OLD SCHOOL DEBATE. CTR VS. MK64, VS. DKR, VS. SP

Pages: first 12 next last
What was your favorite Kart racing game in the Ps1/N64 era. The 4 games usually argued about are:

Crash Team Racing.

Mario Kart 64

Diddy kong racing, and last but not least:

Speed Punks (Or Speed Freaks in Europe, but I think Punks is actually a better title but...)

Or any other game not mentioned.

I found that Crash Team Racing was the best game at the time, It looked better and had more track detail then all the other games.

It has fair weapons, an advanced boostng system, power sliding, platforming time actions, shortcuts, and ways to get around the competition. In this case, you actually need to use skill to win races instead of luck 80% of the time. (Talking to you MarioKart.)

Sure, Speed punks had great kart control. But CTR had LEGENDARY KART control. Kart racing to this day doesn't have the kart control of CTR! (Or Speed Punks either)

More characters with different track characteristics.

Fun boss battles, and in a racing game, you usually don't see boss'

It uses Polygonal characters (Like SP and DKR) Mario Kart used Sprites.)

It had a great versus and arcade mode.

Heck, it had more modes in general.

Multiplayer is a tie between Speed Punks and CTR. Both were fantastic.

CTR had the best battle mode (And most fair battle mode) Of all choices.

Oh, and a 1 player story mode that progressed in the game complete with exploration better than DKRS and the fact that the tracks have a lot of replay value because of CTR tokens and Time trial races.

So CTR get first for me.

Second goes to Speed Punks since it has great kart control, just some tracks don't take advantage of it. Speed Punks also had a real interesting boost system as well.

3rd would be DKR, as it had adventuring and better kart control in some cases as well. It also had better track designs then Mario Kart.

Mario Kart is 4th for various reasons, but the most important are it's multi-player. Without it, Mario Kart wouldn't be in the argument. It virtually has no single player mode, and the karts don't animate very well. It looks worse in some cases then Gex: Enter the Gecko, which was a fun game with good music, but it looked like ****e. It's weapon system is completely unfair that you need luck most of the time to win. It's multi-player is also completely unfair in a lot of cases (Stars and Red Shells should not be in battle mode at ALL.) Also, Karts control like the drivers are on crack.

It isn't a, "It's Nintendo so it sucks" thread since I know people are going to say that, but I really find Crash Team racing to be the best Kart racer that gen, and in some cases, this gen as well. They took MKart and DKR, twisted it up, and made it into a legendary game. Which ironically, was the last Crash game made by Naughty Dogg.

Speed Punks tried to be a relaxing racing game and that really made off as well.

For those Sony/Nintendo haters, Mario Kart was played for a long time before Crash Team Racing was played. I value opinions, you can like Speed Punks, even DKR more than crash, or Mkart. But if I hear anyone say that Mkart is better than CTR you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.
CTR, that was the good ol' days. I remember the disc not being able to read one day and on, so we even bought a new copy. Since we never had a N64, we had a Playstation and went with the Crash Bandicoot series.
The magic broke when the series reached Playstation 2 though...
Yeah, in terms of technical quality and fun factor, Crash Team Racing is the best kart racing game of its kind. Seriously.
author=undefined
CTR, that was the good ol' days. I remember the disc not being able to read one day and on, so we even bought a new copy. Since we never had a N64, we had a Playstation and went with the Crash Bandicoot series.
The magic broke when the series reached Playstation 2 though...

How? Twinsanity, and Wrath of Cortex where not that bad, it's just Crash games at the time had horrid delays in game releases. The GBA games were good. In fact, I think the GBA version of Nitro Kart is closer to CTR than the console Nitro Kart, therefore, making Crash Nitro Kart GBA, the best racing game on the GBA.

But yeah CTR is still great to play, and the one player adventure mode is still massive.

author=undefined
Yeah, in terms of technical quality and fun factor, Crash Team Racing is the best kart racing game of its kind. Seriously.

I mean, it's hard to think of Ps1 or N64 games off racing genres that looked or played as good.
Yeah the one player mode, with its exploration thing, is leagues more fun than some platformers, period. CTR really was a stellar game.
The horrid truth is you can compar Mario Kart's graphics and level design to GEX, and fun as it is GEX is horrible.

Speed Punks actually looks more realistic then Crash, but Crash still looks better and has better design.
author=jakandsig
text
We did get Wrath of Cortex, but something didn't feel right. The levels and bosses felt boring somehow.
Also, the stage loading time was disastrous. It took about 2 MINUTES of loading screen to get to a selected stage(Yeah, we timed it).
It was painful, but I still finished the game. This is one of the reason I dropped the interest in later releases.
This would depend on which version you got. But Wrath of Cortex, was basically Crash Bandicoot 3, minus the cool part. Oh and Technically, it's the same boss over and over, but the levels were pretty good though.
what's with all these new games?
author=undefined

Yeah what do you mean? CTR is all the way back from PS1.
Yet, it's better than all/most the Kart racing games on the Wii, Ps3, and 360.
author=undefined
don't worry kentona, I'll still play pong with you

(I only recognize Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing ;( )
CTR is the best racer, the most charming and the most fun. sorry guys, it's a whitewash

i had my copy of CTR stolen and i have no qualms about pirating it right now
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
Oh man, CTR all the way <3 I still play it sometimes even now.

Hmm, no MKart fan trying to say Mkart is better yet. That means the people on RMN has common sense.
I'll stick up for Mario Kart because that is what we had growing up. Maybe the other games had more map/background detail or whatever, but I mean at the time I think MK had pretty sweet graphics. Especially the polygons like the item boxs. I can remember the fog effect on the chocolate mountain stage, that was a new sight in games: fog. The biggest draw were the characters. I never liked diddy or crash, plus any other characters were silly lesser known baddies/buddies. But come on...Mario and the gang. At least MK had the 4 player action, on our tiny tv's haha

I heard of Diddy Racing but never played.

Never heard of the other 2. I may get CTR just to see what the fuss is about.
Errors have been spotted.
1. Characters in carts are sprites
2.Fog was used to block the excessive blockyness of that stage.
3.Fog was not new.
4.CTR had for players.
5.Gex had better looking visuals.

Otherwise, nice opinion.
Pages: first 12 next last