RUNNING SYSTEM ISSUES [2K3]

Pages: 1
Hey I've been trying to implement a simple walk/run system into my game using http://rpgmaker.net/tutorials/142/ <- this tutorial.

The system runs just fine, I even added a trigger switch so that I could turn the walk/run system off during cut-scenes.. However it appears that whilst the walk/run parallel process is ON - NO events work whatsoever. Which means my game's suddenly become completely sequence-breakable.

For example, shortly after the player gains full control over the character there's a couple "on touch" activated events that require the player to run into the event, however, when the run/walk parallel process is ON, nothing happens when the character walks over the event-ed tile.

Does anybody have any idea why this is happening and/or what I could do about it?
My Rm2k3 game had at least a few parallel processes always running and my teleport events worked fine. There might be a problem if you're using a looping hero movement command. How exactly are your commands for walking/running structured?
I've pretty much copied the tutorial verbatim. So that means the parallel process common event contains a conditional branch that says:

"If SHIFT key is "on" then call common event - hero.run (hero run contains "move event:Hero - decrease walk speed,decrease walk speed,decrease walk speed,decrease walk speed (to set the base level of speed), Increase walk speed, Increase walk speed, Increase walk speed

Else (if SHIFT key is not "on)

Call common event - hero.walk (which is the same, except with ONE less "increase" making it one speed level slower).
Ah, I'm pretty sure that's your problem, the hero move command is being looped. Just add one more conditional with a switch:

If SHIFT key is "on"
and if RUN (switch) is off,
then: turn RUN on, and make the hero speed adjustment.

Else,
if RUN is on,
then: turn RUN off, slow the hero down.

That way, the move call is only being made once and should work as you describe.
Pages: 1