MY COMMUNITY (ONIROMANCIE)

Pages: first prev 123 next last
I wonder how many of these projects will ever get finished (let alone get translated to English)?

Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
@physal: Not many. As far as I know, I'm the only one who translates games in my community. If I was paid for it, I'd love to translate Aedemphia but it's just way too huge to do on a volunteer basis (I think it's about 30+ hours of gameplay now).

I prepared a new batch of screenshots from different artists:

Sash:

Molok:

Dirzzt:

Falco:

Roi of the Suisse:

Karreg:

Mortis Ghost, exaheva:

Monos:

Maximus:

Sylvanor:

I notice most art styles are drawn.

My game has original art, but I do it with pixel art. Does drawing it by hand make the process go any faster? I dunno, but it seems very effective.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
These are really beautiful screenshots, but I can only imagine that these games rarely get finished. Drawing graphics like these for an RPG with a decent length would be brutal. You'd need a huge team... or maybe the Europeans just have a way better work ethic than us.

Speaking of hand-drawn art, a lot of these screens remind me of Wilfred the Hero, which is a beautiful game with custom art that saddens me by not being finished.

Still... I would love to see more games like this, but we'd need way more dedicated artists and pixel artists.
author=Creation
@crimson: we have a problem with finished games (most games end up as demos)

Yeah, that is the biggest drawback for intensely beautiful games like this.

*cranks out another RTP masterpiece*
These are really great. Like even beyond custom graphics the settings and characters seem so far away from generic epic fantasy/postapocalypse worlds. I mean

author=Creation
Mortis Ghost, exaheva:

You could probably make up even just the scenario shown in this screenshot with a creative use of ripped graphics (sampledelica...) but there's noone really doing this! I mean even charas-project has a bunch of weird stuff you can scavenge and reassemble but instead of bizarre little robot dudes and monsters hammered together out of odss and ends as protagonists so many games just seem to have the same generic anime warriors over and over. I remember just seeing the character design for Wilfred in Wilfred The Hero and being completely blown away at the possibilities that it seemed to imply, how it seemed to suggest a whole new way of thinking about boring and overused concepts which could be smart and evocative instead of plodding and overliteral, and some of the screens here suggest kind of the same thing. I am generally suspicious when game designers salivate over pretty screenshots for unreleased games but in this case I think it's more a matter of uh horizons being opened up than just worthless chapset onanism.
While I think these screenshots are absolutely beautiful, I guess I'm on the opposite end of what catmitts is saying, I never really liked bizarre stuff simply for the sake of being different. I try to get into it, all the time, but I dunno...just never really struck with me. I think Skullmonkeys, that old game for Playstation (that was based on the Neverhood universe) was the only 'weird' thing that I ever really liked. I'm sort of a down to earth person in what I enjoy, and thus I could never really get into far out stuff like this.

They are gorgeous, though.
I can agree and disagree with catmitt's viewpoint. While I can appreciate a surreal, even provocative piece of work, I do not think that their presence should discount the familiar altogether.

Depending on my mood, I will go for something like Space Funeral and Wilfred The Hero, while other times, I can go for the mundane or contrived. As long as a piece focuses on something and does it well, I'm not bothered by what it is, unless it is something I generally do not care for.

However, I'm one of those guys who sees value in almost every piece, whether it's abstract or concrete. Perhaps I'm too idealistic or optimistic, but even a cliche High Fantasy has some merit. I do not like to discount works simply because they are overused or I do not care for them.

It's just such a shame that these games are never finished, though. I'd like to explore some of these.
So I joined Oniromancie!

Now to muddle my way through the french forums...
Creation
@kentona: Yeah, it's great to see you over there. Some of your games were quite popular I understand.

@Rad: I think you'd need to ask the authors personally. Sylvanor is surprisingly fast at drawing stuff, but I don't know about the other guys. I'll try to convince them to register over here.

@catmitt: Mortis and Exaheva are in a world of their own :). Mortis already finished a game called Off which is really out there (a baseball player set out to cleanse the world from evil).

I couldn't agree more. I think we (at Oniromancie) generally encourage pretty and handmade stuff with their own styles. You can look at a screen and know it's from Kenetec or Sylvanor or Lunn.

I know your game and I think you would *love* Off. It's really, really different.

Those are shots from the English translation which I started (and have yet to finish):

And some related art:

You'll need to read French though.

''Chemin de Croix'' was also popular at some point but it was cancelled (unfortunately):

We also get loads of not so original project but I thought you wouldn't really be interested in those as they're pretty common in every community.

Another really nice drawing from Sylvanor:
http://aedemphia.warparadise.com/artworks/aredas.png

And another one:
http://aedemphia.warparadise.com/artworks/ufa.png

Hotel is another gem which unfortunately got cancelled.

That "Off" game looks interesting. I thought you were done translating for now. :p

Such a shame "Hotel" was cancelled. From the video, I probably would've loved playing it.
Creation
I am, I started translating Off before (and have yet to finish it) :).

I had the same reaction about Hotel (and so did many, many other members).
That Off game looks like a hoot, it reminds me a lot of an english-speaking-community game called Ghosts Of Aliens by SwordOfKings128. It's a completed game with custom music and graphics and it's really good (big ups to da custom engspeak rmers!!!!!!! much love!!!!)

uh doesnt really have anything to do with oniromancie but you know ON THE SUBJECT OF NEAT LOOKING GAMES.
Creation
It does look awfully similar (especially the combats), thanks for letting me know.

I hope more of you guys come over to present your games. Although we have our share of xenophoes, I think most of our members would be really interested in seeing what you've done. Ocean Dream has already received some quality feedback for his game from Shin and Persephone (two of our members) and we're all looking forward YDS next game (among other things). We've also read the debate about the featured game ;).

Kenetec:

RaZ:

Immu (that's the creator of the Heirs of Techcatl):

Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
Oniromancie is a fantastic site. I see something cool and inspiring there every time I visit. Long live euroRM!
Creation
I tried to have a menus translated so that it would be more convenient for non-French speaking members but some members disagreed, saying you guys would need to adapt to the way the forum is.

I decided to make this guide for you guys so you can browse around the forum without too much trouble as I disagree with the statement above.

A Guide to Oniromancie
1. Click here to get to the forum
2. Look at the picture to register

3. Fill in the following information:

A: Username
B: e-mail address
C: password
4. Once you've done that, you'll receive the typical registration email. Click on the link to confirm registration.
5. Here are the most important sections:

A: Introduction topic
B: Completed Games
C: Advanced Games (if you have a demo already or if you have quite a bit done on your game)
D: New Games (for new games, if you just got started).

I hope it helps.

PS: Keep in mind that I carefully hand picked the best looking projects. Don't expect everything to be awesome or you'll be disappointed. There's is quite a lot of RTP games out there and other kinds of fan games.
I've just joined. J'ai besoin de pratiquer mon français.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I've browsed that site once or twice. A while back a user called mtarzaim actually translated one of my articles and posted it on that site. I was pretty flattered! I wonder if anything else from RMN has migrated there?

Anyway, it is great to see the community being able to bridge cultural differences, largely in thanks to people like you who are able to help us cross language barriers. Thanks for sharing this stuff with us.
I won't join, Everyone'd hate me for the overuse of Google Translate. My french is as gook as my... Jamaican. As if that even existed. Well, maybe it does, but-
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Nice looking stuff! Don't suppose any of those graphical resources are public domain, huh?

...didn't think so.
Pages: first prev 123 next last