TVTROPES: GETTING GAMES THAT DESERVE IT, AND OUR COMMUNITY, A WORTHY SPOT.

I know a bunch of you guys are reading this. This topic has hundreds of views; what do YOU, the person reading this, think? Chip in, guys.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I think I resent when amateur writing and amateur films are listed on TV Tropes, I feel like the site should only be for major professional works, and I would probably resent listings for amateur games too if I weren't an amateur game designer.

But I guess I'm probably in the minority?
Why should only major commercial works get the gratification n of creative interpretation?
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
One of the great things about TVTropes is you get exposure to a lot of cool things you'd have never even heard about otherwise.

Not saying RM Games are going to open anyone's eyes or change anyone's life, but if anyone finds and enjoys any of these works, so much the better.
Solitayre
Double posts are awesome.
author=LockeZ
I think I resent when amateur writing and amateur films are listed on TV Tropes, I feel like the site should only be for major professional works, and I would probably resent listings for amateur games too if I weren't an amateur game designer.

There is a category specifically for freeware games as well as a "nothing not notable" policy so I think there's nothing to worry about there.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hmm, upon looking, I see that they do have such a policy. Doesn't mean I personally agree with it though. I guess Wikipedia has me brainwashed or something.

In any case, continue. Just because I won't like the articles doesn't mean other people won't, I suppose.
author=Solitayre
Well the idea of a tropes is to provoke interest and discussion. It doesn't seem to me like a generic zombie game with no dialogue/story/interesting characters would prompt much in the way of discussion. I haven't played it though.

I'd also prefer we focus on some of the more polished/well-regarded projects, ones with interesting merits that make them discussion-worthy. We want to share our best titles. That's me though. If you can make a good case for the zombie game, go for it.

That's a good point...

I guess I need to start playing more games. lol They ones I like aren't "trope friendly", I guess.
author=LockeZ
I resent when amateur writing and amateur films are listed on TV Tropes

and amateur games. But what're ya gonna do :\

to quote mr burns: "let the fools have their tar tar sauce"
author=LockeZ

But I guess I'm probably in the minority?

Still you have to admit, Cave Story was a pretty cool free indie game that deserved it's place, no?
I think as long as the indie/amateur stuff is noteworthy it should be fine!
LockeZ
For an amateur game, Cave Story is notable. But it is less notable than many un-notable professional games, like... I dunno, most of the Final Fantasy spinoffs.

Right now TV Tropes is too cluttered, there are too many listings. I'd like to go through the TV Tropes site and delete a few thousand articles. I'd probably delete the article for any work that sold under a million copies or had an audience of under a million viewers/readers.

Of course, if people couldn't add retarded shit to it, it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is today. Ah well.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Right now TV Tropes is too cluttered, there are too many listings. I'd like to go through the TV Tropes site and delete a few thousand articles. I'd probably delete the article for any work that sold under a million copies or had an audience of under a million viewers/readers.

Of course, if people couldn't add retarded shit to it, it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is today. Ah well.

I was always of the belief TVTropes is about adding and reading "retarded shit", which oftentimes is hilarious.

Besides, what RMN is trying to do here would only pass for "retarded shit" at more encyclopedic wikis like Wikipedia or Wikia for a variety of reasons, including astronomical levels of original research and lack of notability. TVTropes is a decent place to gather some spotlight, to be sure, but it's also the only place where content like this can even hope to survive in a popular wiki environment.

I know a bunch of you guys are reading this. This topic has hundreds of views; what do YOU, the person reading this, think? Chip in, guys.

Before I give my two cents on this, is this topic about making TVTropes pages or discussing the relevancy of the endeavor? I can't figure out which it is.
author=KingArthur

I was always of the belief TVTropes is about adding and reading "retarded shit", which oftentimes is hilarious.

Besides, what RMN is trying to do here would only pass for "retarded shit" at more encyclopedic wikis like Wikipedia or Wikia for a variety of reasons, including astronomical levels of original research and lack of notability. TVTropes is a decent place to gather some spotlight, to be sure, but it's also the only place where content like this can even hope to survive in a popular wiki environment.

Before I give my two cents on this, is this topic about making TVTropes pages or discussing the relevancy of the endeavor? I can't figure out which it is.

It's about making TVTropes pages. But I'll throw a bone. Here it comes.

People like reading TVTropes because it's fun. It's fun to read fellow fans interpretation of your favorite movies and games. It's fun to discuss what plot points fit into tropes and have discussions about what is the Crowning Music of Awesome or whether or not the main character is a Determinator, and on the other end of the spectrum, it's fun debating with fellow fans about what Just Bugs You and whether the event in the middle of the game was a Depopulation Bomb or something more.

Wikpedias and Wikis certainly have their place, and Wikias like the Dragon Age wikia or the Final Fantasy Wikia are so well constructed it's humbling. There THE place to go if you want an objective, by the facts rundown of a story, background, or gathering information. If anything, it's the place you go BEFORE TVTropes so you can get learned on what you're talking about.

However, a place like TVTropes is the place for informal fans to interpret their ideas of a given work. You know, informal as in, how regular people speak? Yes, it has a structured system and guidelines in place to keep things organized and clean. But to dismiss it because of original research or lack of notability? It's all about subjective, fan interpretation of a given work, what YOU think compared to what someone else may think, and they mesh as tropes.

Enjoying things as fans aren't all about hardline encyclopedic entries and objective facts of whatever plot you cooked up, and you anyone believes that, they're straight up autistic. It's about the organic flow of the fanbase these works accumulate and how ideas and different interpretations of the same thing spread and converge, and ultimately bring people together.

The sooner we realize that, and the general idea behind it, I think our games will be a lot better off, honestly.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
People like reading TVTropes because it's fun. It's fun to read fellow fans interpretation of your favorite movies and games. It's fun to discuss what plot points fit into tropes and have discussions about what is the Crowning Music of Awesome or whether or not the main character is a Determinator, and on the other end of the spectrum, it's fun debating with fellow fans about what Just Bugs You and whether the event in the middle of the game was a Depopulation Bomb or something more.
While I've never actually discussed anything on TVTropes, it is certainly very fun to just go off and read (get trapped in the so-called TVTropes Syndrome). If I'm reading up on something I've liked, chances are I'll come out laughing mad and ever enlightened. And above all, TVTropes always manages to brighten the day with its hilarious and brilliant content. Hell, most of the Crowning Moment/Music of Awesome entries are downright crazy awesome.

Wikpedias and Wikis certainly have their place, and Wikias like the Dragon Age wikia or the Final Fantasy Wikia are so well constructed it's humbling. There THE place to go if you want an objective, by the facts rundown of a story, background, or gathering information. If anything, it's the place you go BEFORE TVTropes so you can get learned on what you're talking about.
Quite right. I've partaken use of them numerous times to look up information on stuff I've liked or felt interested in with very gratifying results.

However, a place like TVTropes is the place for informal fans to interpret their ideas of a given work. You know, informal as in, how regular people speak? Yes, it has a structured system and guidelines in place to keep things organized and clean. But to dismiss it because of original research or lack of notability? It's all about subjective, fan interpretation of a given work, what YOU think compared to what someone else may think, and they mesh as tropes.
For the record, I never dismissed TVTropes's significance. I just said that what we're pushing for won't stand outside of TVTropes for the reasons I mentioned. It was more for countering Locke's opinion that TVTropes shouldn't have amateur works listed.

The sooner we realize that, and the general idea behind it, I think our games will be a lot better off, honestly.
Now this is where I partly venture off from your road. While I agree that publicity from TVTropes is a good thing, I'm finding myself difficult to agree with the now-two-topics worth of encouragement to "trope it up".

While I don't mean to discredit what you're doing, Feld, I've always been of the stout opinion that, if a game (or whatever you want) is loved so much by its fans that it'd generate the discussions and interpretations worthy of TVTropes, the fans will do so spontaenously. They wouldn't need to be told or encouraged (and certainly not by someone close to the side of the game authors!), they'd just do it without second thoughts or prior discussions. Fans want to talk! Lack of media be damned! And if there's a proper media (TVTropes), then there's nothing stopping them.

So what is stopping RMN from doing just that, even with incessant encouragement? The simple answer I'm thinking is most likely is that the fans simply don't exist, either in fan quanity or in fan appreciation of the game. Given RMN's numerous epic fails with almost anything community driven I'm guessing this place has an extreme condition of that.

In my case for why I'm not participating, it's a lack of enough interest in both the games and the idea. No number of encouragement topics or guilt trips will actually convince me to utilize some time to contribute. Yes, I'm blunt about it. I'm also honest about it rather than sugar-coating it.

So to answer the original query of "what do I, the person reading this, think?", I'm of the opinion this will result in either nothing or a (very) small return. RMN as a community simply doesn't have neither the manpower nor the willpower to take the idea seriously.
Solitayre
I wouldn't say there's none, people do become quite enthusiastic regarding certain games and are willing to put the effort in without any prompting. But I agree with what you're saying, trying to force people to do this is not going to accomplish anything, which is why I was saying I think you need to see if popular support exists BEFORE starting a page, not making a page and then telling everyone to fill it in.
LockeZ
Bluh bluh I just don't like tvtropes, if you like it then go add as many articles as you want

I don't really think I would want to add an article for my game because there are so many things about it that I'm not happy with, but people can't add articles for their own works anyway, so I guess my feelings are irrelevant! So I guess you clownfountains can trope it up if you think it's worthwhile or whatever, I dunno.

Meanwhile personally I will stick to simply making games, because I'd rather create a brilliant game with zero players than than a mediocre one with seven billion players. I'm crazy like that.
Why do some posters take everything so seriously? :\
LockeZ
Sorry, I meant for my posts to be pretty light-hearted

Unless you meant some other dude besides me, in which case YEAH WHAT A PAIN THAT GUY KEEPS BEING
author=LockeZ
Sorry, I meant for my posts to be pretty light-hearted

Unless you meant some other dude besides me, in which case YEAH WHAT A PAIN THAT GUY KEEPS BEING

No one in particular. Just how the general attitude kind of gets sometimes.