HOWTO: SETUP WINE EASILY TO PLAY RM2K AND RM2K3 GAMES

Pages: 1
Hello,
I recently tried to play some rpgmaker games on my Ubuntu installation with wine.
I noticed several Problems while i was playing.
1.crappy fonts
2.no midi playback
3.no mp3 playback.

I googled a while and finally managed to resolve all those problems.
To make it easier for other people i wrote some bash scripts that will configure your wine installation for you so you can play the games perfectly :)

So let's get started with a mini tutorial.
The scripts require the following packet to be installed:
wine, winetricks, sed,timidity
After you've installed those 4 packages you just need to extract the scripts and run them like this:
./installfonts.sh
./installmidi.sh
./installmp3support.sh

Here is the download link for the scripts: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1NGGU6HE

I hope that this post will help some people :)
If you used the scripts it would be nice if you could give me a little feedback if everything went well :)

regards,

Haynes

PS: I hope that i posted this in the correct Forum. If not, please move it to the correct one :)
Hey, you should submit this as an article! ...or tutorial!
How do you fix the editor and/or game being horrid slow?
author=kentona
Hey, you should submit this as an article! ...or tutorial!
I'll do that tomorrow after work :) I'm new to this site so i didn't know i could do that.

author=WolfCoder
How do you fix the editor and/or game being horrid slow?
I can't really tell since i have a good pc and the games run fast for me.
You could try to configure wine to emulate a virtual display with 640*480 or 800*600.
just enter winecfg and go to the tab "graphic".

edit: and maybe turning of the font smoothening could help too.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
About setting-up midi in wine I wrote more complex article which explains almost everything - where get good samples, how to set all properly, etc. Unfortunately it is in Polish. I'll translate it, but first of all I need to find it.
author=Rave2010
About setting-up midi in wine I wrote more complex article which explains almost everything - where get good samples, how to set all properly, etc. Unfortunately it is in Polish. I'll translate it, but first of all I need to find it.

Well I didn't want the article to get complex.
There are several Complex Tutorials how to enable the midi support.
But I wanted to create something that the average user can use without needing much knowledge on the bash or needing to read a long tutorial where he has to copy and paste many things..
I created the scripts so users can just execute them once and are able to play the games.
I figured most users won't care why exactly it works now.
The important thing is that it works without doing much.
(We're all lazy after all :P )
Rave
Sorry, I couldn't use installmp3support.sh (other 2 I have already set up). I ran the script, but after it finished executing when I tried to run game with mp3 file I still getting the (in)famous OLE ERROR 800xxxxxx (I don't remeber exact code so I replaced this with x-es).
Thanks for this! Have you tested this with RPG Maker 95, by any chance?
author=Rave2010
Sorry, I couldn't use installmp3support.sh (other 2 I have already set up). I ran the script, but after it finished executing when I tried to run game with mp3 file I still getting the (in)famous OLE ERROR 800xxxxxx (I don't remeber exact code so I replaced this with x-es).

The mp3support script enables support for playing most mp3s. I didn't experience the error yet, but after a while of searching google i found a poster that said he fixed the problem by installing
winetricks allcodecs

@MasterTherion: I have only tested this with rm2k and rm2k3 games so far.
Rave
Haynes, cut off that poor excuse of SoundFont that you using for enabling midi. Instead of this put in the installmidi script:

wget http://www.ntonyx.com/soft/32MbGMStereo.sf2

and adjust config files that you using for timidity. This soundfont has GREAT quality and I use it (it has 32MB, but it is worth downloading). And I'll try winetricks allcodecs, thanks!
author=Rave2010
Haynes, cut off that poor excuse of SoundFont that you using for enabling midi. Instead of this put in the installmidi script:

wget http://www.ntonyx.com/soft/32MbGMStereo.sf2

and adjust config files that you using for timidity. This soundfont has GREAT quality and I use it (it has 32MB, but it is worth downloading). And I'll try winetricks allcodecs, thanks!

I selected this font for 2 reasons.
1.) it is small
2.) it sounds similar to the standard one in windows

I guess I'll add the alternative soundfont to the guide :)
Pages: 1