VXP CHAIN GAME

Pages: first 123 next last
Okay, so a good portion of our community use RPG Maker VX or XP, but unfortunately even more people use 2k3, so when it comes to Befuddle Quests and chain games and whatever else, the people that decided to actually make their games legally get left out. So basically what I'm thinking is from now on, us VXP people should have our own version of whatever cool things the 2k3 people are doing, instead of using 2k3 or just whining(which was what I was planning on doing before I decided on this). Hopefully this'll set some kind of trend for the future.

So, there are some things we'd have to decide on for this. Which of the two makers do we use? Unfortunately, one of the makers still has to be left out(unless someone runs a third clone event x_x), so I think we need to find which one has the most interested users. I personally have both, and while overall I think I prefer XP, they're both fine for me really.

Next, how do we manage switches/encounters? If this is a chain game then I guess if worst comes to worst we can use a database breaker to get more slots.

Do we even want to do a chain game at all? We could finally have our own Befuddle Quest-esque event, or something different again!

What graphics would we use? I'd tend towards RTP, since it means we're all familiar with what we're working with, but I know a lot of people think differently. If we end up using VX, as well, how do we manage the limited tiles?

So, is there any interest in this kind of event?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I'd advocate a third clone event, actually. All is fair, after all.

I'd take it that you'd run the VX side of things then?
LouisCyphre
uhhhhhhhhhmmmm

...Maybe? I'm not exactly swimming in time, despite what my team-captin power may be. I'd run with a co-coordinator, maybe.
Whoops, I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying you'd run a third clone event. x_x
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'd be interested in helping with this, after all I'd probably be done my portion of the other Chain Game by the time my turn came up! :D
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
While I have no personal interest in a VXP chain game, I'll suggest RMXP be the engine of choice for such an event for a few reasons.

VX's problematic map editor and chipset capabilities would be simply too much of a nuisance in a cooperative setting: graphically skilled people would be alienated by the limit on chipset size and not-so-good mappers will have an even harder time mapping due to VX's ridiculous idea of only 1 layer for mapping.

On the other hand, XP's own share of problems, while certainly annoying in their own right, aren't as critical or hard to address/avoid or workaround as VX's. Writing some small code to add facesets beats switching TileB1 with TileB2 via code and an outside 3rd-party utility any day.
Mapping wise, it is reminiscent of RM2K(3) with an additional layer; this would encourage even RM2K(3) users to participate since mapping is most likely one of the primary reasons they dislike VX (at least it is for me!).
In terms of resources, XP's RTP comes with a larger variety of chips than VX and converting RM2K(3) resources to XP's format is practically problem-free. It's also financially easier for anyone who would want to participate but may not have VX ($60 USD) or XP ($30 USD).

Hardcore VX fans will probably argue for VX even with the above points, but XP in my opinion is far better in usability in an environment encompassing multiple creators.
This is the sort of discussion we need to have before we decide which to use(unless there is enough interest and a willing leader for a third group).
I'd go for XP, too.
Even tough I hate the huge resolution, it's just because it's harder to make graphics for it. xD
VX is awesome. Undoubtedly, I do think it's better than XP in terms of possibilities. BUT, in fact, XP is far easier / simpler to create something decent. Yeah, I'm basically retyping what KingArtur has said, so...
Does anybody want to speak for VX? Graphically everything is a lot easier to work with in XP, both resource-wise and usage-wise. For instance, XP actually has graphics to go with its battlers(something that has been really pissing me off with VX.) VX, however, has greater possibilities for battles without too much custom work, but I don't know if we'd want to plug this game full of scripts anyway.
LouisCyphre
They both have about the same capabilities. VX leans towards combat; XP leans towards graphics.

Thus, XP wins because this is RMN and pretties.

http://wiki.pockethouse.com/index.php?title=RPG_Maker_XP_vs_RPG_Maker_VX
I suppose that XP wins on that front(until someone comes in arguing for VX madly). I guess the real issue is which will allow the most interested users to join in.

Speaking of which, how many people do we let join in? If we leave it open it'll never get finished. Thoughts?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
They both have about the same capabilities. VX leans towards combat; XP leans towards graphics.
I am going under a number of assumptions when I am gauging which engine will be more suited for this event:

1. The majority of people taking part will likely not be skilled at programming. This leaves things like VX's noteboxes and RGSS2 code structure out of the scope of this discussion and possibly the event itself.
2. The majority of people will prefer to work inside the editor if possible. This alienates 3rd party utilities like SwapXT.
3. The majority of people will have varying levels of graphical skills, ranging from full-on drawing abilities to simple chipset or charaset edits. RMXP favors such people, people that RM2K(3) also encourage.
4. A number of people will not be familiar with or dislike the idea of "parallax mapping", due mainly in part to the chipset-based mapping we've all grown accustomed to through RM2K(3) and RMXP.
5. Usability beating out everything else thinkable as this is a cooperative team event. If even one person feels alienated by the editor or engine, the entire thing will flop. XP has a smaller chance of that occuring compared to VX.

This is a team event, meaning that usability catering to the lowest appropriate common denominator is the most important factor above all else to ensure the event succeeds and everyone involved can contribute their share of the game.

When looked at from an objective point of view, I feel that RMXP will win out over RMVX for the above assumptions and reasons I stated in my post above. The exact same assumptions and reasons that I believe are also what leads to RM2K(3) being consistently chosen for events like this.
XP trips up DEP when DEP is on optout mode and I can't figure out how to add it to the white list :( (as in, I add it but RMXP still trips it up)
LouisCyphre
Point 5 is completely inverse and Point 4 is cock-bendingly unnecessary but all other points hold. Now it comes to consensus.
author=GreatRedSpirit
XP trips up DEP when DEP is on optout mode and I can't figure out how to add it to the white list :( (as in, I add it but RMXP still trips it up)
If you're using Vista you have to run it as an admin. That's about as much as I can help though. ;(

author=ChaosProductions
Point 5 is completely inverse

I dunno, I mean I think they're both equally usable, and if anything the extra difficulty with mapping makes VX a bit more difficult to use.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Im in. XP would be better. Eh, i have every PC RM known to man kind. I think.
Son of a bitch, I just reinstalled RMXP, added it to the DEP white list, and it started! (running it as an admin wouldn't let it bypass DEP otherwise it would be a hilariously ineffective security measure)

I'm still for RMVX, noteboxes aren't hard to use nor are they required for people to use. We can choose a common script library (like Melody) beforehand, decide on some basic mechanics, and let it rip. No need for people to go into scripts or noteboxes if they don't want to and I'd imagine we'd want to pick a common tileset beforehand so we can avoid the "classic rm2k look" of mismashed tilesets anyways.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I've got both programs, and am equally useless in both. So, it's all good! :D
author=GreatRedSpirit
Son of a bitch, I just reinstalled RMXP, added it to the DEP white list, and it started! (running it as an admin wouldn't let it bypass DEP otherwise it would be a hilariously ineffective security measure)

I'm still for RMVX, noteboxes aren't hard to use nor are they required for people to use. We can choose a common script library (like Melody) beforehand, decide on some basic mechanics, and let it rip. No need for people to go into scripts or noteboxes if they don't want to and I'd imagine we'd want to pick a common tileset beforehand so we can avoid the "classic rm2k look" of mismashed tilesets anyways.

This.
VX is better gameplay wise and XP is only good for pretties but hard to use for technical stuff (imho)
of course a lot will disagree but hell =w=)/
Pages: first 123 next last