WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE ON THE FRONTPAGE?

Pages: 1
This is a brainstorming topic. Also realize that now that I am the only guy you have left that can (theoretically) do this kind of stuff that you have to keep your ideas within reason/simple. I have no idea how to do things like, say, having 3 featured games that rotate on a regular schedule, or some widget that will allow you to toggle between views, or customizable frontpage components. I can't do anything like that.

Here's what I like:
I like having the featured game, the Latest News posts (the ones where I pin things to the frontpage). I do like knowing what the latest articles and reviews are, but I do notice that sometimes that gets stagnant. I miss the random screenshots, but I do see the value in knowing what the latest images are (but whether that warrants frontpage space, I don't know).

I have my own ideas, but before I formulate them formally I am going to dig into the code to see how it all works and to get a better idea of what is possible (for me) to do.

In the meantime, I am looking to ideas, feedback, and discussion.
author=Feldschlacht IV
What I'm suggesting is exactly what it says on the box; a list of 'Featured Games' (or something like it) directly on the homepage itself, akin to the Newgrounds example (I'm not suggesting we be like Newgrounds, nor is this idea unique to them either). Such an idea wouldn't come from what the Staff thinks is best, in fact, there wouldn't be anything subjective about it. The 'Most Popular Games/Blogs/Userpages' what have you would be selected directly from how many views/downloads/comments/whatever it had, it would be strictly by the numbers. It could be on a week to week basis so things can stay new for the users and the players.

author=Feldschlacht IV
Maybe a "most viewed games" or a "most downloaded games" or something might be appropriate.
Yeah, I've been parroting this for about a half month now. Hopefully someone is listening, but a confirmation either way is nice.
Yeah realize that we had no one do to this really since October, and that it'll still take me like a month to implement anything. So if you were expecting radical change and quick uptake you were mistaken.

EDIT:
And in the meantime I did initiate the site stats thread, so someone was listening.
Nah nah, not a radical change or anything, but at least 'Hey that's a good idea Mog we'll see what we can do/That idea really sucks shit Mog we're not doing it', you know?
It doesn't have to be on the frontpage but I really liked the random screenshots.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
We really need to move passed the "I miss random screenshots" phase and into the discussion at hand.

Latest Games to Play really needs to go, I think. It's one of the main culprits of "RMN LOVES SONIC FANGAMS" syndrome - it's a very prominent space on the frontpage that really takes no effort to achieve for your game.

Breakdown:

Featured Game needs to showcase triple-A titles, not hidden gems. Hidden Gems could be a seperate, less prominent space.

The Latest could be renamed "News" or some such but otherwise is perfect the way it is.

Latest Games to Play needs to go.

Latest Blog Posts, Images, and Posts can stay where it is.

Latest Articles and Reviews are fine as is.

I'd like to see Hidden Gem space, and perhaps a Most Active Games section based on number of posts in the last month or so. But that's for another time.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Latest Games to Play really needs to go, I think. It's one of the main culprits of "RMN LOVES SONIC FANGAMS" syndrome - it's a very prominent space on the frontpage that really takes no effort to achieve for your game.
Is this a problem you have with the system or instead the baseline level of quality that the staff goes by? If your problem is with the latter, the system isn't the thing that is to blame but rather the staff behind accepting submissions. Now, I personally think they're doing a fine job, but each of us have our opinions on the matter.

As for the actual system of Latest Games to Play, I appreciate it; it's confounding as it is to browse through games and try and find something interesting. With Latest Games to Play, multiple new games (or older games with new releases) that can be played right now are featured on the front page. What is there to hate?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
The only thing to hate is SONIC AND THE SEVEN DRAGONS being on the front page.
KingArthur
Of that problem, I believe it's more important to refuse ass games rather than remove Latest Games to Play and pretend the problem doesn't exist.

Incidentally, the current lineup under Latest Games to Play all look interesting and promising.
I wish...I dunno, I wish it looked more...exciting? I have less of an issue with the content as I do with the presentation. RMN definitely could use its own flair to make people excited to look around and explore the site. As of right now I could really make an argument of how stark and sterile things can look around here sometimes.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
yeah, i think Latest Games to Play would function better under the Games page. 'here is all the latest shit good or ass' isn't really something you want on your front page, because at any given time, there can be ass on your shit.

Don't make ass games applies here, and all the conversations about submission standards do as well. but this topic isn't about what games we want accepted, this is about how the frontpage should be used to best benefit the site.
chaos is right- the front page should be used to show off the really extreme awesomesauce shit. thae front page sets the bar for the whole community, since it's the first thing everyone sees when they come to the site- whether they're old or new, have an account or don't, or make games/don't. hidden gems have a place on said front page, but it should be somewhere a little ways down on the front page.

author=chaos[b
Featured Game needs to showcase triple-A titles, not hidden gems. Hidden Gems could be a seperate, less prominent space.

^ this this and a thousand times this.
KingArthur
'here is all the latest shit good or ass' isn't really something you want on your front page, because at any given time, there can be ass on your shit.
Completely ignoring the "ass" aspect for a second, exactly what is wrong with showcasing the latest downloads on a site that is centered around game/project hosting? On the contrary, I'd expect such a feature from such a website. It gives an honest peek of what to expect when/if I go into the Games section proper.

Now to address the "ass" aspect: If "ass games crap up the front page" is the only real reason, then that's not exactly a problem with Latest Games to Play so much as it is what kind of games the community makes and the staff accepts. If 7 Dragons crapped up the front page it wasn't because Latest Games to Play was there, it was because the staff accepted it; place blame where it belongs.

chaos is right- the front page should be used to show off the really extreme awesomesauce shit.
While I agree with you to a point, I believe we need to face facts and be honest with what we put up on the front page. Yes, a triple A masterpiece artwork of a game will decorate the front page extremely well and give off a very positive image, but is that representative of what we as a majority do? I agree with you that the front page can use such content, but I have reservations about showcasing nothing but such games. I mean, since when did we become so damn elitist?
tardis
author=undefined
but I have reservations about showcasing nothing but such games. I mean, since when did we become so damn elitist?

you're awfully defensive about this stuff. take it easy, bro. we cool.

anyway.
since when is showcasing the community's best elitist? we aren't saying "WE ONLY ACCEPT GAMES OF THIS CALIBER THAT MEET THIS LIST OF STRINGENT SPECIFICATIONS," we're showing off the best stuff that has come about as a result of the community existing and making stuff. and don't tell me 'well it's implied,' because that sucks as an argument. to give some context to my comment about 'setting the bar'- the front page should be used for showcasing games that are well-made. no, i am not saying 'games that are fun,' i am saying 'games that are well made.' this has no bearing on graphics, or any of that. you said yourself, this is a community built around game developers and hosting games. let's showcase that by showcasing development done well.
i digress.
the front page should be used to showcase well-made games that will help set the bar for future game projects. musicians are influenced by good music, game developers are influenced by good games. providing quicker and easier access to some of the best stuff the community has turned out, combined with a positive attitude towards game-making in general (even if it is just as a hobby) will foster the creation of better-quality games in the future.

tl;dr this is about the future bro think of the children
Removing Latest Games to Play would be a gigantic loss. I check that thing everyday.
Latest Games to Play should stay.

It's pretty much the only time I see new games. I rarely go into the Games section and browse for something. I did that once and already downloaded everything that got my interest. Since I log into the site everyday that section allows me to see every single game that gets released. Nothing will ever sneak by. That's the only way I learn about new games now. I don't go into games and search by last updated because I have a real-time gauge for that on the front page.

Not to mention the attention your game will get. Every time I release a demo and it's in Latest Games I see lots of traffic. As soon as it drops off, so does the traffic :/ It's a great way for everybody to share in the free publicity, not just the games some of us feel should get more attention (hidden gems, or "well made games"). Isn't that why we have subscriptions? If a game is good people will remember it or subscribe to it.

I don't really have many suggestions for new things. I think the layout is perfect. It's simple, compact, and easy to navigate while showing new and important information. Change isn't always good. Anybody see the new MySpace?

The only thing I would like to see changed is that in the Latest Posts section we don't see posts from any topic in the "Moronic" section or the dump. It should be limited to game pages and legitimate topics.
author=undefined
It doesn't have to be on the frontpage but I really liked the random screenshots.

I would like these back as well. My favorite way to find games.
tardis
i still think Latest Games to Play would work better on the Games page. it'd make the Games page a lot less intimidating to look through for a more casual viewer who's not looking for anything in particular, rather than being set up for someone who knows generally what they're looking for. it'd also add some punch and variety to the Games page, which right now just looks like a boring list with a search function.
KingArthur
Seeing as I'm not getting through, I'll be blunt: It pains me to think that on a website centered on game/project hosting we would not want to showcase the hottest (as in "hot out of the oven"), latest releases. Am I the only one that sees a problem with the idea? What is the driving reason behind this suggestion?

the front page should be used to showcase well-made games that will help set the bar for future game projects. musicians are influenced by good music, game developers are influenced by good games. providing quicker and easier access to some of the best stuff the community has turned out, combined with a positive attitude towards game-making in general (even if it is just as a hobby) will foster the creation of better-quality games in the future.
There needs to be a balance between showcasing "triple A" games, "hidden gem"-type of games, and releases that just came out of the creativity oven. What's the point in making games (at least to showcase on RMN) if the front page is always plastered with nothing but the likes of EWAF and AAG? What about games like LL which has some form of audience despite its "controversy"? What about games like Seraphic Blue, which I'd have overlooked without Latest Games to Play?

One needs to remember that the front page needs to be an area for showcasing games that people put honest effort into (and that others might enjoy) just as much as it needs to showcase the true classics and masterpieces.
author=undefined
i still think Latest Games to Play would work better on the Games page. it'd make the Games page a lot less intimidating to look through for a more casual viewer who's not looking for anything in particular, rather than being set up for someone who knows generally what they're looking for. it'd also add some punch and variety to the Games page, which right now just looks like a boring list with a search function.

The only problem I see with that is a person would have to click on Games to get to see Latest Games. A person who comes to the site looking for games will find it because they have to go Games in the first place. Success. (Plus if someone comes to the site they will see Latest Games first, and then go to Games if they don't find something good, so I don't see how moving Latest Games will really change anything in that respect)

However, I don't come to the site to look for games but I always see the Latest Games. Sometimes I will see a new game that looks cool and it gets my attention so I end up playing the game(or subscribing) even if I never intended on that.

It's that type of publicity that is very helpful for everyone, whether you made a great game or not. Latest Games showcases games on a level playing feild, as opposed to a hidden gem(or similar) section which is giving more publicity to games that are probably getting it already(because we all saw their release in Latest Games)

Also, it just fits in with the theme of the main page. Latest Posts, Latest Blogs, Latest Screens, Latest Reviews, Latest Article, THE Latest.
Pages: 1