stick to smaller parties (As well as it allows me to keep all the main characters relevant and involved in the plot and dialogue)

Anyway, transforming enemy done, I think I have a workable system for enemies changing form or acting differently based on what element they're hit with.

And I briefly went back to see a cutscene from my thief-y game and I kinda miss it. :( Pity making the various system work is really hard, and too much effort for my current school workload.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=WIP
I am changing assets from XML to JSON, so I don't have to support more than one format.

I legitimately started doing this.