WHATCHU WORKIN' ON? TELL US!

author=PhantasmaX
Been working on adding/updating the skills for the 4 character classes I have in my game. Started yesterday after finished updating like 20 pages of documentation. Basically, I'm just trying a bunch of different things until something works, since I have no idea how a skill is going to look like and function until I actually make it.

Wow, this is awesome! Combat looks so fluid and immersive! :) I really like the telegraphs too, way to keep you on your toes. Keep up the great work! :D
author=EtherPenguin
Hello, I've been working on getting everything for my combat system programmed in GMS2. I'm using arrays to create a Final Fantasy XII inspired gambit system to handle enemy actions in battle. I'm going back and forth on when I want the enemy to recheck the gambits though.

The slimes have one gambit to heal a fellow monster if their HP drops under 75%, if the gambit check is untrue, they do a basic attack. The green clover icon above the slimes' heads means their preparing a healing spell (different icons will represent different skill types).

Been meaning to reply to this. Looks really cool! The only thing I can add is that I worry about the camera being a little too jumpy (though it is helpful for drawing attention). I wonder if it's worth doing it way more softly.
I'm currently trying to come up with some new enemies for my current game, as I seem to be using the same images ones over and over, for the sake of trying to keep the overall file size small (This is in MV), but it's hard to keep coming up with something new for them.

I've also been wondering how many enemies are considered the norm for an area in a game. Mine tends to vary between 3 - 6 (3 is in the first early areas in the game).

If anyone can throw in some ideas for ones which could be used for various different enemies, that would be much appreciated.

Here's a list of the images I've got so far

Goose
Bat
Hawk / Eagle
Ram (Male Sheep)
Butterfly
Robots x1
Caterpillar
Cold Turkey (A turkey which appears to be frozen. Uses Ice elemental attacks)
Convolvulus - aka, Morning Glory, Bindweed
Dead Fish
Dragon
Dryer (Clothes Dryer)
Elemental
Garbage
Gecko
Ghost
Gigas
Hedgehog
Horse
Large Slime
Lilly
Mannequins (Male + Female)
Mer-Warrior
Mole
Moth
Mouse
Nettles
Fungus
Rat
Radioactive Rat
Skeleton
Slime
Spider
Sprite / Fairy
Broken TV
Vampire (Male and Female)
Fly Trap
Wolf
Worm
Zombie
I think this title screen is p cool

(image came out a little big)

I've been working on making custom tilesets.

I don't want to give away too much yet, but I'm planning on having exclusively custom graphics for my next game. I'm going for a Dark Souls vibe. What do you guys think? You'll notice that I took inspiration from Seiken Densetsu 3 for the shape of one of the trees, but otherwise this is all completely original.

My method for creating the foliage is to basically make a bunch of bushes, and combine them together.

I was planning for my next game to have an 8 bit/Gameboy Color vibe... but even though my palette is limited, I got carried away with the amount of colors in one tile (I think true GBC games allow a maximum of 4 colors in a single tile).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Crazy color scheme. Super high contrast shadows. Does the rest of the game look like that or just the trees? It looks really good, but I feel like it would be hard to make the whole game match that style.
author=LockeZ
Crazy color scheme. Super high contrast shadows. Does the rest of the game look like that or just the trees? It looks really good, but I feel like it would be hard to make the whole game match that style.

Well, these are the first tiles I've made. There hasn't been any work done to my new project outside of this at all. Nothing else exists yet except what's in my mind. You could be entirely right that it might be hard to make an entire game work in this style.

Originally, I was inspired by a mockup someone called Ryumaru made, of what Dark Souls would look like on Game Boy Color. (http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/96094.htm) The high contrast is sort of inherent to this style. You can see this high contrast art style in NES games too, like Batman. It kind of developed out of the color limitations. This is what originally influenced me, and where I got many of the colors from, but obviously my tiles and the trees started to look a lot more like a SNES game.

But yeah, we'll see what happens. I might have to change the palette completely later on. Luckily, I'm using Aseprite, which allows you to easily change your color palette. I'm only just beginning to experiment with making tiles. I've been studying commercial game tiles, and tutorials from the web and on YouTube. I'm definitely going for a dark, mystical, dreamy feel.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, nothing wrong with upgrading to 16-bit graphics. It's about a hundred times easier. And the high contrast definitely helps with the gothic noir look that it sounds like you're going for.

Just be careful about which tiles are high-contrast and which tiles aren't. Being able to see enemies and clearly make out the walkable area is important. You might notice that, in the mockup screenshots you linked to, the walls, floors and doodads are all much lower contrast, except for the iron fences. And the fences aren't distracting because there's nothing behind or in front of them; they exist completely outside of the playable area. But within the playable area, only the player and the enemies are high-contrast, which makes them stand out and helps the player immediately recognize which sprites are interactive/important.

If you make random doodads like trees and bushes be high-contrast, then when enemies or the player are in front of them or partially behind them, it'll be much harder for the player to see what's going on. That's usually not something you want, though in certain types of games, noticing hard-to-notice things and just keeping track of what's on the screen can be an intentional part of the challenge.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I'm working on trying to learn how to use Unity.
Everyone else = Taking player movement for granted in RPG Maker.
Hours later, I can finally jump!

Thank you again LockeZ - that advice is very useful.

Kory, are those graphics custom? Looks amazing. I am contemplating learning Unity for a future game.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=dethmetal
Thank you again LockeZ - that advice is very useful.

Kory, are those graphics custom? Looks amazing. I am contemplating learning Unity for a future game.

The graphics were made by ansimuz. I had to edit them in order to work in Unity:

https://ansimuz.itch.io/
Neither living nor dead, but simply waiting for the Time Fantasy pack to go on sale.
Converting some of RM2003's RTP to use in Ace, whose default graphics I never liked. But Ace handles everything, from proper walk speed to coding systems, much better indeed. Always wanted to try making a setting centered around the monster's point of view, but as for the plot coming up with more interesting stuff to do than "you orc - go kill human" is hard.

You should check out the game Bob's Big Adventure if you can find it. It's an RPG Maker 2000 game with a similar concept. It's really good. Might provide you with some inspiration!

The RM2K3 graphics look great in Ace!
I have a thread to post when a day has passed (new user thing arggh)

Well, here I post the screenshots I must remind myself to attach to the thread anyway :) :) :)

It is it is an RPG Maker 95 game I am making called "The Trials"..

That looks seriously good for a RM95 game!
Working on a Crouch Dodge mechanic where you can avoid enemy damage if you crouch at just the right frame timing!

Not every attack in the game can be avoided by this method, but this definitely adds more functionality to the crouch mechanic in the game in general, especially for combat I feel :)

Shadow Seeker Crouch Dodge Mechanic
I am working on getting my s*^& together.
Hi all! This is not necessarily 'working on' post, but come to think of it I've been working on this project constantly even if only in my head. I started Aetherian a long time ago and I haven't been here for a long time, but I've just played my own game and the sentiment (and creator's pride!) kicked in hard.

Having this said, since I started dabbling in pixel art recently, I've been thinking to remake Aetherian with custom made titles, old-school NES style (yes, I've been playing Shovel Kinght and suff a lot...). Every time I see such retro game, my heart warms up like playing those games was the happiest time of my life (hardly, but we all know the power of the sentiment!).

In the meanwhile, please go and check out my Aetherian. It's a story-driven game with a lot of tweaks to make the stadard-chipsets-and-animations-and-fight-system game worthwhile. Any and all feedback much appreciated!

I only just found out Windows 10 lets me record stuff. So here's the first ever video of my game! Check it out, yo! :p