WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE MANGA/COMIC RIGHT NOW?

Pages: first 12345 next last

So far I'm on chapter3 of my new all time favorite manga Akira. Although the last books where around 300 pages plus I never noticed the time fly. It would take up way too much space to sum up everything so you can just read all about its epicness at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(manga)

Then when it comes to comics I'll say my favourite might always be The Sandman

Summary:
The Sandman's main character is Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams, who is essentially the anthropomorphic personification of dreams. At the start of the series, Morpheus is captured by an occult ritual and held prisoner for 70 years. Morpheus escapes in the modern day and, after avenging himself upon his captors, sets about rebuilding his kingdom, which has fallen into disrepair in his absence.
In its beginnings, the series is a very dark horror comic. Later, the series evolves into an elaborate fantasy series, incorporating elements of classical and contemporary mythology, ultimately placing its protagonist in the role of a tragic hero.

I know this comics/manga's are "old" but they might always be my favourites. I'm also a huge fan of sci-fi and its oposite fantasy as well as horror comics so these realy hit the nail.

So what do you guys enjoy the most when it comes to graphic novels. Also in your opinion what do you think is better, American comics or Japanese manga?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Like a bit of Naoki Urasawa's work, in particular Monster (which is almost the best anything I have ever read) and 20th/21st Century Boys. They're both really long but filled with interesting characters, plot-twists and pretty much everything else that usually hooks people (except fanservice - go back to Gantz or whatever if you're that way inclined).

Another really notable manga is this horror one called Uzumaki. To anything thinking about reading this, be aware you won't be able to look directly at spirals ever again; I certainly can't.

As for graphics novels outside Japan, haven't read any except Watchmen which was okay I guess.
author=Emanzi
So what do you guys enjoy the most when it comes to graphic novels. Also in your opinion what do you think is better, American comics or Japanese manga?

I prefer European comics. Usually the more comic ones. (I haven't really read any Moebius or things like that) But some of my favorite franco-belgian comics are Johan and Peewit, Lucky Luke, The Smurfs, The Bluecoats and Asterix.

I also dig the Italian Donald Duck comics. (But also Don Rosa, the king of Duck comics. The best graphic novel in the world is probably "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" and I will never decline an opportunity to say just how awesome it is and how it is leagues better than all those lame superhero comics)

Of course as for right now... I don't know. I bought Scott Pilgrim after seeing the movie so that was pretty fun. But I think that's the most recent comic book I've read.
Right now I'm a really big fan of Soul Eater.

author=Shinan
(But also Don Rosa, the king of Duck comics. The best graphic novel in the world is probably "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" and I will never decline an opportunity to say just how awesome it is and how it is leagues better than all those lame superhero comics)

Hell yes
Mmhhh... I've been wanting to read both Akira and The Sandman for some time now, but the Sandman is way too long for my short attention span ;P and I'm afraid of reading Akira only to find many of the things I hated about the movie...

Anyway, all I read these days is pretty much anything related to the Hellboy universe, specially B.P.R.D. which often gets the cooler story arcs imo, hellboy just beats the crap out of things most of time and that's kind of boring, although his latest stories have been just as good or better than many B.P.R.D ones so, hum, yeah...

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/15-374?page=1
Hellboy's badass but I prefer the comics/graphic novels to the movie although the movie is good compared to some other comic book movies gone wrong. Never read too much on it since at the time I was more intrested in spawn.
I really want to read Uzumaki sometime, I've heard alot about it and I'm sure I can find it online somewhere just in the middle of Akira, kind of want to finish one manga/ comic at a time so I don't get too mixed up.

You can read Sandman online at www.comicoo.com and Akira's on www.mangareader.net . Most of the time I read my stuff from online since where I'm at all we have is the mainstream comics e.g batman, spiderman, superman you know the usual super hero save the day stuff that I'm a bit bored of ( of course I'll always love x-men though! )
As for manga it dosent exist here... nope...

Anyway, I can't decide wich one I like better, to me each has their own style and goods and bads:

Manga most of the time is very epic with large volumes, intense fighting scenes and is also most time more "cute" or characterized not exactly realistic however some manga comes very close in terms of realism.
Comics ( American ) Are more classical in terms of art, they usually have amazing color, inking and literature like in sandman, however they are ususally shorter e.g 25 pages per comic and also very wordy, like you get alot of monologues, naration e.t.c while like in Akira their is virtually no naration at all, its all live action happening right now each panel.

I think I slightly lean more to manga though but not exactly enough to say I dislike comics, they where my first love so I cant abandon them just like that. I've red a few European comics but mostly I dont get the language e.g if its in French, Spanish or German so I can't realy comment on that but their cool too.

-------------------------------------------------------

Awesome I found Uzumaki on now my all-time favorite manga site:
http://www.mangareader.net/1358/uzumaki.html
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I've recently picked up the original Spawn comic series, I'm lovin' it.

My local paper would improve a thousand fold if the entire Sunday comics was The Phantom on every page. Instead all I got is trash like Foxtrot and Cancer Funkybean
Ah man, the Phantom. I heard the sad news that they're going to discontinue the Phantom comic over here. I used to read that comic a fair amount when I was a kid, though I haven't picked up a magazine in later years.

I'll be honest though, my favourite thing about The Phantom magazines were always Herman Hedning

Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
One Piece for life

i'm actually re-reading the series for like the 5th time right now.
author=WhiteLion

*throws up arms*

I knew SOMEONE was going to say Scott Pilgrim.
treeghost
a lot better than being a wapanese kiddo
I'm currently reading Super-Conductive Brains Parataxis from Kago Shintarō.

Example:
marimo
Nessiah's Seme-kun
author=Dudesoft
One Piece for life
@kentona

Could you send me a link to this? looks intrsting.

@ tree ghost: That ( Super-Conductive Brains Parataxis from Kago Shintarō ) looks like the kind of horror-sci-fi manga I love. I'll check it out sometime when I'm done with chapter 3 of Akira,

One Piece? I know its famous but don't really know what its about?

Phantoms a classic, too bad its ending but its one of those I remember from way back maybe even before I was able to read. I like the spoof toons they show sometimes on adult swim like space ghost coast to coast lol.

@InfectionFiles: spawn will always be epic, even the long animated series was insane the only disappointment was I think the spawn movie ( from 90's )
I like how he's not the average super-hero like cat woman he has no alignment to good or evil making a very diverse and interesting tale of one of the most epic bad-ass from hell. Sick!
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
I'm reading Lone Wolf and Cub. It's pretty awesome. It's just really, really well written and brilliant (intelligent story and characters). Every single episode has an awesome plot.

I dig the black and white art style:
Pages: first 12345 next last