FRICKIN' "DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: RETURNS"

Pages: 1
...is awesome.

Like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario's former rival has a new game out that revisits the classic feel of prior titles...

I purchased Donkey Kong Country: Returns a few days ago. I've put about 6 or 7 hours of playtime into it at this current point in time which is enough for me to judge that it's an outstanding game. Why, you may ask? Oh, let me tell you...

You have 7 worlds (or 8, I'm not 100% sure quite yet) to conquer, most of them having familiar themes from previous games of the franchise. Each stage has three goals other than simply completing the level: collect the K-O-N-G letters, like in old games; find "X" amount of puzzles pieces which unlock hidden content like music and images in the gallery (each stage has a different number of puzzles pieces than that last); and speed through the stage in a time attack mode. Furthermore, collecting the K-O-N-G letters in each stage of a world will open up a secret temple stage in said world. Completing all of these temple stages in the game will unlock something special.

Donkey Kong country: Returns is also more difficult than New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Although it suffers from the fact that it's waaaaay too easy to acquire extra lives--just like in New Super Mario--the stages provide a more adequate challenge than the aforementioned game. Unless you're the god of Donkey Kong Country, you'll probably end up losing a minimum of a life or two on at least every other stage. The temple levels, though, are another story: prepare to suffer...because it will take you a handful of attempts before you successfully complete the stage.

Oh, and don't get me started on time-attacking the temple levels. You just may shout profanities.

One final note, the music is highly nostalgic. Most of the themes and fanfares from prior games in the series can be found here, as well as a few new songs. =D

So, if you love the DKC series, would like to play a moderately challenging platformer, or are just a fan of the tie-wearing ape himself, then I suggest you pick up (or at least rent) Donkey Kong Country: Returns. It is truly an enjoyable game that is well worth the price.
Cool, I was hoping this would be good. How's the multiplayer?

*edited while you were typing :P

I was never a big fan of this game either. I probably wouldn't play it on my own either. I like how games these days are adding simultaneous multiplayer (I think that's what was announced at E3).
post=Link_2112
Cool, I was hoping this would be good.

Even though I enjoyed the first Donkey Kong Country as a kid, I was never a big fan of the series mascot or the franchise itself, but boy am I glad I picked DKC:R up. It's great.

post=Link_2112
How's the multiplayer?

I actually haven't had a chance to check that out yet, to be honest; I only have one Wii Remote =P
I do know that first player plays as Donkey Kong and the second player plays as Diddy Kong, though, if that helps.
Why the fuck would this game not have classic controller support? Besides that, it's a great game.
I will be picking this up in about a week or so. The last Donkey Kong game I played was back in 2000, which was Donkey Kong 64. I'm glad DK is back in a big way.
I really adore the work that's gone into the backgrounds.

And this music is so fucking good
I've heard this game is the shit.
author=Jericho
And this music is so fucking good
author=Feldschlacht IV
I've heard this game is the shit.

Having played the game firsthand, I can confirm that these statements are COMPLETE TRUTH
I really like that level where you're silhouetted against the sunrise. Are there more levels that play with the atmosphere like that?
One of the factory levels does, I think.
author=Mitsuhide_The_Vagrant
You just may shout profanities.
oh no

is the music in this game as good as the original DKC games? that's the only thing i really liked about them tbh
author=cho
is the music in this game as good as the original DKC games? that's the only thing i really liked about them tbh

Oh GOD YES.

author=Jericho
I really like that level where you're silhouetted against the sunrise. Are there more levels that play with the atmosphere like that?

There are a few, I believe, but I've only played up to the boss of the 4th world so far, so there may be even more--I don't know.
I told you guys that the 2D sidescroller genre was going to make a comeback. no one believed me.

Back in my day blah blah blah Donkey Kong Jr. yadda yadda get off my dang lawn! dang kids these days...
Pages: 1