UPCOMING RMN UPDATES (01/24/2011)

Pages: first prev 12345 last
My drawers contain a work of art.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
We should just have a single art topic
There's no need to make a new thread for feedback. Just post in a single thread for the same outcome. Then we don't have to sift through a ton of extra topics.
As an old time RMN'er, I'm glad to see that the site is being worked on and improved. It saddens me to think about how rarely I even pop in anymore, but I felt that the site had just gone downhill. In the good days, everyone was constructive, friendly, and welcoming. The site revolved around game development, and whatever was off topic was intellectual and good discussion. I found that the site slowly became a place for trolls, dickheads, and off topic douchebaggery. What happened to the nice, close community, where everyone was cool, and relaxed about things? Prior to my leave, it seemed like everyone found a reason to argue over everything posted. Each thread slowly derailed into arguments and flaming, and the members I grew up at RMN with slowly faded away.

Alas, I am ranting my opinions, of course, but I do say with honesty that I miss my time at RMN. If these changes that are mentioned on the front page truly do turn for the better, and the site does unfold to be more revolved around game making, perhaps I will slowly creep my way back into the community, and get this production game I've had sitting for years rolling.

Here's to hoping. Please don't take this post the wrong way, as everything stated is merely my opinion on the history of the site.
author=myersguy
In the good days, everyone was constructive, friendly, and welcoming. The site revolved around game development, and whatever was off topic was intellectual and good discussion.

In the "good ol days" we didn't have GW trolls around here, only people intrested in makin games.

And then GW died. guess where the trolls moved to.
Yeah, a lot of people came from GW. Including myself. It doesn't matter where you came from, but what you bring with you. Trolls are trolls no matter where they go, but GW is still there as SaltWorld. If they came here it's because they have an interest in game making, not just trolling.

BTW, the good old days was only about 2-3 years ago. Try being one of the good ancient days crowd. 1999 for life!

That said, can't wait to see what you do with the review system, WIP.
i have an objection

all the fun topics are immeadiately moved into the city dump right when i'm just starting to enjoy them

>:c
myersguy, the best advice given was just to ignore it.

It is very difficult to change someone else's behaviour, so the best thing you can do is change your own - make games, make good blogs, comment on other games. And maybe other people will follow suit.

As for me, I used to use RMN as a gateway to game development, but these days I am not actively making games (all that much) so I use RMN as a diversion.

Also, I came from GW.
author=myersguy
In the good days, everyone was constructive, friendly, and welcoming. The site revolved around game development, and whatever was off topic was intellectual and good discussion. I found that the site slowly became a place for trolls, dickheads, and off topic douchebaggery. What happened to the nice, close community, where everyone was cool, and relaxed about things?

"Be the change you want to see the world." - Mahatma Ghandi
YDS
member of the bull moose party
I honestly do not see this persecution what people claim on here. There's some trolling, but I don't see it as a dominate force over most of the conversations that happen here. For the most part, I see discussion about games, people asking for help, getting help, etc.
*Sigh* It still makes me nostalgia

You just can't have a large and pleasant/friendly website, myers. As a website gets bigger, it gains different cultures (many different ideas of how to act on a forum), it becomes harder to moderate fairly, for every X members Y members are assholes (so having tons of X increases Y even though the ratio is the same), and it gains link and linkbacks which increases search ranking but also contributes to all of the above. There's plenty more factors as well.

On the bright side, having a growing legion is kind of nice. Also, more users more pageviews and you get a couple pennies more out of ads, yay.
author=Dudesoft
We should just have a single art topic
There's no need to make a new thread for feedback. Just post in a single thread for the same outcome. Then we don't have to sift through a ton of extra topics.

And we should have that topic pinned (and the pixels one too) so it doesn't get lost between a ton of other topics.
Pages: first prev 12345 last