SQUARE ENIX LOSES ALL SANITY, ANNOUNCES FINAL FANTASY 13-2

@ IF: I like post-apocalyptic games. If there's anything Bethesda did right with Fallout, it was the atmosphere. However, the gameplay, story, characters, and BUGS left a lot to be desired, just like in Oblivion.

Their games just feel so lifeless, and I'm not talking about the atmosphere, but in the way everything is executed. Characters are so stiff, dialogue is wooden, and nothing really excites me in any of their current gen efforts. Combat is generally mediocre; Oblivion's melee combat is poor while Fallout's gunplay is pure garbage. The only thing good about Fallout 3's gameplay was VATS, really. The only time I ever smiled was blowing someone to smithereens. :D

The sheer amount of bugs and glitches in the games also reek of pure laziness on Bethesda's part. They should fire their beta-testers. I had terrible experiences in both games in regards to bugs. One of my saves in Fallout 3 was corrupted because whenever I loaded my game, my character would just die randomly.

@ Feld: Obsidian's writing team is great. It's usually their execution of mechanics and bugs that I fear. After my experiences in FO3 and hearing of the immeasurable amount of bugs and glitches in NV, I'm very cautious to play that game.
Yeah, fair enough. Honestly, though, I think we're just completely different types of players. I guess I'm the sort of person that plays the game for the core game, and really the only times I'm interested in the side stuff is when it will directly help in the main game. I'm also not a fan of stuff like Ultimate Weapons where the oly possible way you will fulfill the requirements for unlocking them is by using a walkthrough and/or doing hours of tedious little tasks(lightning-dodging, anyone?). If, however, I see a treasure chest lying out of the way behind some tougher-than-normal monsters, I will get it. To each his own, I suppose.

(I actually did want more Al-bhed Primers, despite all of the above, but I had no idea where the hell they were most of the time ;( )
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
You're right about the atmosphere. that's for sure.
Maybe it has blinded me from all the bigger problems you mentioned.
which I pretty much all agree with. dialogue sucked really hard, characters were so, so bleh.
And HAHA, the bugs, oh the bugs.
It's sheer laziness, I couldn't imagine being part of some big game making team and releasing a game with so many obvious, disturbing bugs.
Like, really?
Those beta-testers should be fired.
VATS = the sex.
it was always really fun playing with that, gib some poor raider into pieces and make his body shake violently against a wall.

As for the loading bug, that really sucks.
I can see why that'd be a turn off, especially if the character was high level/good gear/etc.
Is anyone here actually interested in Versus XIII, I bought a PS3 250gb slime(For a shockingly cheap fucking $155 AUSD) just to play versus and kingdom hearts 3 when it comes out.
Versus seems like it's going to be 1 of the best games in the franchise.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
TBPH the last FF games I'm buying is Versus and Duodecim. If that sucks, I've jumped ship. FFXIII sucked, FFXII sucked imo, I did enjoy 10 somewhat but I found the battles a little boring at times.

However, I'm a Kingdom Hearts junkie and SE releases some nice anime so uh, not quite jumping the company bandwagon (my most recent favourite anime was published by them, so). I like KH's original storyline and the Disney parts and the battles and the keyblades and well I just love it.
Cept they need to stop putting the games on FUCKING NINTENDO CONSOLES

But FF13-2 just looks like a bad idea. What the hell is she even wearing? Lightning could have had some awesome moments, but all goodness of the characters was sapped away when they got stuck in the 13 shitty storyline of hell. And no sequel, linearity-free or not, can save it.
I think Square needs to get the EA treatment so they can become like Bioware. "NO! TO LINEAR! *WHIP* MAKE IT AMAERICAN LOOKING! *WHIP* MAKE THE BLADE SET ON FIRE! *WHIP* NOT ENOUGH ZOMBIES! *PUNCH*" "HOLY SHIT! THE GAME IS ACTUALLY FUN WITHOUT MASSIVE BACK TRACKING!

Actually, I am sick of KH and FF. They need to start changing the gameplay WAY more. Also, I wish KH would actually put DISNEY CHARACTERS in the plot more so we can see how the world looks through there eyes. So far, I got MICKEY MOUSE is the strongest character in the game.

Looks like it was created by a 13 years old emo goth.
Well, it was created by Nomura, so that's close enough.
Can't wait for Versus, Type-0, Duodecim, and XIII-2.
author=NicoB
My problem with FF 13 wasn't just some of the gameplay issues, but also a majority of the story. The characters were so fucking annoying and their actions made almost no sense at all. Didn't help that the voice acting was atrocious (not counting a few of em').

And yeah, if they remade FF VII, they would be right back on top again.

I agree on FF13. Everybody keeps telling me the game'll get *awesome* if I just put in lots of time, but I just can't stand the characters or story, and the battle system, while it's got cool ideas, just isn't very fun for me. I'm trying not to read spoilers on FF13 in case I go back and finish it, but right now I'm stunned that it's getting a sequel. Seriously... I mean Square's got to have read about the 'mostly-positive' reviews of the game, right? It's not like everybody bought the game for reasons besides its being a main installment in the FF series.

Ah well, maybe I'll go back and play it and be all like OH SNAP and realize the error of my ways and then be super-pumped for 13-2. But right now I don't feel like that's happening..

Also, on the FF7 remake idea... I honestly am unsure. Squenix would make tons of money, but they're doing it already with the strength of the Final Fantasy IP. I just don't trust the company's storytelling abilities anymore and I think they'd make an inferior game (minus graphics that are so much more prettier..!). I really disliked Crisis Core and if they would do the same thing with FF7-Redux, no thanks!

I think Square-Enix, as a company, should hold off on trying to redo FF7 if at all possible, since they could make lots of money with new FF iterations that are designed around newer console hardware. They should only consider an FF7 remake after they damage the FF IP so much with mediocre FF titles that they need to use FF7 (with accompanying rose-tinted glasses) to restore the IP's value.
SquareEnix made 13 games. They must only read Japanese reviews.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
author=heisenman
Looks like it was created by a 13 years old emo goth.
Well, it was created by Nomura, so that's close enough.

ditto
They should only consider an FF7 remake after they damage the FF IP so much with mediocre FF titles that they need to use FF7 (with accompanying rose-tinted glasses) to restore the IP's value.
I guess some people think they are already at that point!

Me, I haven't played an FF since 7.
That's definitely a good thing, kentona. You don't want to play the others.
Meh, I think you're missing out on some great games. To each his/her own, though.

And the Versus style doesn't seem "emo" to me. Such a bastardized term that has lost all meaning.
author=jakandsig
I think Square needs to get the EA treatment so they can become like Bioware.

not happening. square is pretty much the japanese EA nowadays. it just took them longer than EA to get to that point. they don't have anyone hanging over their head, so they can pretty much do what they want.

author=Mr. Y
Also, on the FF7 remake idea... I honestly am unsure. Squenix would make tons of money, but they're doing it already with the strength of the Final Fantasy IP. I just don't trust the company's storytelling abilities anymore and I think they'd make an inferior game (minus graphics that are so much more prettier..!). I really disliked Crisis Core and if they would do the same thing with FF7-Redux, no thanks!

I think Square-Enix, as a company, should hold off on trying to redo FF7 if at all possible, since they could make lots of money with new FF iterations that are designed around newer console hardware. They should only consider an FF7 remake after they damage the FF IP so much with mediocre FF titles that they need to use FF7 (with accompanying rose-tinted glasses) to restore the IP's value.

they're not doing it for quite a while. they've said in interviews that they need to reassemble the team and that it'd take a tremendous amount of work to make an FF7 that takes place in a real-time 3D world.

yoshinori kitase is definitely the go-to-guy on this, though. if he comes back, and he directs the game, then i'd consider playing it.
Fixing SE's mistakes * is Crimson Nocturnal who released a translation of SaGa 2 for DS!

* Well, I thought it was a mistake
author=GreatRedSpirit
Fixing SE's mistakes * is Crimson Nocturnal who released a translation of SaGa 2 for DS!

* Well, I thought it was a mistake

Correction: They didn't. How anybody thought using the script from a game released in 1991 under the stress of limited memory and (I'm assuming) translated by non-native English speakers is acceptable two fucking decades later is beyond me.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Ravenite1
Meh... not another one...

Yeah... I stopped playing the series after FF9... FF10 really pissed me off especially when I found out my main character is a dorky surfer looking dude named Tidus who wears gay yellow shorts.

Megafail.