PS3 HACKED WIDE OPEN - WATCH PS3 SOFTWARE SALES COLLAPSE IN 2011

Pages: 1
http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-Sony-s-PS3-Security-is-Epic-Fail-Videos-Within&s=26b171031525193d18213f4f5e2e3a26

From what I understand, this lets you sign and run any code you want, meaning you don't even need to hack your PS3 to run pirated games (come on, the number of people running legitimate homebrew is probably infinitesimal) or any dongle/flashcart/etc. And due to the way the exploit works, it doesn't seem like something Sony can ever fix with a firmware update. It'll be interesting to see if PS3 software sales collapse in 2011.
I read an article similar to this one just now. I don't think this will completely collapse the PS3 sales. Look at all the other consoles that are hacked. They are still successful having thousands/millions of people buying their game. I think it's all determined on whether you have a strong fanbase or not. Most people buy games because they know it's worth it and they want to support the developers.
As for the exploit, however, that's Sony's problem. It's amazing how the PS3 was the last console to remain unhackable but it was the most vulnerable.
drgnlord: The key difference here is the ease of piracy. For a DS, you need to get a flash cart. Sure, they sell them like water in the UK, maybe, but you still have to get your flash cart, load it up, etc. I believe to crack the 360 you need to open it up, flash the firmware; PSP and Wii IIRC involve loading custom firmware, etc. And for PSP, Wii, and 360, you may have to use downgraders, dodge system updates, etc. But with this PS3 hack, none of that is necessary. You'll be able to download the game and run it. Never have to worry about firmware updates, etc, because Sony can't fix this. So, with a completely open platform, in which piracy is stupidly easy and convenient, what will happen to software sales?
How do you get games onto the PS3 to play it?

*edit*
If you say Blue ray burner that's a $100 purchase as it isn't standard on computers like DVD players so it's just like buying a $30 flash card for the DS which is still the most popular gaming device this generation and it isn't because of piracy

*reedit*
Not that it'll stop devs/publishers saying piracy is the cause that whatever game didn't meat quota
Look at the PC. It's also the same concept as to what you're saying. The PC has the most pirated games by a milestone, but developers still continue to produce games for it. Even with pirates, the PC game sales are still pretty high.
I actually know some people who refuse to pirate games. They said it's much easier to buy the game than anything because you have to wait to download it.
But I understand where you're coming from. We won't know how it will affect the PS3 industry until it comes.

EDIT:
If you say Blue ray burner that's a $100 purchase as it isn't standard on computers like DVD players so it's just like buying a $30 flash card for the DS which is still the most popular gaming device this generation and it isn't because of piracy
People can just download it and run it through the hard drive of the PS3.
author=iishenron
Wii...downgraders, dodge system updates, etc.

not anymore B)
author=drgn_lord50
People can just download it and run it through the hard drive of the PS3.

Somebody should make a PS3 BT client and directly download+extract games straight to the HD!
author=GreatRedSpirit
Somebody should make a PS3 BT client and directly download+extract games straight to the HD!

That's actually not a bad idea. Or you could probably run the BT through Linux.
Yeah, I'm being a goof and not really thinking of all the things you can do with all this
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Watch PS3 Software sales collapse in 2011

This, like any other overly exaggerated piece of news, will turn out to be nothing noteworthy and be forgotten to history in about a month's time.
Yes but can this be understood by a drunken frat boy?
author=drgn_lord50
I read an article similar to this one just now. I don't think this will completely collapse the PS3 sales. Look at all the other consoles that are hacked. They are still successful having thousands/millions of people buying their game. I think it's all determined on whether you have a strong fanbase or not. Most people buy games because they know it's worth it and they want to support the developers.
As for the exploit, however, that's Sony's problem. It's amazing how the PS3 was the last console to remain unhackable but it was the most vulnerable.

The problem with your theory is that it's the same one mentioned when the PSP went through the same thing. PSP sales halted horribly. PS3 will probably be no different.
Sweet, I've been waiting to be able to use my first PS3 online again.

My money is riding on an approximate 0.0000% change in sales directly related to this (if anything, might be one or two extra sales from people who like to try before they buy). I mean come on, it's not like there's ever a case in which large numbers of people who buy software stop when a free version becomes easier to access. Most people who will use this exploit to pirate games wouldn't have bought the game if they couldn't pirate it, so no lost sales.

Edit:
If there is an exploit created that makes use of this that requires no effort whatsoever, as in not even connecting anything into the PS3 it might catch on wider, but beyond that
Iish is back at it again.

Edit:
author=KingArthur
Watch PS3 Software sales collapse in 2011
This, like any other overly exaggerated piece of news, will turn out to be nothing noteworthy and be forgotten to history in about a month's time.

Heavy, heavy emphasis on exaggerated, but given who posted the OP, its to be expected.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Billwilliams
Yes but can this be understood by a drunken frat boy?

^Now all my Xbox friends have a card to play in our debates.
It won't collapse sales. If anything, the redbox game rental for $1 or $2 per night will collapse game sales all around.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Emirpoen
Heavy, heavy emphasis on exaggerated, but given who posted the OP, its to be expected.

I'd just like to say, for the record, that my post was never intended to call out FD or anything.
Pages: 1