UPCOMING RMN UPDATES (01/24/2011)

author=WIP
author=Chairmandrek
Wouldn't fusing Video Games, Intros, and Arts together in one topic cause a massive mess of discombobulation?
Nope. People tend to make pretty spot-on topic titles so there's not really any worry of things turning into a mess.

I meant for the bots that occasionally come and sometimes want to spam more than one topic. If the whole thing is one topic, couldn't the bots more easily place their ads and cause problems? Or have you already thought of a way for that not to happen?
On the introduction front, why not have an unobtrusive link somewhere that shows the last couple of new members with a link to their personal profiles, adding comments to profiles so that anyone who wants can greet them or something. It'd also be an easy way to get in touch with people (though PMs are best for that) or discuss stuff or, I don't know, something?

Also a members list would be nice. Can't remember how many times I've wanted to find a certain member and had to search through the forums for a message to link from. Or even adding members to the search criteria.
author=alterego
so in a bad day, I could be warned for something as innocuous has disagreeing with this topic, for example?

I imagine the "you can be warned for anything" clause is there to avoid people trying to e-lawyer their way out of things by citing mog vs. the state of arizona

regarding the warning system, are warnings accrued by others going to be visible to me? In other words, if I get warned for something, will others be able to see exactly why ala somethingawful's probation system?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Let me clarify the "you can be warned for anything" statement:

You can be warned for any posted content (game, article, image, post, etc.) that breaks rules. It isn't to mean that mods will willy-nilly warn people for things they disagree with.
i'm warning you for saying willy
author=WIP
I just thought I would make a topic about some of the upcoming RMN updates.

Cleaning Up
I am tired of the random senselessness going on in the forums and will be reorganizing them. I like forums and don't want them to get away, but the site message isn't very clear.

There will be a single forum for off topic discussion called "Off Topic".
All the topics from General, Videogames, and Art will be merged into this forum.
Moronic Stuff and Introductions are going bye-bye.

My only possible concern with this would be tossing Art into general, but I'm open to seeing how well it fares in the merged forum.

There is too much separation going on here. And there is way too much random jerkhole activity in Moronic Stuff to keep that alive.

I suppose this was inevitable, but I can live with this easily.

Stricter Modding
People run amok here far too crazily and that is going to stop. I have been working on a lot of improved mod tools to facilitate this.

Warning System
This has taken me way too long to implement, but now you people get to feel my wrath and have a record of it! There will be some documentation on the way it works, but to sum it up:

User gets warned and receives X warning points.
If user meets or exceeds Y points, they are automatically banned.
A user's warning points will "decay" back to 0.
If user is banned, they must wait for all their points to decay back to 0 to be unbanned.
You can be warned for anything you post on the site

This might sound like a lot of negative updates and it will be for some. There's been a lot of drifting recently in the site's feel and attitude and that needs to change! Where are the games? The fun? That needs to come back.

Your site WIP. You aren't happy about a lot of things and you're doing something to fix that. Can't knock you for that.

So now here is where you can help!
1) We need a couple moderators who can help keep the peace. I am not really predisposed to anyone so if you feel you can sway me, go ahead and let me know how you can take care of the job.
2) We need more events! We need more things that focus on game making. If you have any fun event ideas, go ahead and post them in the Site Feedback forum.
3) We have a really fun podcast system on the site and nobody is using it! If you and some fellow game makerians want to do some podcasts, talk to me about it and we can hook you up.

Feel free to PM me directly about any of these.

1) Could I fill this role? Certainly. Would you really want to have me do this? I didn't think so.
2) I'd love to run an event, and depending if it was ok or not, I'd even drop a lil money on a contest. (Your site, so naturally, you'd get the final say on whether or not I could run something along those lines).
3)Well, I am just starting a lil series on youtube involving RM games (I wont go into detail here, cause that would be plugging), but honestly, I'd seriously give this a chance if I was given an opportunity.

Let's try and make this spring as exciting as possible. There has been a lack of motivation from me because there has been a lack of motivation from you. Let's all change that!

I'll put my wager in that this will all actually do some significant good.
We could just unlock and move this topic for introductions:

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/118/

Also, can we save the Video and Jammin' to threads from Moronic before it's purged?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Sounds like appropriate changes to me.
No complaints.

I want to grow up to be a Kentona.
Kentona should be a mod.
The introduction thread getting tossed out actually doesn't sound bad since we just post the same generic "Welcome to RMN" comment. I still think new guys should introduce themselves in some way, like that thread Kentona said, but we don't really need a whole forum section for it.

EDIT: Also. I'm not seeing an easy way to find rules for this site. If I'm just missing them in an obvious location, let me know, but otherwise a tab that says "Rules" on it explaining the rules of the site could go a long way.
The only thing I'm worried about is the art thread since I like them away from any other stuff that would make it hard for me to find such art threads but we'll see how it goes! :D
author=Archeia_Nessiah
The only thing I'm worried about is the art thread since I like them away from any other stuff that would make it hard for me to find such art threads but we'll see how it goes! :D

the obvious solution is another forum-to-thread transformation

*envisions the new offtopic forum submerged under a thick layer of huge one-purpose ex-forum threads*
*imagines then entire forums merged into one mega-thread*

...It'd kind of be like IRC.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
author=MKID232
The introduction thread getting tossed out actually doesn't sound bad since we just post the same generic "Welcome to RMN" comment. I still think new guys should introduce themselves in some way, like that thread Kentona said, but we don't really need a whole forum section for it.

EDIT: Also. I'm not seeing an easy way to find rules for this site. If I'm just missing them in an obvious location, let me know, but otherwise a tab that says "Rules" on it explaining the rules of the site could go a long way.

I didnt know there was rules untill someone sent me a link on IRC and said "reread these rules".
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Isn't there, I dunno, a thead for rules?

*Edit: It wasn't all that hard to find. Being stickied certainly didn't hurt.
There are rules not documented in that thread.
not being a shitty poster is a general rule that should be followed anywhere

as such it's unwritten
i am more referring to the "no pictures of cows" rule
Finally. Peace in the Real Men Network.
author=WIP
There will be a single forum for off topic discussion called "Off Topic".
All the topics from General, Videogames, and Art will be merged into this forum.

I dont think it will work,it will be one giant mish mash, not only it would be harder to backtrack those threads, but it will be harder to generally navigate. There will be tons of art,game,general threads, that they may not fit on the first page,making the forum flooded and not clean. I think Videogames and art should be made seperate again, but what the heck its not mine forum. Jast mah 50 cents yo.