WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

I just updated the post on my card game here. I would REALLY love it if you guys left your comments on it. We're extremely committed and would like you guys' input. But shameless plug aside, we need a total of 500 unique cards so until that goal is reached we're all just creating cards.

I'm also toying with interface design ideas.
I'm doing eventing for monster recruiting...

so 10 slots, each monster that's recruited can fill one of those slots. I'll have 20 monsters for the next demo.

Great, 200 slot choices. Each monster class will have a randomly generated name (4 choices) so 80 names to think off.

Each battle with a recruit-able monster will need to be scripted as such.

If I want the monster to have a random speech pool for when you talk to the party that is another 100 lines to think of.

I haven't timed my rate of doing this but there's tons of command/script lines to pull this off. This is one of those things you don't want to make a mistake otherwise you are rereading lines upon lines....

Oh and one more thing... I need to add them to the sprite changing common-event so they become little coffins when they die and turn back into the right monster when brought back.
Popping back in after a work driven hiatus from these things.

Spent some time today making a pathfinding system (my project is a turn based strategy game)

Currently from whatever spot is selected it shows where a unit could move based on a movement stat + not being able to move through people or water + different terrains having different movement costs (in the picture it's a cost of 1 for the path and 2 for the grass)

The next step will be adding a feature to select someone and instruct them to move... The code for moving them is written, just not the ability to select them and give them the instruction.

Edit: I've now got people moving around, you can select a person, then it draws the diamond showing where they can move to, you then move your pointer around that diamond and it draws a line to the spot you've selected, then press enter and the person starts moving, I'm not sure what to implement next, attack handling or the combat menu or the turn system; I've built the graphics handling for attacks (which shows itself off by having characters randomly kill each other on the title screen) but no interface for it at the moment, also there are no stats yet, my people simply have sprites, names and coordinates/movement details.

(note the graphics used are not my own, the sprites are open source made with a sprite generator that's GPL licensed, see http://gaurav.munjal.us/, the tiles which I note I have not even tried to use correctly are from http://www.lorestrome.com/pixel_archive/forest.htm and copyright with a "you can use if you credit and don't make a profit" clause)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Partially thinking of the CSS for this game page, and a windowskin for my various Tablet windows. Like, I think I want something that looks like what Suikosource has in this regard, but, I'm not really sure where to start looking.

Though, there is a pattern in the version of GIMP that I have that would approximate what I want, but, I'm not 100% sure if I can actually use it?

*Edit: As for what I'm actually working on, making a function for Max HP and Max MP that derive themselves based on the character's base DEF and MDF respectively. The way I worked it, there was a maximum amount of HP/MP you could get in a level, based on the absolute max of the stat in question, and also a calculation based on the respective stat versus the absolute maximum value there as well.

I also wanted to make sure I was working with floating-point variables until the end-result. Which was a pain onto itself.

I'm probably not going to use this system at all for this upcoming game, though. I'm figuring the Max HP of any given character this game is going to be 1000. Maybe 1200? Somewhere around there. That translates to about 10-12 HP per level at the absolute maximum, should I use that formula. I'm not particularly conformable with that!
I just finished creating 30 cards. 74 more to go and then I move on to alpha testing 2.
AceOfAces
Engineering to infinity!
Well, I ported 100% successfully a sample RPG Maker MV project over to the Universal Windows Platform (with the help of Visual Studio). Aside from a few issues (such as WebGL not supported on Windows Phone (Are you kidding me, Microsoft?!)) it's a pretty solid port.

Marrend
Estriole's Suikoden Rune System is the bomb. It handles Rune slots and Rune Shops! The one weird interaction I'm foreseeing is that Runes are considered "armor" in that script, and the SuikoShop script would, necessarily, lump any Runes that players "see" in shops in the game with any armor-listing that would occur with it.

Oh well?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
roach, i feel like you tried to make that as much like a rpg maker menu as possible despite not using rpg maker. it looks good, but it looks like rm2k3 ;V
Roach - I feel a need to second Craze's comment here, I had looked at your post and seen "ah another RPG maker menu" and moved on, seeing that its' not RPG Maker, well I'm surprised :P

As for what I'm working on now...
Decided that just drawing a picture behind sprites isn't a sufficiently advanced map engine and the Sphere map engine doesn't have various key features I need for my project so.... It's time to start building a custom map engine w00t.... (Planning to make a script that reads in Tiled maps and works with them. (see Tiled here if interested http://www.mapeditor.org/)
Marrend
Coding note-tags are weird. I'm still not really sure how the heck they work! Regardless, I managed to set up a note-tag for enemies so that they have a "level multiplier" in regards to experience awards. This is mostly so I can keep the EXP numbers low, and... might be how Suikoden games actually do it. Not 100% sure!

I think my next task is just getting a gamepage together so I can talk/blog about the game's development there rather than spam post on this board.
So in today's endless clusterfuck I _thought_ the version of the game I've been working on had a feature where status healing items would also give a few turns of status immunity to that status. Turns out that was a _different_ version and fuck trying to find which one so I just redid it quick. Did it right too, iirc the last one would let you use an Antidote even when it would have no effect (no poison to cure and the immunity is only applied if you're in battle). Also made state graphics for them since my original had an X that was a bit lopsided. Also made similar new state icons for Element Resist states too. Gotta quit adding shit (although I thought I already did this but just got memories confused)

I expanded a bit too and made a consumable item that gives immunity to stun for a few turns. Maybe it'll be useless! It took two seconds so w/e. Gotta quit adding shit.

There's still some hilarious bad balance here and there for some skills when I fixed the defense bug in my damage algorithm. Every once in a while my party just explodes because a Soaring Toad did Bazap and did 80%+ damage to everybody. I'll knock 'em out as I see 'em and I toned down some enemy stats that I was worried about.

Reviewed skills, fixed some bad MP cost stuff, fixed some inconsistent language, improved some language (ex. Recover the HP of one ally -> Recover one ally's HP). Some skills got some changes, mostly expanding on "Deal X Element damage" skills to "Deal X Element Damage and something else, usually a debuff". It still isn't very interesting but it's a marginal improvement!

During review I saw that AGI Up/Down also affected Hit/Eva +/- 20% which isn't documented anywhere ingame so I added something to that too. I wouldn't be surprised if just capping evade is an endgame strat, especially since magic is subject to hit/evade too.

Also found the bit where I left off with enemies and redid some. There was a noticeable drop in effort with some so I expanded them a bit. There's also two bosses and once they're done it's just the endgame enemies that need to be done.
Balancing Mayhem Maiden feels like I've raised a monster and now need to tussle with it whenever I want to make it eat its greens. -.-

Due to the whole "Fire makes Ice monsters melt and weaken" mechanic in the current dungeon, it's throwing off my usual long battle setup, as if you're not approaching the battle properly, or have the wrong skills set up, it takes forever and a half to kill some of these things. Especially the Ice Slimes that have a mild counter attack in their non-melted forms.

And even when you ARE approaching it right, when almost every single encounter with my first real battle setup on this floor has the mage go into her Overload mode with only one of three enemies dead...It feels like I'm doing something wrong here...

I know it'll get easier once you get a reliable AOE fire attack (The only option you have at the start of the dungoen requires the character to waste a turn reloading), but I'm still having issues making it feel right at the start...

...Oh dear, this is just TWO of the enemy types in the dungeon. This isn't even taking into account the buff-happy Ice Vikings and the Fishman who has a stun that requires setup but is a stun nonetheless. x_x This will take a while.

-

In other news, I drifted back to my Thief-themed RPG for a bit and actually managed to fix the battle system, which was feeling kinda wonky. Making some skills cost much less, rearranging some skills, and adding two more to the "free, but have cooldowns" category has done wonders for the feel of the first battle.

Still doesn't solve the BIG problem, which is making the actual maps and stuff feel good (let alone making the whole sneaky gameplay feel engaging), but that'll come with time.

Next time I look at it, I think I'll need to look into freezing enemy movement whenever you interact with something, leaving all doors open after opening them so enemies can't get trapped, and finding some way to encourage sneaking while not punishing them heavily for getting into fights (I want players to try to avoid fights...But fights are pretty fun now, sooo....Dillema >_>)
author=Aegix_Drakan
And even when you ARE approaching it right, when almost every single encounter with my first real battle setup on this floor has the mage go into her Overload mode with only one of three enemies dead...It feels like I'm doing something wrong here...

That's better than it being too easy though, surely?

MY own update:
- fixed a bug in the mac version of miniSphere (the engine I'm using), w00t - it messed up when you tried to cut up an image that had transparency/alpha in it (a feature I needed for the custom map engine I've accidently started making)

- Trying to decide if I should implement a zoom in/out feature; not sure if I can think of a 2D sprite based game with one but...
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=Aegix_Drakan
Balancing Mayhem Maiden feels like I've raised a monster and now need to tussle with it whenever I want to make it eat its greens. -.-
I know combat in this game is quite a challenge, but I wasn't aware that applied even to the developer. Sorry to hear you've been struggling with it recently. If there's any way I can try to help you figure something out, let me know any time.
- Trying to decide if I should implement a zoom in/out feature; not sure if I can think of a 2D sprite based game with one but...

PRETTY sure that Trails in the Sky, a 2D sprite based RPG, has zoom in-soom-out...

So yeah, if you can implement it, go for it, it sounds like a fantastic little addition.

author=Rhuan

It's not that it's too hard, it's just that it kind of feels like it takes too long.

author=NeverSilent
I know combat in this game is quite a challenge, but I wasn't aware that applied even to the developer. Sorry to hear you've been struggling with it recently. If there's any way I can try to help you figure something out, let me know any time.

Dude.

If it's complex or challenging to play, it's at least twice as complex or challenging to MAKE.

There's currently nothing you can really help figure out, as it's mostly numbers at this point that I'm juggling.

That said, your continued support is always appreciated. Your suggestion about morphing enemies in the dungeon really opened up some cool possibilities, and your willingness to test stuff helps a ton.

On that note, I've FINALLY gotten two of my enemy types behaving well enough

there's probably going to be a minor overhaul of what mods are dished out in the next build / pre-public-demo. Given how dungeon 4 is the halfway point in the game, I think I can afford to give out more of the mods I have planned, and maybe more of the powerful or kinda cool ones. I kinda feel like Karin could use a bit of love in the "fun to use" department, specifically.
We designed 500+ cards and are now finally moving on to printing them out to playtest everything!
author=Aegix_Drakan
author=Rhuan
PRETTY sure that Trails in the Sky, a 2D sprite based RPG, has zoom in-zoom-out...

So yeah, if you can implement it, go for it, it sounds like a fantastic little addition.
Well I've set it up and it works - got a slight "balancing issue" around how fast a zoom in/zoom out to make it, currently allow one percent per frame - which can feel a little rough, but if I go much lower it will probably feel too slow - i should perhaps add a time based control rather than just pegging everything to frames...

author=Aegix_Drakan
author=Rhuan
It's not that it's too hard, it's just that it kind of feels like it takes too long.
Yeah I've always found overly long fights annoying - unless they have some kind of tense challenge going all the way through; "rocket tag" is far more exciting IMO than protected heal fests.

Edit: Thoguht I'd add an update on what I've been now... I'm trying to make a decent looking status window for when a character is selected this sort of thing:

Though probably with a little more information and no picture, tweaking text drawing functions to put it together is painful...
Some midgame playtest results: Buff Immunity should really count as a Debuff and be removed from Debuff-removing actions. Conversely, Debuff Immunity should really count as a Buff and removed from Buff-removing actions! Otherwise some fights becomes silly. Also should probably move some stuff around.

One character had both a single target paralyze and OHKO ability. One is kinda way better than the other besides "scan enemy to see what works better" I changed the paralyze ability to give the party debuff immunity.

In more "don't add new shit" defying action I changed the item cap! The original was classic RM awkwardly hardcoded, I changed it to a constant of 20 a while back, then changed it again to use a variable value. The player starts with a maximum of 10 per item and each time a player defeats the boss for the first time it increases by +1 to a maximum of 25. It's a little extra bonus for boss killing. I also changed it so when buying items instead of just saying how many you have it also shows how many you can hold, so 3 / 11 for example.

Related to above there was a bug with drops ignoring the item capacity check. I wanted event commands that give items to ignore the item cap so that dungeon/quest rewards don't hit the floor so the check is only done when buying items. Whoops! I changed it so the gain_item method will check the capacity if a certain flag is set which is during adding items in the victory script. This way drops are displayed but if you have too many they hit the floor while normal gains like quests or internal management aren't affected.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
After completing the exterior and interior of the "Feline Fortress" (because Charlie's Castle would be a dumb name) and filling it with animal NPCs that sing the praises of their king (inspired by the real guy's demeanor/actions in life), I'm getting mentally prepared for the dungeon that serves as a setting for a side-quest that introduces the princess to the kingdom.

Turns out Princess Honda (name will be changed or scrapped to prevent copyright infringement) has heard about a Mythical Tuna and she's gone out in search of it. It's your responsibility to bring her back to the castle safely. You'll also do battle with the Mythical Tuna and use its body to prepare a feast for the king and his guests/countrymen. During this feast, the king will speak with the cat of your own group about how she'll tackle the matter of addressing her own people and the inevitable future of her queenship.

I've got my usual Wednesday night thing to attend later today, but I plan on jumping in immediately afterward if not put in a little bit of time beforehand.