UPCOMING RMN UPDATES (01/24/2011)

Pages: first 12345 next last
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I just thought I would make a topic about some of the upcoming RMN updates.

Cleaning Up
I am tired of the random senselessness going on in the forums and will be reorganizing them. I like forums and don't want them to get away, but the site message isn't very clear.

There will be a single forum for off topic discussion called "Off Topic".
All the topics from General, Videogames, and Art will be merged into this forum.
Moronic Stuff and Introductions are going bye-bye.

There is too much separation going on here. And there is way too much random jerkhole activity in Moronic Stuff to keep that alive.

Stricter Modding
People run amok here far too crazily and that is going to stop. I have been working on a lot of improved mod tools to facilitate this.

Warning System
This has taken me way too long to implement, but now you people get to feel my wrath and have a record of it! There will be some documentation on the way it works, but to sum it up:

User gets warned and receives X warning points.
If user meets or exceeds Y points, they are automatically banned.
A user's warning points will "decay" back to 0.
If user is banned, they must wait for all their points to decay back to 0 to be unbanned.
You can be warned for anything you post on the site.

This might sound like a lot of negative updates and it will be for some. There's been a lot of drifting recently in the site's feel and attitude and that needs to change! Where are the games? The fun? That needs to come back.

So now here is where you can help!
1) We need a couple moderators who can help keep the peace. I am not really predisposed to anyone so if you feel you can sway me, go ahead and let me know how you can take care of the job.
2) We need more events! We need more things that focus on game making. If you have any fun event ideas, go ahead and post them in the Site Feedback forum.
3) We have a really fun podcast system on the site and nobody is using it! If you and some fellow game makerians want to do some podcasts, talk to me about it and we can hook you up.

Feel free to PM me directly about any of these.

Let's try and make this spring as exciting as possible. There has been a lack of motivation from me because there has been a lack of motivation from you. Let's all change that!
Sounds pretty drastic (in a good way) and cool to me; interesting to see how the atmosphere and dynamic changes in accordance. I was wondering what happened to the podcasts and I was thinking about getting back into them.

It will be interesting to see how this place looks next time I see it in two months.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I'd be up for some podcasts!
Oh, yeah, me too! Sounds like things are gonna change a bit and it'll definitely be interesting to see the results. More events would be nice too.
Wouldn't fusing Video Games, Intros, and Arts together in one topic cause a massive mess of discombobulation?
^ I don't think any of this is up for discussing, so your question is kind of pointless.
P.S. The answer is no.

This will be good. Very good.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
I'm glad these changes are being implemented soon!
Hey! This sounds good. I think it'll be nice to see some changes, especially these specific ones.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=Chairmandrek
Wouldn't fusing Video Games, Intros, and Arts together in one topic cause a massive mess of discombobulation?

Nope. People tend to make pretty spot-on topic titles so there's not really any worry of things turning into a mess.
Thank god. I always wondered why the site didn't have a warning system, truth be told.
author=Lennon
Thank god. I always wondered why the site didn't have a warning system, truth be told.
Because it's a lot of work to implement, and other things took priority. Also, it seemed safe to assume that people would be able to behave in a civil manner.

Boy, were we wrong!
I don't think any of this is up for discussing...

In case it is... (if not, skip it)
I can see how General and Videogames could be merged, but isn't it a bit of a stretch to do the same to the whole of the Arts forum? I mean, some topics such as "music from your country" or "best boss tracks on rpgs" could indeed belong in the Off-topic section, but I think that dedicated threads for people's drawings, pixel art or music need a space of their own, specially if they are related to a game and need feedback. And yeah, game profiles/blogs could serve that function, but still...

Regarding the stricter moderation and warning system, well, I'm not a big fan of either, and because I'm not the troublemaker kind it shouldn't even matter to me, but is just that the atmosphere changes when you know mods are out there to get you, specially with that "you can be warned for anything" kind of rule... does that mean that we'll be left at the complete whim of moderators? so in a bad day, I could be warned for something as innocuous has disagreeing with this topic, for example?
I really don't think the moderators are going to warn you for disagreeing with them. Maybe if you do it in a flamebait/troll way but...

I think the forums are definitely in need of stricter control. Things have changed a LOT since I first joined. It's like a madhouse sometimes.
WIP
author=alterego
I can see how General and Videogames could be merged, but isn't it a bit of a stretch to do the same to the whole of the Arts forum? I mean, some topics such as "music from your country" or "best boss tracks on rpgs" could indeed belong in the Off-topic section, but I think that dedicated threads for people's drawings, pixel art or music need a space of their own, specially if they are related to a game and need feedback. And yeah, game profiles/blogs could serve that function, but still...

Regarding the stricter moderation and warning system, well, I'm not a big fan of either, and because I'm not the troublemaker kind it shouldn't even matter to me, but is just that the atmosphere changes when you know mods are out there to get you, specially with that "you can be warned for anything" kind of rule... does that mean that we'll be left at the complete whim of moderators? so in a bad day, I could be warned for something as innocuous has disagreeing with this topic, for example?

1) The Art forum was actually a bit of a stickler for me to decide to merge. It is a bit more unique than the other forums. However, for the sake of simplicity and consistency, it would best exist as part of the Off Topic forum.

2) If you're not a troublemaker now, you have nothing to worry about. We've never been out to get anyone on this site and that will continue. The warning system is to make it easier for us to slap people on the hands when they are doing stupid stuff and for this hand slap to be documented. Currently I just say "hey guys cut it out" and then forget about it. That isn't a very reliable way of modding.
No possibility of making a new forum within the game development section dedicated to things (art, music) people have actually made themselves that are for/could be used in/are related to game projects? (user-generated content ONLY)

That way it'd be limited to things people have actually made only, and not discussions about art and music (which would belong in the universal off-topic)

Regardless, I still think the changes are for the greater good.
WIP
author=NewBlack
No possibility of making a new forum within the game development section dedicated to things (art, music) people have actually made themselves that are for/could be used in/are related to game projects? (user-generated content ONLY)

That way it'd be limited to things people have actually made only, and not discussions about art and music (which would belong in the universal off-topic)

Regardless, I still think the changes are for the greater good.

I am going to be taking a look at the game development forums as well. They could use a fresh look to them. I'll keep this in mind.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Where are the games? The fun? That needs to come back.

I was having fun making games and was even going to write some reviews until I found out my computer cannot play or testplay RM games without dropping to 4 FPS. : ( Ffffffffuck.

Anyway, I think I approve of these changes (although I'm not sure yet as I haven't actually seen them). I'm surprised there hasn't been more backlash, though, as I don't imagine these changes will be too popular. Then again, I know you're not one to be overly worried about that. : )
3) We have a really fun podcast system on the site and nobody is using it! If you and some fellow game makerians want to do some podcasts, talk to me about it and we can hook you up.

Sounds cool, it's a shame I can't use it =(.

Other changes should be OK, I'm not very familiar with the old system anyway.
author=PsY
Sounds cool, it's a shame I can't use it =(.

Other changes should be OK, I'm not very familiar with the old system anyway.

Maybe it can be reconfigured for youtube videos. A ton of people are making LPs and LTs and such. (Podcasts are so 2004 anyway.)

It'd be cool to see, say, YDS's Let's Try have a "mediaprofile" page with her videos.
Pages: first 12345 next last