CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT?

Pages: first prev 12 last
Another reason to avoid basing characters in your friends is that they will realize they're based on them, and pressure you about how you treat the character. They will want more screen time, they will want to be more powerful, they won't want to be killed off.

Do people really encounter this, though?

The author should always make the best decisions for his/her story, and if their friend's avatar has to be killed...well, I'm sure they'll get over it!
That was a joke, why would I want a retard character?(I'd make them alittle bit lesser-intelligient and spontaneous to the point that they come across as alitlle dumb)

author=LockeZ
Another reason to avoid basing characters in your friends is that they will realize they're based on them, and pressure you about how you treat the character. They will want more screen time, they will want to be more powerful, they won't want to be killed off. And even if they don't pressure you, you'll still feel the subconscious pressure of wanting to please your friends. It will interfere with how you write the story and possibly even with how you design the gameplay.

author=mrstinkyfeet
But, what if you want an imbecile character?

If you think people whose only single personality trait is that they are imbeciles are funny and enjoyable and you like watching and listening to them, then this fits in perfectly with what I said. If you don't, then... you don't really want one in your story. Figure out what exactly it is you do want in your story (I suspect what you really want is either just a plot device or just some form of comic relief) and figure out a way to make a character that provides that element but fits within the framework I described.
author=LockeZ
Another reason to avoid basing characters in your friends is that they will realize they're based on them, and pressure you about how you treat the character. They will want more screen time, they will want to be more powerful, they won't want to be killed off. And even if they don't pressure you, you'll still feel the subconscious pressure of wanting to please your friends. It will interfere with how you write the story and possibly even with how you design the gameplay.

In general, if developers or artists let social pressures such as that to influence them, then they won't go anywhere far. Take risks and be proud of the things you do. Don't ever submit to be a people pleaser.
First time double posting, but I guess I should add something at least:

Most who make games to please others find a harder time enjoying what they do.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Yeaster
Do people really encounter this, though?

The author should always make the best decisions for his/her story, and if their friend's avatar has to be killed...well, I'm sure they'll get over it!

Yeah, in crappy RPG Maker games, it's... extremely common. The game I made when I was 15 was full of this kind of idiotic crap. People with any sort of writing sense and experience are generally smart enough to stay as far away from the whole thing as possible. But that's not who we're talking to here!

author=mrstinkyfeet
That was a joke, why would I want a retard character?

If I ignored people around here every time their questions were so dumb they had to be jokes.... I'd probably be ignoring 99% of the real questions. And your question was actually a pretty reasonable one, since a lot of stories do have blithering idiots in them. Half the anime I've seen has an imbecilic main character being the world's strongest fighter or something...
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
When designing characters/ a plot, I make my basic plot outline, then flesh out my characters.

Then I can think of scenes/situations and how the character would react. It sounds fairly simple but just conjouring up a scene in your head and just letting them behave as you've designated can not only allow you to get a firmer grasp on them and your story but figure out OTHER traits that would be appropriate.

If not in your head, just grab some paper or a word doc and start just typing random shit. Who knows, you might come up with something good from all the incoherent rambling. Or is that just me?
kyrsty specialized in incoherent rambling on IRC too
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
It can be hard sometimes to flesh out character stories for the late game joiners... Especially if it's a big cast. But everyone should be in the game for a reason.
(nothing I've ever made or wrote fits this rule. Usually I just toss whoever into the mix and let it sort itself out)
I tend to process it the other way around. I flesh out my characters first, then I iron out the plot. I find myself writing the majority of the plot through the characters. It works for me.
Puddor
author=Karsuman
kyrsty specialized in incoherent rambling on IRC too

It's my specialty everywhere.

Anyway I pretty much do what C_L does, though I having a plot at first is generally necessary in order to give the character motivations, goals, reactions, a personality...every moment in a character's life defines them more deeply, just as people are. Think of your characters as people, sponges that absorb information, and apply it to character development.
Well its not that hard to develop a character, ussually it takes alot of thinking on how they will react, conditions etc. trough the storyline but its pretty easy if you make them similiar to your friends,family or people who you meet, you know as they say, life is the best book around.
Puddor
Bonehead, basing them on people is all well and good but the fact of the matter is that it's highly unlikely the people you know will encounter the same issues and problems faced by their fictional counterpart. This means that you can't keep them exactly as they are; they are going to develop and change through new experiences. How they deal with these is up to the writer's discretion.

Another problem is that friendships sometimes fall apart and we end up drifting away from people we thought we knew well. This makes it awkward and touchy to continue writing stories featuring them because of the inability to talk to them on a regular basis. And if the friendship did break up, having that character there probably means you're going to take out your anger on them, putting them into unlikely, reckless and out of context situations just to make yourself feel good while it confuses your player.

A good idea is to take TRAITS from the people you meet rather than fully basing them on the person or even making them similar. Downplaying and exaggerating traits is a good thing to work with as well. You've got to make sure the character fits the time, setting, and plot in a way that's appropriate and engaging.
Ehh I said similiar, not exact copies, sure you loose friends and you get new ones, thats how it goes, but you can base them off from how you knew them, because as you know people change.If you put anger on them, you could make interesting characters, everything bad is good for something and if people are not emotionally developed, then this could help them vent out their issues. I just said looking in your life is easier then creating whole new concepts and sometimes, its better than anything people can imagine.
Basing characters on real life people seems awkward to me. I find it much easier to base the characters on whatever personalities I want them to have then picking one a real person has. And as I said in an earlier post, I can go more in-dept and develop them once I figure out their place in the plot.

I think we have different methods that work for us and what's easier for some, is harder for others. Also, for those who have a poor talent in this field, writing characters may be hard no matter what approach they use.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
I use keywords if I have NO other idea of how to develop a character or why. For example, ALL you know is that you have a sweet, gentle, caring person who eventually becomes jaded and irritable. You'll want to put down your "storyboard."

Sweet and gentle, maybe naive -> Still sweet, losing naievete -> Depressed and hurt -> Bitter and angry -> Jaded and cynical.

This gives you some great direction, because even though you have no specific plot events in mind or already tied to the character, you'll be much more able to plug them into your game.

(For example: "Oh hey, something rather bad just happened to the characters/ is going to happen to them. This seems like a good time to develop Sweetheart Heroine a little further toward being depressed and hurt.")
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah I have a character on my storyboard whose only description is "Dr. Gregory House, Blue Mage"

But I'm pretty good with characters so I figure I'll flesh him out before too long. Plus, I think that's a pretty good start.
When planning character development, it is a good idea to start thinking where he/she begins and where he/she will end up being - somewhat like building a brigde. However, I make detailed thoughts about the upcoming actions of both plot and characters as I continue the plot, comparable to building an underground route.
Pages: first prev 12 last