WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Ace isn't expensive. You can get it for cuppa bucks on sale and I'm sure that if you look around, many people have extra steam keys laying around.
You don't have to learn much of RGSS or rather what you gotta learn comes very natural and there are already ABS and pixel movement scripts.

If you're ok with an older version of Game Maker, I can give you a key. Studio 2 was on sale recently and it's far from expensive.

Free choices probably are the most interesting one and you get the most from investing your time in them in the long run. It will pay back as you should be able to make prototypes of something else than top down rpgs rather fast later on.

IG maker probably isn't worth the money, if you're short on them.
@GretGor check out RPGWizard, its still currently in development, its free, it currently has export to windows, html5, Linux(mac and android are in the works)
There is a Zelda style battle system example available(will need tweaking to fit your game) Forums are a bit dead but the discord is very active(the dev does not have time to fight off the bots and police the forums)
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Yeah, RPG Maker alternatives like RPG Wizard might be a good option too. They're often rough around edges but small surrounding communities (at least in case of wizard) give you an option to participate on development of the engine itself. You can demand some functions to be implemented earlier than planned. Defo take a look at wizard and maybe check out RPG 20xx, which is unfortunately not in development anymore, but Wolfcoder is still active around RMN and uses an upgraded version of the engine for his project Land Traveller.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
Thank you all so much, I'll check out those suggestions :)
I'm working right now on developing a "base engine". Note the quotes, I'm not coding my own RPG Maker lol, just a base setup I can use for start creating games on RPG Maker MV. Finally I found the time and the motivation on working in creating a mix of RPG Maker 2000 graphics with all the perks and benefits of working with a more modern tool.

Skills and roles database are the priority right now, not as fun as mapping but looking good.
Gretgor
Having gotten my first 4/5, I must now work hard to obtain... my second 4/5.
author=Cap_H
If you're ok with an older version of Game Maker, I can give you a key. Studio 2 was on sale recently and it's far from expensive.

You mean the good old Game Maker Studio 1? I'd love it, but I thought it was unavailable forever. How much would you like for it?
My detication to doing as little mapping as possible is going goooood

Why have cool NPCs to talk to when you can just do business and get kicked out immediately
I actually kind of like that. There's also the DQ style interiors are part of the outside thing.
Does anyone have an idea for a quest for a "hairdresser" in my game. You have to perform it and then she'll become available to add to the party. (I'm basing this game partly off Citizens of Earth, but I've tried to avoid repeating most of the professions in it)

This is what I have already. She's the last one I need to come up with.

Politician: Nothing. She joins the party at the beginning of the game.
Nerd: Same as above.
Vampire: No quest. Joins when encountered.
Wizard: Same as above.
Doctor: Get # of items. Take them back to him.
Vending Machine Guy: Get # of items, four different types.
Electrician: Accompanies on a quest. Fight boss.
Chef: Another item quest.
Martial Artist: Fight her and win.
Mad Scientist: Non-Recruitable, but works like "Fly" in the Pokemon games. Dungeon and Boss.
Meter Maid: No quest. Will join when at the right point in the game, if approached.
Mermaid: Same as above. Only met when the weather is "Rain" or "Storm"
Sanitation Worker: Fight a series of battles.
Farmer: Only available if the Vampire is in your party. A difficult fight as Vampire fights solo, and the farmer uses fire element attacks.
Critic: Quest to get him out of prison.
Confectioneer: Get items for him. No clue given on where to find them.
Juggler: Beat him at a mini game.
Medieval Enthusiast: Find a rare item for him.
Bartender: Give him money

Problem's been solved. You have to patronise her business enough times.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Found a bug in the war-battle system. It doesn't seem consistent at all, so, I'm not sure how to duplicate the error, much less fix it.

JOY.
Production on OHMIC will resume, starting today! Keep on the look out for updates on both here and Discord.
Working on a third rewrite of my story draft (for an rpg game).
Maybe this time I will cut more portions out. Anyways, I have high hopes that I will not abandon making this game because FINALLY I overcame Procrastinademon and the I-will-not-finish-this-shit-cause-it-will-be-bad-anyways in finishing the first and second draft. sigh
I want to make it possible to do a pacifist (or boss-only) game play, so I'm making a sort of bribe system that happens at the beginning of the battles.

Like, if a creature lives in the desert, you can give it water. Or many monsters you can give meat.

There are wrinkles, like some items require multiple quantities, and some items won't be accepted or will cause a reaction (don't give vials of blood to vampires, as it'll make them crazy and attack).

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I have been working at a feverish pace. I'm at the point where the 108 bonus might need to happen, and I've made zero thought-cycles on it so far.
author=Marrend
I have been working at a feverish pace. I'm at the point where the 108 bonus might need to happen, and I've made zero thought-cycles on it so far.

Don't do it. 108 is evil.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OneHundredAndEight
author=bulmabriefs144
I want to make it possible to do a pacifist (or boss-only) game play, so I'm making a sort of bribe system that happens at the beginning of the battles.

Like, if a creature lives in the desert, you can give it water. Or many monsters you can give meat.

There are wrinkles, like some items require multiple quantities, and some items won't be accepted or will cause a reaction (don't give vials of blood to vampires, as it'll make them crazy and attack).

I actually kinda like this idea! So instead of trying to fight enemies normally you can basically try and offer enemies up a gift so they’ll either potentially leave you alone or be even twice as hard to fight than before, making for a real challenge if the player wants it. Neat!
Yet another attempt to redesign chests. I hate using switches, so coming up with something to conserve them is a challenge on 2k3.
Been about 2 years since I last did any game development. I did buy a humble bundle pack back in November with a bunch of RPG game assets, so I started trying to make a game again 2 weeks ago. Looks like it's gonna be some kinda action RPG atm. The art stuff is such a pain!

Sneak peak into a mid-late game area of OHMIC that can be visited for training/level grinding if the player so chooses; the name is Magma Fields. It's not 100% complete (planning on adding some more small details), though it's roughly about where I want it.

The 2nd map, as you might have noticed, has a few ropes that lead to two items and an optional high-level Fopperij (Mimic-style enemy) to fight for lots of cash and high-end loot, if the player so chooses.