WAYS TO IMPROVE THE COMMUNITY/MAINTAIN ITS AWESOMENESS.

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Feldschlacht IV
Don't make butt games.

The answer to life and everything.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Our community is nice enough - most of the time - and may be nicer than most of the communities on the internet, but as always, perfection is to be strived for and never achieved. This is a good topic.

As far as the jaded gamer thing goes, people should definitely throw that away - no one is more boring than a person who has no passion, especially in a community striving to create. "Why bother, give up, start over, you suck, nothing's good". All boring shit-talk. That being said if you're going to make a passionate (i.e. angry ranting or strong opinion) post about something you damn well better be smart enough to follow it up with some logical arguments.

OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE LIKE CRAZE

(jk craze is an example of a very opinionated person with logical arguments)

EDIT: I've been playing a lot of HoN lately and holy shit is that the worst community. The game is fun as hell but god forbid you start losing because your team will start raging at each other like nobody's business.
Absolutely Feldschlacht! Thank you for posting this topic. One of the things I noticed right off the bat joining this site is how much negativity there can sometimes be flying around. No, I'm not trying to cause problems, but just agreeing with Feldschlacht about some of the issues that are a real community turn-off.

Thanks again for the positive post.

-CM
Thanks for the kind words, CM. It means a lot that my thoughts are reaching the people that I don't even know.
I don't know, anyone complaining about negative comments anywhere on the Internet usually gets a "Welcome to the Internet, I will be your guide" image macro.
May I suggest to divide the Help & Requests section in two separate entities?
I don't think topics asking for facesets belong in the same place as topics asking for help because the game crashes in test mode.

Also, it would be nice having some sort of tags/icons for the specific maker next to the topics names, so one could know someone's asking for help with 2k instead of XP without actually entering the thread.
I think it would be easier to navigate.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
mog can i make butt games if they're butt games about your heavenly chocolate booty
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
tardis
mog can i make butt games if they're butt games about your heavenly chocolate booty

Can we make a MOG-in-sailor-costume striptease game together?
Mog's Rule: All conversations eventually have me in a sailor outfit as its endgame.
tastes like chocolate never tasted before
I bumped this topic because I feel it still applies.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Feldschlacht IV
LISTEN UP SONNY

1. Don't discuss things, it's just needless drama.

2. Don't discuss things, it's just needless drama.

3. Don't discuss things, it's just needless drama.

4. Don't discuss things, just it's needless drama.

5. Don't discuss things, just it's needless drama.

Discussion isn't drama!

Sir, I believe I have a problem with your paradigm.

I kid, I kid, point 4 was actually unrelated.

But seriously, I agree that discussion isn't drama. If something has anything to do with RPG Making, directly or indirectly, then there is no reason to ever not talk about it!

Complaints are never needless, by definition! If something is incorrect or suboptimal or problematic, then please let people know! Otherwise it will never get fixed. And even if it doesn't get fixed, it still raises awareness of the problem, which is good. Complaining about a problem is actually the most important step in fixing it. Most problems exist because the person who can fix them doesn't recognize that they're problematic. If I or someone else is doing something wrong, keep telling us until we learn.

Hating something is fine, it just means you love its opposite. If you have no hate, then you have no love. If you have no love, then you have no passion. If you have no passion, then find a hobby you're passionate about instead of this one! Speak your passions, let us know! This site is useless if we don't discuss things, and our discussions are useless if the views we express are so flip-floppy or so unobtrusive or so inoffensive that no one believes we really care about them. If I don't think you really care about your points, I'm not going to take them as seriously! Make me believe that I'm wrong, and explain exactly why!
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
1. Give credit where it is ****ing due. People work hard. Don't be an elitist. Say it's "good" and "why" it's good -- don't just say it's okay or fine or "works".

2. Be optimistic. People need to stop being so pessimistic about this community...pessimism may be healthy in small doses, but not when it shatters motivation.

3. People need to stop being obnoxious when pointing out issues. There is a pretty obvious reason why civilization thrives on a certain minimum standard of decency. If you have a problem, address it directly yet politely. That's the key. Many people have the directness of criticism down pat -- especially on the internet where they do not have to worry about the awkwardness of critique in person -- but the latter part eludes people. Don't say "your game sucks" -- say "your game needs work in the following areas". People will actually listen to you and won't tune you out when you inevitably resort to obnoxious ways to prove your point because you cannot drive it home to begin with.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't think you know what optimistic means. It has nothing to do with being decent or obnoxious and has nothing to do with social interaction.

If you actually meant people should be more optimistic, then... I guess that's okay, people shouldn't get discouraged, you should keep driving forward and try to make the best game ever. If you put enough work into it, and are good enough at design or get help from people who are, you totally can.

If you actually meant people should be polite, then I disagree. Conveying information with as much clarity as possible comes before all else. You don't need to go out of your way to be rude, but you don't need to go out of your way to be polite, either. If being more civil would either make your argument weaker or distract people from the argument, then don't do it. Truth and knowledge come above all else.
People need to stop being so pessimistic about this community and need to stop being obnoxious when pointing out issues. There is a pretty obvious reason why civilization thrives on a certain minimum standard of decency. If you have a problem, address it directly yet politely. That's the key. Many people have the directness of criticism down pat -- especially on the internet where they do not have to worry about the awkwardness of critique in person -- but the latter part eludes people. Don't say "your game sucks" -- say "your game needs work in the following areas". People will actually listen to you and won't tune you out when you inevitably resort to obnoxious ways to prove your point because you cannot drive it home to begin with.

I agree, to an extent. Though I'm not sure if I would call it optimism. If you're going to rage on someone's game, pick a good reason. While you're at it, be concise and descriptive about it. Craze does this shit sometimes and YDS, nothing against you; but you do it too. Just raging doesn't make a review / playthrough funny, it takes a certain measure of wit and execution to do the "angry player" thing properly.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=LockeZ
I don't think you know what optimistic means. It has nothing to do with being decent or obnoxious and has nothing to do with social interaction.

I know what the word means. There was an "and" after making that comment. Fixed as another number point.

author=LockeZ
If you actually meant people should be polite, then I disagree. Conveying information with as much clarity as possible comes before all else. You don't need to go out of your way to be rude, but you don't need to go out of your way to be polite, either. If being more civil would either make your argument weaker or distract people from the argument, then don't do it. Truth and knowledge come above all else.

There's a difference between being all happy-go-lucky and choosing wording that is less jaded, especially when giving feedback. Of course, there are definitely some situations where you want to be blunt, such as dealing with site offenders and people who just won't comprehend what you are communicating any other way. However, being unnecessarily aggressive and heated puts the other person's guard up and prevents them from absorbing what you have to say. They will focus on the intent of your behavior rather than the content of your message.

Plus there's a difference between being blunt and being rude. One can be blunt by saying "I didn't like your game", but they are not being rude by saying "your game is a piece of garbage". Same point, less insulting and less stinging for the receiver.
LockeZ
But if the game is a piece of garbage, then they should know. They should know that it's not just that I didn't like it. They need to know everything that's bad about it so that they can fix it as well as possible.

If they're so upset by this that they don't fix the problems, then I don't really consider it a loss. If I hadn't pointed out the problems, they wouldn't have fixed them anyway. If they can't handle learning that their game has severe problems without having a breakdown, then they're not cut out for creating things and should find a non-creative hobby or get counseling.

In short, just say exactly what you mean. Giving inaccurate feedback helps no one.
In short, just say exactly what you mean. Giving inaccurate feedback helps no one.

...That's not what he's trying to say. At all.

Yeah LockeZ, I think, while you have some good points in general, you're missing out on what I really mean to say in this topic.
LockeZ
I know what you're really trying to say, I'm just objecting to some of the minor points you brought up in the process of trying to say that.